Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Centro Storico
from US$38.90
More Info
All reviews narrow streets every corner pizza laundry hanging historic center real napoli old naples amazing architecture italian cities galleria umberto royal palace visit naples via toledo graffiti pizzerias gambrinus piazza
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The view of Napoli when you are on top of the Vesuvius is impressive. A little later we found ourselves in the middle of what looked attractive from the top...
The weather (grey-ish) may have contributed to our first impressions, it was mainly the disorder, and lack of care for buildings, walls, streets etc.... I was in Cairo and saw a “dirty” city that was at the same time charming because it was dirt on its way to become something better. In Napels I saw a city in decline. Once Napels was a pearl on the Amalfitano coast, now the city gave me the impression of being in total chaos.
In Belgium we have this small abandoned village “Doel” near the Antwerp Port. Graffiti on every wall of every abandoned house but yet charming because of its (his)story. Napels did not succeed in sharing their stories with me in a way I liked. Before we went to Italy Somebody said people either love or very much dislike Napels. I belong to the latter.

Reviewed September 26, 2018

My daughter and I stopped in Naples on a cruise of the Mediterranean aboard the Norwegian Epic. This was a wonderful, bustling city. Some people hated it. I loved it. The people were some of the more hospitable I encountered on my trip around the Mediterranean.

The Centro Storico was impressive and a fun experience to see. It's similar to the architecture of the Vatican. It was just a short fifteen minute walk through the winding streets of Naples.

Nearby is a busy road full of shops and eateries, and a few nice restaurants serving excellent Pizza. My daughter and I enjoyed a fresh, hot pizza from the home of Pizza itself, Naples Italy. The whole meal with drinks was just E20 with a tip, and the service was top-notch and very, very hospitable.

2  Thank Freda C
Reviewed August 20, 2018

We travel by car to arrive Naples. The city traffic is almost impossible to the outside people. There are garbage everywhere. It was almost impossible to get correct touristic information. After some hours walking in the city we give up and visit the Almafi coast

1  Thank Bassorinha
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Naples was one of my stops during my one month travel through Italy and... let’s just say that the only reason it’s important to get to know Naples’ historic center is so that you know that not all of Italy is beautiful. Streets are dirty, full of garbage and ugly graffitis. Nobody has been taking care of the old historic buildings so they have ugly facades, no paint... everything looks sad and it makes you wonder how wonderful it would be if they had preserved this historic center. In addition, more police than in any other place I’ve visited in Italy is present in Naples and that gives a sense of insecurity.

1  Thank NatalyGrisales
Reviewed August 8, 2018

Wandering those chaotic, crowded, noisy, colorful streets, feeling the city with all your senses makes it really unique and unforgettable.

3  Thank Lukas O
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

We have been to many historic centres in Italian cities, this was the most underwhelming. The whole city looks pretty dark and run down. There are some great sites, museums and a lot of history, but a lot of the buildings look neglected, and once you take the wrong turn you are faced with Naples’ reality of fighting with waste and survival. One of our party stayed in a youth hostel one night which was a nightmare experience.

Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

Came here with fairly low expectations having heard poor reports about Naples from colleagues who have visited recently. The only reason we visited was as a stopping off point on the way to Pompeii and we were surprised by how pleasant this bit of Naples is. outside of this area there seemed very little to recommend the city centre though as it was really quite dirty, with rubbish all over

1  Thank Clive C
Reviewed July 23, 2018

Centro Storico is the heart of the city, I would recommend staying in a hotel that is in/close to the area. So many sights to see, plus amazing restaurants to try, it truly is a place like no other.

1  Thank ZsarnaiL
Reviewed July 8, 2018

The historical part of Naples is amazing from its narrow streets to its incredible churches and artwork. Just to wander through here is a treat, taking in the original Margherita pizza in the city it was created.Loved it and apart from the scare stories that you hear it is so much more.

1  Thank SteveS1970
Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

I may be wrong but my impression (also confirmed by my hotel staff) is that this is where it is all happening in Naples - tons of people any time day or night, lots of bars and restaurants, very vibrant. Being so busy and crowded it is not too clean. I have spent few hours hanging around in day hours and at night, had some food and drinks and generally enjoyed myself. Good for groups to hang out.