“Gigli d'Oro Suite”
Review of Gigli d'Oro Suite

Gigli d'Oro Suite
Ranked #287 of 3,712 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Our stay at this boutique hotel last August was (nearly) perfect. This recently renovated suites hotel (that 2 years ago was the residence of a countess) is located right next to Piazza Navona and the Castel San Angelo. It is a modern, fully updated, sparkling and cozy property that we were happy to call our home in Rome. The experience started actually few days before our arrival where the hotel wanted to make sure that every detail has been taken care of' (like how do we plan to arrive and around what time). The room was ready for us and so was the open bar! When we "complained' that the bar closes too early at 8pm, they made sure that my favourite bottle and glasses transferred to my room where they stayed at my discretion for the remaining of my stay. The entire staff was extremely helpful and took care of all our requests efficiently and effectively. The only little minus is that there was some construction going on next door that forced us out of bed a bit too early in the morning (hopefully, it is over by now!) . Highly recommended place, we will definitely return. Thank you for a most enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Each room is different. Inquire about size and layout.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tony N
There are newer reviews for Gigli d'Oro Suite

Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stylish Boutique Hotel in the Old city center. Everything is in close vicinity, Trevi, Phanteon and the lovely Piazza Navona. Suites are stylish, eye for detail and very comfortable. Excellent staff, top notch service.
Highly recommend and will come back over and over again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed here as the second part of our honeymoon trip. The room was very tastefully decorated and the bathroom was clean and modern albeit a little on the small side. The location is fantastic, near to the lively Piazza Navona and the Pantheon but the building itself is tiny. The staff were always courteous and helpful although reception closes at 8pm which I thought was a bit of a let down.
On the down side there is no pool, gym or spa which for the price I thought was disappointing. But I guess you don't visit Rome to spend all day indoors. It's a bit of a unique experience staying here, very intimate. But at the same time, you feel like it lacks something. There are places in Rome which are just as well located which may offer a bit more for your euro but this place is just different. Very cool but very pricey, too pricey.

1  Thank Dickie2012
Reviewed 21 September 2011

LETTER FROM CUSTOMER TO CEO, Hotel Gigli D’Oro Suite

Hi Mr. Mosca,

First, I will tell you what I liked: The clean, modern architectural design, the fantastic location, the size (not too large) of the hotel.
These are the reasons I selected your hotel. I also appreciated the breakfast.

However, there were various areas that were problematic, some large and some small:

1) BIGGEST PROBLEM: Internet access was a most important element of my choosing a hotel. Unfortunately, when I arrived I found that the laptop in my room did not work; it would not even turn on. The manager told me that my husband and I should go out and have dinner while he fixed it. When I got back, I could turn on the computer, but there were several problems. The keyboard showed the "@" symbol, but I could not get the symbol to type such that I could log into into my email / gmail account. I found out the next morning, that the key on which the @ symbol is shown on the keyboard, does not work. One had to press two other entirely random keys to get that symbol! Thus, I could not log into my email. Second, the computer was set on Russian. I can't read Russian, and I could not find a way to get the machine to change to English. The hotel should make sure that every computer is ready to use in the language of the guest, and that special instructions on how to use the keyboard in things like the "@" symbol which are not obvious or logical. Aside from that, it would be nice to have a mouse to control the cursor. The control pad is very clumsy to use.
I sought help from staff, but by then it was past 8PM. I looked throughout the hotel for staff...no one! I tried calling from the phone...nothing! By then, I was furious not only about the computer, but the lack of any service in this hotel which is not inexpensive. Even in a two star hotel, I would get better than zero service past 8pm. What makes it most frustrating is that there was no warning that the place turns into a ghost town after 8pm as far as staff.

2) BIG PROBLEM: As noted above, lack of staff after 8pm, and no warning in advance of that situation.

3) SMALL ISSUE: When I asked the manager about good places for dinner, he just pointed at the advertised restaurants displayed on the monitor in the lobby. I asked if those were the best places, and he did not want to lie, but could not say yes. Instead, he said something like, choose for yourself. I got the sense that he was not allowed to recommend restaurants unless they were the advertisers paying the hotel. We ended up at a restaurant close by where the food was horrible.

4) SERIOUS PROBLEM: There was dried blood on our sheets, and the blood wasn't mine or my husbands! I wondered if we had slept on unwashed sheets. In the morning, I told the manager, and he sent a staff person to check it out. He confirmed it was blood, and assured me the sheets were washed but the blood stain was not washed out. I don't know how he could be so sure of that, as the blood looked pretty dark. In any case, blood stains on hotel sheets is not a good idea.

