“hotel / apartment in Rome”
Review of La Piccola Maison

La Piccola Maison
Ranked #15 of 3,734 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a very nice little hotel near the Barbereini metro stop, though walkable to all major sites - even to the Vatican which was about 30-35 minutes on foot from here, everything else 5-20 min walk (and you are walking through so much other history in the process!) I had the feeling it was a converted apartment - the rooms were more spacious than I expected for a 3 star hotel and my other experiences in Europe, thoughtful decor that bumped it above bare-bones accommodations , water and refrigerator in each room, and staff with many helpful suggestions. I felt a little more like I had rented an apartment rather than stay in a hotel, which I really enjoy when I travel, with the exception that the rooms were turned over and cleaned each day. :) We travelled over easter and frankly this place was the least expensive place and had the best reviews of other comparably priced places, which made me a little nervous that we might get something that looked different than the pictures online. But it was faithful to its online presentation, clean and safe. I usually go with Lonely Planet recommended places as I have found them to be very reliable in several countries for budget accommodations, but had found this otherwise. When I got the new Rome edition - this place was actually one of their "top choices." Would recommend if you are looking for a place under $200/ night, plan to spend most of the day sightseeing, but would like to have a comfortable place to crash in the city during the day if you have your fill of art and culture.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shivani R

Reviewed 19 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Maria Sol D
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This is the first time we visit Europe, so we don't know what to expect. Most of the hotels near attractions are very expensive and have bad reviews. I followed a stream of recomendations and found this B&B.The manager Giorgio is very friendly and speaks good English. You can ask him anything by email and he will reply you the next day. We took his advise using a cab he arranged for us, he greeted us at the front door. He booked us in a one bedroom with queen bed and a sofa bed in the living room on the first floor. The room is very clean and furniture is pretty new. We have two bathrooms, one dining space and a kitchen area with sink, frig and microwave. The whole unit is very roomy. He gave us a map that already marked all the must see attractions and directions to get there. He also wrote down top three restaurants and ice cream shops and marked on the map. The location of the place is not in the center of the attractions but within walking distance. It is good, because you don't have groups of people coming through your place and make loud noises all the time. The hotel has a service lady, her name is Mara. She is very lovely and helpful. If you need anything, you can call Giorgio or you can walk up to her office on the second floor. The whole experience with this hotel is the best. We had a wonderful time in Rome.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JasonSang
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at La Piccola Maison from April 1st through the 4th. My main concerns while looking for a place to stay in Rome were that it was in a safe area and that it was close to major attractions. This hotel definitly fit both of these requirements. Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps were a 5 min walk, while The Pantheon and Campo di Fiore were about a 10 minute walk. Getting to the Vatican was made easy by taking the Metro which is right outside the doors to this hotel. We ate breakfast most mornings at Peppy's or White Bar, which are nice places to go just around the corner.
The room itself was very nice and clean. We stayed in the small room (#4) with a private detached bathroom. Both were very clean.
One of the best parts of our stay here was the service. Giorgio was not only helpful when we got to Rome but also a few months before. He helped me with any question I had about our trip since I decided not to go with a tour group. Mara was also very helpful while we were there with helping us with getting around the city.
Overall, this was a great stay at a great price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michael W
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Very nice little hotel with perfect location and friendly & helpful staff; nice atmosphere, very clean. La Piccola Maison exceeded our expectations Loved this place! Next time I'm in Rome I will definitely repeat.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank tamara_dj
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This review is long overdue...

We stayed at La Piccola Maison in October for 3 nights and it was the best stay of our European trip. The room was reasonable, clean, modern, comfortable, spacious for 2 people, and walking distance to practically all the major sites. This is not a regular hotel, but an inn, it felt like we were staying in a studio apartment with our own keys to the building and room to come and go as we please. Giorgio and his staff offered amazing service from the first email I sent him all the way until I got home and thanked him for the wonderful stay. They arranged taxi's for us, pointed us to the right restaurants, laundry and answered all our questions. We will stay here again the next time we visit Rome and recommending it to all of our friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple