“Dreadful Hotel - DO NOT STAY HERE!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Palazzo Turchini

Palazzo Turchini
Ranked #49 of 190 Hotels in Naples
London, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Hotel - DO NOT STAY HERE!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I want to write this review (the first one I have ever written) as I feel that it's only right that I warn other potential guests of my dreadful one night stay at this hotel, room 404.

I arrived late (having confirmed in an email that I would be arriving late) to find that the spacious room 'with a view' that I had requested via www.booking.com was tiny and actually looked over a rubbish dump!

More than that, this was the first of my problems - the bedroom floor and bathroom floors were dirty, had not been cleaned since the last guest, the air conditioning didn't work properly and was stuck on high, the cream bedroom lamps were wobbly and were badly heated-stained brown, the bathroom shower head was rusty and sprayed all over the place, the door of shower was almost too hard to pull closed so let water onto the bathroom floor which was dangerous to step out on, there were no toiletries available other than a tiny bar of soap, (no shampoo, conditioner, nail file, shower cap etc.), there was no bathroom robe, no 'plug' to the bathroom sink in order to wash effectively, thin scratchy poor-quality towels, no rug to go over the bed which was needed as due to the air conditioning, was needed - just a thin sheet cover only available so cold most of the night! Thin foam pillows that were lumpy, ineffective double glazed windows which let in the traffic noise, and thin ceilings so you could hear loud scraping of chairs overhead until very late in the evening. Breakfast was not much better - there was watered down orange juice, fresh fruit left out with no covers, so flies had gathered. I sat there for half an hour before anyone came to see me, and then I was given just a cup of slopped black coffee without a saucer and no milk was offered. A young girl was out on the breakfast balcony blowdrying her hair & applying make up! - for a 4* Hotel I thought this conduct would not have been allowed?? Loud 'dance' music first thing in the breakfast room, was also not conducive to relaxing!

Given all this and after a poor nights sleep, as you can imagine I was keen to check out asap, but upon check out, the staff told me to take a cab to the bus station to get to Amalfi only to find after a hefty cab fare that the buses were all on strike! Surely concierge should know about things like this to relay to guests?? When I came to pay for the room, I explained that I had sent an email a few days before stating that it was just me staying the night (so the charge for a single person should have been €90), but I was still charged for 2 people staying as they couldn't find my email and said it was a 'double room' and that I would have to contact www.booking.com to complain about the other things as it was the Manager's day off and they were not able to charge me the single rate of €90! So I was still charged €110 for this terrible night's stay!

All in all, I was disgusted with the room, it's facilities, the hotel 'facilities' which seemed very poor, the staff members, who were unhelpful and dismissive. This is 2* at very best!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank DCWalker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel within walking distance to all the historical sites, shopping, and waterfront in naples, this is a good option ... the staff was very attentive ... there is a nice little bar off the lobby ... free internet access .... the hotel is in a safe area of naples ... excellent breakfast in a sunny terrace area on the top floor ... rooms and bathrooms are a bit on the small side, as it is an older hotel; but for the price it is good choice ...

Room Tip: ask for a larger room .... worth the upgrade
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank westseattle1005
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

This hotel is a real gem in Naples. Minutes walk from the Beverello Port area for ferries and hydrofoils to all the islands (Ischia, Procida, Capri). Hotel is elegantly furnished and beautifully maintained. Rooms are spotlessly clean. We had a suite (Room 303) which had the added bonus of a small private terrace and a jacuzzi in the bathroom. Price very reasonable and half of what we paid in Rome. Hotel staff were all charming and so helpful to us when we asked their advice on trips and sights to see. They gave us all the information we needed. Breakfast was excellent, served in the 6th floor restaurant, with terrace (weather permitting) - a more than adequate choice for a buffet breakfast. WiFi is free in the hotel reception and bar area.This hotel provides a great base for sightseeing in both Naples and the surrounding areas, especially if you are interested in archaeology and the real Italy. Naples is not overrun with tourists (as are Venice, Rome and Florence) and gives you a feel of the real Italy in 2011. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again in the future.
Grazie a tutti nel Palazzo Turchini.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank julian_asgaralli
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

My daughter and I only spent one night in Naples (from Rome and going on to Sorrento). The Palazzo Turchini was a great choice. It has a great location and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Even though we only had breakfast once at the hotel, it was great; there were a lot of options and the setting was welcoming. It was too cold to sit outside but even the inside seating was pleasant. The hotel room was clean and spacious (especially after spending 4 nights in a small Rome hotel room). Our only comment and suggestion for those visiting Naples would be to actually use Sorrento or other cities as your home base, take the train to/from Naples for a day of sightseeing. The Archaeological Museum and pizza are great but both my daughter and I didn't feel safe or comfortable on the streets of Naples. We were more than comfortable walking the streets (day and night) in Rome but not in Naples. In addition we found the city to be extremely dirty with trash piled up on the sidewalks, graffiti on way too many buildings and buildings really run down.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank FloridaTravelers1418
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

Very nice room. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub which was appreciated after a long day of sight seeing in Pompeii. The staff were incredibly helpful saving us quite a few Euros on tours and suggesting a great resturant.. We really like the breakfast which had lots of choices. The only thing I would say I didn't love was that they had one computer with free internet and in your room you had to pay for it. We had free wi fi at all other hotels we stayed in.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zuzupetals72
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

Very friendly staff, small rooms but adequate for a weekend. However the breakfasts let the hotel down - they would be better not to offer any. Scrambled egg - always burnt and tasteless (possibly a packet mixture), a broken toaster, one set of salt and pepper for the whole restaurant, and fruit juice which was not fresh.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer C
Regina,Sask
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

This hotel is located in the heart of the tourist district, within easy walking distance to great restaurants, the Hop-on Hop-off bus tours location, bars, ferry to the islands, good shopping and all the sights you would want to see. The breakfast was very good and served atop the hotel with a beautiful view. Staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly and had great recommendations as to where to eat and what islands/ tourist things should be taken in.The area was very safe as we walked everywhere late at night.
I would stay there again without question!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple