New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Opera Roma

Hotel Opera Roma
Ranked #454 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Estero, Florida
“Did I stay at a different hotel?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I use TripAdvisor to choose all my hotels and this is the first time I have ever completely disagreed with the majority of reviews. This place was so bad that my husband and I switched to a different hotel within an hour of check in!

First, the entrance is hard to find. We hauled our luggage around Rome for much longer than we needed to because the hotel is a little buried. It is in a good part of town (close to the train station and Via Nazionale), but on a small side street with little signage. I was immediately concerned when there were bars over the doors and we had to be buzzed in.

The lobby was small but the gentleman at check in was very friendly. However, our room was the major problem. I think we got room 102 that people have warned about in other reviews. I'm convinced it's a converted closet. We saw one room with a room number and then a tiny door next to it with no room number, just labeled "private". That was our room! It was so small that we could not lay our suitcases down to open them. Literally. And to walk to the bathroom, I had to walk OVER the bed because I couldn't squeeze by the space between the end of the bed and the "closet". I'm 4'11" and weigh 115 pounds. If I can't squeeze by, that's saying a lot! We tried to be optimistic and my husband opted to take a shower to start fresh. About 60 seconds into his shower, the bathroom almost flooded because the shower drain was so backed up. He had to turn off the shower every minute for a minute to let it drain before repeating the cycle. We had had enough and immediately went to another hotel around the corner on Nazionale to book a new room. (Sidenote: We had a great stay there - see my other reviews!) We then notified the front desk we'd be departing and, to their credit, the man was very sorry and repeatedly tried to upgrade us to stay. BUT why would you put someone in a bad room in the first place? Bad business and we will not be back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank happycj24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

This was not a hotel like you would find at home. It is a small reception area with a small breakfast room just off it, in a building that has ordinary apartments in it. The Hotel owns two floors, in saying that the rooms are lovely, they are clean and well furnished with a mini bar that is very reasonably priced. Were this hotel scores high in my opinion is the very friendly and obliging staff, Lito in the reception was great he gave us a map with all the sights marked of with the easiest routes to and from the hotel with bus numbers to always get us back to the hotel. He ordered taxis when we needed them and stored our bags on the last day. The girl in the breakfast room was great she made the most wonderful coffees and teas any way you liked them with seconds and thirds even, on the last day when my daughter came down late just before our taxi arrived she rushed to get her coffee and a croissant and insisted she ate it so she would not be going out on an empty stomach, they were all so thoughtful. As long as you know it is not going to be a Jurys, but a lovely little Italian hotel then you won't be disapointed with the location or the staff or the good clean rooms. All the sights are about a 10-15 minute walk, the only time we used transport was to go to the Vatican and the pantheon everything else was an easy walk, just to let my fellow Irish travellers know the food in the Irish pub around the corner is not what you would want, stick to the little Italian street cafes or the Macdonalds across the road, if you want something familiar.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Chobham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

When we arrived at the address of this hotel we instantly felt that we had made the right choice. The entrance was very pretty, enclosed, clean and 'Italian looking' with a marble tiled floor and a scenic painted wall to greet you. You get buzzed in everything feels very safe and secure. Reception was very efficient and friendly. The room although small (104) was spotless and well maintained. Tea and coffe making comes free. Mini bar and safe in room. Interms of location, it was perfect. close to the train station (5 mins walk), surrounded by a variety of restaurants. We found the area lively and atmospheric without being rowdy.

Breakfast was continental style, coffee and tea was good and there was plenty of choice to eat, yoghurts, fruit, danish pastries, ham & cheese, eggs etc.

I would recommend this hotel, it was the perfect for seeing the sights and then retreating to for the night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen C
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

100m to Republicca Metro, 300m to Termini main Rome station, supermarket 200m down Via Nationale.......walking distance to so many places or metro....clean,beautifully appointed bathroom and sleeping......excellent friendly knowledgeable staff.....buffet breakfast all you need and all up excellent value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
BELFAST
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

All the good reviews are accurate - location, room breakfast etc. The only thing missing is a nice lounge where you can relax with a beer, coffee etc. The is just a small reception area with 2 computer that you can use free for internet. This would not put me off returning as from what I could see many 3 star Rome hotels did not offer this facility.

