Free cancellation until 28/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$145
US$132
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$151/night.

US$235
US$182
  • Room Service
Hotel Colosseum(Rome)
US$95
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$114/night.

US$141
US$118
  • Bar/Lounge
US$252
US$166
  • Breakfast included
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$127
Hotel Artemide(Rome)
US$331
US$263
  • Restaurant
All reviewssistine chapelskip the lineaudio guideraphael roomsavoid the queuesbuy ticketsst peterspopetapestriesviatormichelangeloeurosmonumentmaps
Reviewed November 13, 2017 via mobile

I only had one afternoon in Rome after a cruise and wanted to do the Sistine Chapel and Colosseum. I started with the Colosseum and arrived at the Vatican with only an hour left before the last people were admitted to the Vatican Museum.

My cab driver dropped me by St Peters Basilica instead of the Vatican Museum where I asked. However, since I had not been there before, I wasn’t sure how far away they were. I saw a huge line of people in front of the Basilica and knew there was no way I would make it into the museum by 4 o’clock if I needed to wait in that line. I was confused about what I needed to do, so took some time to find a map and figure it out.

I realized that the Vatican Museum was to the right of the Basilica walking uphill on a sidewalk for about 10 minutes. I had heard that the lines there are very long, but because I got there about 345, there was absolutely no line and I was able to walk right in. The museum is beautiful and I loved the Sistine Chapel which was my main reason for going. No photography or talking in the chapel.

I didn’t think I would have time to go to the Basilica as well, but I was pleasantly surprised when I walked out of the museum and was right at the Basilica entrance. There was still a line outside, but I was able to completely bypass that. The Basilica was beautiful and I was so glad I was able to see it.

So, my tip to avoid the line is to go to museum towards the end of the day and then straight to the Basilica.

Stayed: October 2017
4  Thank Traveler5280
Reviewed November 11, 2017

This place is busy! Particularly on the Pope's audience days (we went on a Wednesday). Security is really intense for obvious reasons on those days too but there is a strong presence all of the time. The queue for the Basilica etc were just enormous and no-one jumps the line! The official Vatican shop is worth a visit and there a number of freebies in there like the Vatican weekly newspaper that make a good souvenir of your visit too. Enjoy the experience!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard A
Reviewed November 3, 2017

BUY TICKETS FOR THE VATICAN MUSEUMS ONLINE then enter the Vatican at the Vatican museum entrance which is 1/2 mile to the north of Piazza San Pietro. It’s still busy in the ticket hall but you AVOID ALL THE BIG QUEUES.
Follow the tour through the Vatican Museums which, although incredibly busy, are very interesting and beautiful. When you reach the Sistine Chapel you will need to exit in the far right corner opposite where you came in NOT via the left hand door which takes you back into the Vatican museum. This route takes you directly through to the Basilica di San Pietro avoiding the queues in the Piazza as well!
Finally, unless you want a guide, IGNORE THE TOUTS OUTSIDE, your online ticket is all you need.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank 4_Wandering_Walkers
Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

Have wanted to return to the Vatican for years and climb the cupola in the basilica. Didn't book a tour as just wanted the one thing and read on other travellers reviews that lineup is not necessary. I am so bummed we got conned by a tour into buying tickets for the Vatican then according to him the line up wouldn't be long at the basilica and we could go straight in..... wrong!!
Had to wait 20 mins with a large group while we waited for a tour Guide, she was very good but inside is a total nightmare with a gazillion tourists all clambering for a look. Vatican staff telling everyone to be quiet and not take photos which is fair as it is supposed to be s place of worship not a soccer stadium.I felt like a sardine in a can as it was totally packed. End of tour and the line to the basilica was extremely short but u wasn't in the mood for anymore jostling for space. I got separated from my husband as I went out a different way and had a heated exchange with a guard when trying to get back to my family. Would I go again ..... never !

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank DivaGoldCoast
Reviewed October 27, 2017 via mobile

Going in to see the museum and the sistene chapel I would strongly recommend you book beforehand going by the queues. It seems one week a month it is closed so check before you go. The paintings on the ceiling are amazing just a shame about all the people

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends