“Huge! Lots to see, give yourself time!”
Review of Vatican

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rome
Vatican
Ranked #349 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

If you visit the Vatican, make sure you give yourself a day to do enjoy it, not just a few hours.
We bought our tickets on line early for early admission with breakfast. Worth the few extra bucks. Even late November, a crowd was developing quickly. So we were glad to have the early admission tickets, especially since in was cold outside. By the time Breakfast was over, the weather warmed up a bit.
Breakfast was a plentiful buffet and they allowed all the time you needed. Coffee; tea & juice were included.
We did not due a tour, because we wanted to take out time and go at own pace, but we heard other tours that sounded quite interesting and informative even while we were waiting in line outside. They also had audio tours for those wanting to go on you own, which seemed like a good idea, except it seemed everyone with the audio tours had to stop right infront of everything while they listened... so standing in the way of others wanting to view or take pictures.
The museum is huge, so don’t expect to walk through in just a few hours, plan a day.
There are restaurants; cafes & a pizzeria inside, so you don’t have to leave for lunch.
Children and teenagers get a discount.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Alyssa E

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

I only had one afternoon in Rome after a cruise and wanted to do the Sistine Chapel and Colosseum. I started with the Colosseum and arrived at the Vatican with only an hour left before the last people were admitted to the Vatican Museum.

My cab driver dropped me by St Peters Basilica instead of the Vatican Museum where I asked. However, since I had not been there before, I wasn’t sure how far away they were. I saw a huge line of people in front of the Basilica and knew there was no way I would make it into the museum by 4 o’clock if I needed to wait in that line. I was confused about what I needed to do, so took some time to find a map and figure it out.

I realized that the Vatican Museum was to the right of the Basilica walking uphill on a sidewalk for about 10 minutes. I had heard that the lines there are very long, but because I got there about 345, there was absolutely no line and I was able to walk right in. The museum is beautiful and I loved the Sistine Chapel which was my main reason for going. No photography or talking in the chapel.

I didn’t think I would have time to go to the Basilica as well, but I was pleasantly surprised when I walked out of the museum and was right at the Basilica entrance. There was still a line outside, but I was able to completely bypass that. The Basilica was beautiful and I was so glad I was able to see it.

So, my tip to avoid the line is to go to museum towards the end of the day and then straight to the Basilica.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank Traveler5280
Reviewed 11 November 2017

This place is busy! Particularly on the Pope's audience days (we went on a Wednesday). Security is really intense for obvious reasons on those days too but there is a strong presence all of the time. The queue for the Basilica etc were just enormous and no-one jumps the line! The official Vatican shop is worth a visit and there a number of freebies in there like the Vatican weekly newspaper that make a good souvenir of your visit too. Enjoy the experience!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard A
Reviewed 3 November 2017

BUY TICKETS FOR THE VATICAN MUSEUMS ONLINE then enter the Vatican at the Vatican museum entrance which is 1/2 mile to the north of Piazza San Pietro. It’s still busy in the ticket hall but you AVOID ALL THE BIG QUEUES.
Follow the tour through the Vatican Museums which, although incredibly busy, are very interesting and beautiful. When you reach the Sistine Chapel you will need to exit in the far right corner opposite where you came in NOT via the left hand door which takes you back into the Vatican museum. This route takes you directly through to the Basilica di San Pietro avoiding the queues in the Piazza as well!
Finally, unless you want a guide, IGNORE THE TOUTS OUTSIDE, your online ticket is all you need.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank 4_Wandering_Walkers
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Have wanted to return to the Vatican for years and climb the cupola in the basilica. Didn't book a tour as just wanted the one thing and read on other travellers reviews that lineup is not necessary. I am so bummed we got conned by a tour into buying tickets for the Vatican then according to him the line up wouldn't be long at the basilica and we could go straight in..... wrong!!
Had to wait 20 mins with a large group while we waited for a tour Guide, she was very good but inside is a total nightmare with a gazillion tourists all clambering for a look. Vatican staff telling everyone to be quiet and not take photos which is fair as it is supposed to be s place of worship not a soccer stadium.I felt like a sardine in a can as it was totally packed. End of tour and the line to the basilica was extremely short but u wasn't in the mood for anymore jostling for space. I got separated from my husband as I went out a different way and had a heated exchange with a guard when trying to get back to my family. Would I go again ..... never !

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank DivaGoldCoast
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Going in to see the museum and the sistene chapel I would strongly recommend you book beforehand going by the queues. It seems one week a month it is closed so check before you go. The paintings on the ceiling are amazing just a shame about all the people

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria R
Reviewed 25 October 2017

Probably the best site to visit in Rome. Expect to spend at least a whole day to visit everything (at the Sistine Chapel you will spend at least an hour!). just don't make the mistake that we did; we bought tickets online to 'skip the line' and paid 5 euro extra a piece. When we got there we realized there is no such thing as skipping the line and we had to wait our turn just like everyone else!. The lines are not that bad as long as you go early. So buying the tickets at the counter one you get there will work out just fine.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business