Once again good location, very clean rooms and bathroom, free internet + sky sports etc, lovely continential breakfast and good helpfull staff

Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We made on-line reservations for Hotel Sonya. We stayed for 13 nights. When we arrived to check-in, they escorted us across the street to Hotel Opera, which apparently is owned and operated by the same people. The switch was fine for us and not unexpected, because we had read about it in other reviews. Once you have made reservations, any email question that you send to them is answered quickly. I found it quite amazing.

So, here are my observations. Please recognize that I am an American and have done extensive business travel (in the USA mostly) and am used to pretty nice hotels of a 3-star and 4-star level. So be sure to bear that in mind as I give my opinions. Do NOT expect your room to be the equivalent of a Marriott hotel room. If that is what you expect, then expect to pay much more elsewhere.

1. The room was neat, clean, and adequate. It was everything we expected, based on other reviews. It was small, did not have an 'easy chair' or a small table for eating in the room. Again, it was too small to accommodate those amenities and we did not expect it. It had a closet for hanging clothes, plenty of drawers, and a large safe to lock up valuables and laptops.
2. The bathroom was very nice. The towels hung on a heated rack, which was nice because we were in Rome for the first snowfall in 26 years. The shower was all-glass and very clean and suitable. My only complaint is that there were no washcloths. We made do without washcloths. Maybe if we had asked for them we'd have gotten some. (I don't like to act like an American tourist and be too demanding. I want to respect the culture of the host country)
3. The internet was free and adequate. I did not like to get a new userid and password every day, but again, there may be a very good reason for it.
4. The breakfast experience for us was a highlight of the day. The very friendly attendant made us coffee any way we pleased. For us it was cappuccino for my wife and caffe Americano for me. You couldn't buy better coffee anywhere. Plus the attendant remembered our coffee preferences each day.....made us feel quite welcomed. The tables were covered with linen tablecloths. We ate off china, nothing cheap and disposable. The room was very nice and inviting. There were cold cuts and cheese, coffee cakes, cereals, and the most delicious bread-rolls. We ate the bread-rolls every day. There were no hot scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. Again, we appreciate the culture and enjoyed what was presented. Be sure to try the bread-rolls. They look like a rosette and are crusty. We pulled them apart and ate them with butter and jam..... excellent.
5. The staff. What can I say? They were friendly, spoke English, and always immediately took care of any request (such as a burned out light, extra plastic cups, tv instructions, etc). They were also very likable and seemed eager to be of service. I wish we had used them a little more.....some of the Rome attractions were closed because of weather and the staff would have checked for us and saved us a trip. They also immediately knew the appropriate bus line to take to any attraction. They also suggested an alternative to taking the Leonardo deVinci Express Train back to the airport, saving us 16 euros. We also asked them for restaurant recommendations and were pleased with the result. So my hearty endorsement of the hotel staff. They couldn't have been better.
5. Rome is a very noisy, busy city. Some of the guests were occasionally noisy in the hallways during sleeping hours. Our room was not quiet. There was street noise. Sirens, and early morning trash pickup were clearly audible in our room. If you expect a sound-proof room you will be disappointed.
6. Hotel location was tremendous. Close to Roma Termini station and close to Via Nazionale, a main street.. Close to attractions. We took the Metro train to Saint Peter's, but walked to everything else.
7. We would definitely stay there again.

2 Thank KAC1947
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights here on our first trip to Rome. Excellent friendly staff who were very courteous and helpful. Our room was very clean and well kept with heating that we could control and a kettle, hairdryer and fridge. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The hotel is in a great location- about 5 mins easy walk from the main 'terminii' but very near to the city . .no more than 10-15 mins and across the road from the opera. Would definately return ! !

1 Thank thebrookes