5) SMALL ISSUE: I have asked the staff to not address me as "Mrs."; I am "Ms." This is a small detail, not a complaint. At least in the U.S., the title "Ms." is any woman married or single, and "Mrs." connotes wife of someone. Thus by calling me "Mrs. ----", it implies I'm married to my father. (Not a pleasant idea.) The safe thing in English is to refer to women as "Ms."

6) FRUSTRATING ISSUE: The cab driver dropped us off at the street not far from the hotel, but could not find the front door. He just pointed down the street and indicated, go down there. The signage for your hotel is so hard to find, that we walked right past it and wandered around dragging our luggage over cobblestones looking for it for about an hour! No one we asked could help us find it, even looking at the print out map from your website. Your map should show more specific instructions of exactly where the front door of your hotel is located. Your entrance on the street should be better marked with more prominent signage (if allowed).

In summary, my experience was sub-par. Given the above issues, I request a 50% discount on our room charge.

I hope that my comments are useful, and will make your hotel a more successful and popular destination.
I had thought about posting my complaints online, but am refraining from doing so in hopes that your asking me for my comments will be enough to make a difference in your future operations.

M. Wong

RESPONSE OF HOTEL AND CUSTOMER REPLY TO HOTEL RESPONSE (UNDERLINED)

Hello Ms Wong,

Thank you very much for answering my email.

I personally checked all of our computers and they are all set to English.
(CUSTOMER REPLY: Do you think I made it up or imagined Russian? The staff may have changed it after I told them about the Russian. )

As far as the @ button is concerned, that's how our computers all work (Ctrl+Alt+@).
(CUSTOMER REPLY: The buttons the staff showed me were two completely random ones, neither of which were Ctrl + Alt + @. )

We state on our web site and on the confirmation and check-in emails that our reception is opened daily from 08:00 - 20:00. Night shift personell arrive at 22:00.
(CUSTOMER REPLY: That does not clearly state that there is absolutely no way to even contact someone by phone.)

All the restaurants displayes on our "Touch Screen" are places that we collaborate with from the beginning and can guaranty their quality. For us one is the same as another, but it has to be the guest that makes the choice.
(CUSTOMER REPLY: In other words, you admit that your staff's candor is limited by your selling out for money to certain local restaurants.)

As you can notice above, I addressed you as "Ms".

Sorry for how the cab driver treated you, but he does not work for us.
(CUSTOMER REPLY: That problem is not the driver's fault. It is the hotel's lack of clear directions.)

Unfortunately, the authorities do not allow more prominent signage of the hotel.
(CUSTOMER REPLY: That does not surprise me, but the authorities do not prevent you from making a better map.)

As far as the blood stains on the sheets are concerned, I totally agree with you that that's a SERIOUS PROBLEM. I talked to my staff and to the laundry company and they assured that the sheets were clean when they made up the bed.
(CUSTOMER REPLY: Really? How can they be so sure? If they didn't even notice the long blood streak, doesn't sound like they were paying much attention to the state of the sheets, especially something not as visually prominent as to whether they were washed. )

I am very sorry for all the things that happened during your stay, but can't grant you a 50% discount as you requested.

N.B. Your comments will definately make a difference in our future operations.
(CUSTOMER REPLY: That assurance is belied by your responses. )

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Emiliano Mosca
CEO

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank mmm356
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We are seasoned travelers and this hotel was delightfully outstanding. Beautiful large rooms with ample sitting sleeping and cupboard space. A gorgeous breakfast room with beautiful fresh roses and treats all day including champagnes and liquers and cakes. Bathrooms excellent with 3 different shower heads and the service was wonderful.the concierge booked restaurants and travel plans and itineraries were all no trouble. We will return and can fully recommend it.it is close to piazza novonna great restaurants and we walked to all the major sites.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Gigli d' Oro was an interesting and very luxurious hotel. It offers you great flexibility due it's great spot. A must stay hotel for those looking for luxurious life but at the same feeling the cozyness.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

Overall an amazing stay and a great boutique hotel, perfectly located in the heart of Rome centered around most of the top attractions (within walking distance). Staff were excellent and accommodate to our every need. A few constructive comments, hot water was not very hot and we did not find any TV channels in english (although there may have been, as there was hundreds of channels). But neither of these really bothered us. The Gigli d"Oro suite in which we stayed was overall fabulous! We would return in a heart beat!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple