“Stayed twice in Naples”

Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #18 of 186 Hotels in Naples

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Welland, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2012

What a beautiful building! My room 131 faced the courtyard and had giant modern windows/doors opening to a spacious terrace with a table and two chairs. It overlooked a stunning courtyard.
The linens in my room were top notch. The bedding linens were so smooth I didn't want to get out of bed. There was a high quality bathrobe in the bathroom. Overall, I found my room spacious, clean and up to date. The ceilings were incredibly high. There were two complimentary bottles of water which is nice because most hotels will charge you! I found the service excellent.
If I ever found myself in Naples, Italy again, this would absolutely be my first choice for a hotel.

The hotel recommended a restaurant for pizza nearby. It's called Lombardi's and I have to say the pizza was out of this world! note: I eat a lot of pizza.

Transportation: Apparently the hotel has a pre-negotiated rate with a taxi service. Fare to the airport is 15 euro (I was charged 25 euro to get here; I didn't know about the rate) and 10 euro to get to the cruiseship terminal. I believe the train station is close (maybe walking distance).

Warnings: There are only stairs to the main entrance. I didn't see an elevator or ramp, but perhaps there is one somewhere?

Also, I arrived on a Sunday. Everything was closed except for some restaurants. The neighbourhood didn't seem like the nicest place to wander. Perhaps that may change today (Monday). There are so many warnings out there about pick-pockets and crime in Naples, so leave any valuables at home. I was told to carry my purse inside my sweater (if I was going to bring one with me). A group of kids (about 4) sort of swarmed me; they wanted to shake my hand, so I let them... while doing so I held on tight to my handbag with my free hand because there seemed to be a lot of commotion. I was told the pick pockets learn the trade a young age.

Room Tip: I loved my room 131 Ask for a room overlooking the NICE courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JulesReviews
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The building, a 17th century palazzo, is beautifully restored. The medium-sized room was facing the inner courtyard and was well-designed and quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful but not overly welcoming. The only feature that turned us off was breakfast - the choice and service was really not worth of a five-star hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RhinelandAway
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 15 May 2012

we spent part of last week and the weekend in naples;we had chosen the Palazzo caracciolo partly because of other customers' advice on Tripadvisor,and ...they were right,or better said,wrong:this place is even better than what has been told;built in an ancient palace in the heart of the city,all rooms are brand new and full of light;we upgraded to a suite (for 30 €) and it was simply superb;roomy,comfortable,with a large balcony with a view on the inside...(that meant that nights were spent in absolute silence-a divine luxury in Naples) By its location,ancient Naples is next door,with all its cultural,historical beauty and the lovable inhabitants.
Shall we add that reception was caring and kind?We travel a lot for professional reasons,very rarely do we find such a quality.We shall come back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank boudrge
Southern England
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This is a lovely hotel, modern and yet so full of character and original features. Everything is spacious and clean. The staff are friendly and efficient - especially Mark in the bar and restaurant, thank you for your restaurant recommendation and for looking after us. At the entrance to the hotel are always suited staff ensuring the security. The reception staff assisted us with directions, internet access, shuttle transfers, taxis, airport transport - very efficient. The bar decor is a little modern and impersonal for my taste but there are lots of little courtyard areas to chill with a drink. The restaurant food was very good although the evening menu was a little limited, we only ate there one evening. The breakfasts were plentiful but cold scrambled eggs. We had a beautiful twin room on the 2nd floor (201) with a lovely sunny terrace, lemon tree, table and 2 chairs, overlooking the central courtyard. The soundproofing is excellent. The bathroom is modern with robe, slippers, toiletries. The room has safe, flat screen TV, phone, hairdryer, minibar, lots of storage space, aircon and very comfortable beds. Each evening a weather forecast card was left in our room. Wifi was not good on the 2nd floor but there are plenty of areas around reception with good wifi. The hotel charged 7 euro for our 3 night stay for the wifi. It is true that the area around the hotel is noisy, busy, scruffy etc but it has a real vibe and we felt perfectly safe day and evening. We walked to a nearby restaurant Pizzeria Lombardi and had a lovely meal one evening. The hotel offers a free shuttle service several times a day to their sister hotel nearer the harbour. Also they offer a fixed priced taxi service to other areas and the airport (15 euro). We used Viator tour company for airport to hotel transfer - very good. We bought the hop-on hop-off bus ticket and did 2 of the tour routes on our first day (22 euro for 24 hours ticket). We used Viator tour company to visit Pompeii and Vesuvius on our second day and then visited Capri under our own steam on our final day followed by a wonderful meal, on Mark's recommendation, to Osteria da Antonio restaurant to celebrate my mother's 75th birthday - lovely evening and round up to our holiday.

Room Tip: facing onto the inner courtyard with a terrace
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Phantasialandfan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I would definitely stay here again. It is right next to the historical centre, with its ancient winding cobbled streets and only a short trip from the airport. It's a lovely peaceful hotel and the rooms are luscious. We had a balcony that looked out onto the street below and down to the bay with Vesuvius looming. It was always impeccably clean and very comfortable and it is not badly priced. I have high standards and have only given it 4 out of 5 as it is not quite perfect, but that is something personal as I feel it could do with more atmosphere.

I note some other reviewers have commented on the staff being rude; however I'm not so sure. We only dealt with reception staff that were happy to advise us on the best places to see, recommend restaurants, and give us maps and book taxis for us. The staff who assist with the breakfast buffet are pretty dumb and you can easily feel ignored, usually resulting in a free breakfast as they forget to ask you who you are. I would not say the hotel was located in a 'rough' area either - the whole of Naples can look a bit rough and dirty in a way; it’s not like one of these snobbish northern Italian cities. Naples has soul and the people we met were very warm and friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple