Hotel Traiano
US$343
US$322
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$142
  • Room Service
Amalfi Hotel(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$175
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstrevi fountainpiazza veneziaroman forumexcellent locationmain roadpastrieswalking distanceminute walkbooked a double roomheart of rometea and coffeerooms were very cleanvia nazionalemain attractionshotel is locatedvatican citystayed for nights
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The information in these reviews are correct. This is not a 4-star hotel. I say this not because this is an older hotel with small rooms, I like hotels with charm and character. But this one definitely needs some upgrading. Street side you are not going to get much sleep with busy traffic and no double glass to keep the noise out. Ask for inside rooms if you're staying here. The shower in the bath is old so dont expect generous amounts of water, although the water that comes out is warm. There was no safe to keep my valuables (I was in 212) but reception was nice to keep a bag for me. Wifi is 10 euro for a day and 5 euro for every next day. The system kicked me out however every time my ipad went to black so I had to reenter the code dozens of times. Breakfast room is impressive but breakfast selection is limited, on the upside they have very good fresh croissants. Finally, on the positive side, staff is helpful and speaks quite good English. If you're looking for places to eat, dont turn left towards fontana di trevi, you will find tourist places only. Go to the roundabout and follow the narrow street in front (via panisperna), walk to the Via di Serpenti and turn right, lots of nice shops and restaurants in this area. I had dinner at a trattoria at Via Leonina. The hotel also recommends Restaurant Petrucci, on the roundabout turn left Via 24 Maggio and then its in the first alley on the left: Via della Cordonata.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that are not on the streetside!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank indegloria
Reviewed April 5, 2012

To start with, it is on a very good location-close to everything. Rooms are nice and clean, but not very spacious. Bathroom is quite small, and be very cearfull ander the shower, because hot and cold water is not mixing steady the same. Breakfast is very good for average hotel. Staff is nice and helpfull enough but not overwellming. By my judgement this is an exelent 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: ask for rooms looking to the back street
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Before I go any further, this hotel was probably in the best location in Rome. Night time when we arrived so wern't really aware of where we were until the morning, and what a great surprise. 5 min walk from the Forum and Colloseum (well we do walk fast), and 10 minute walk from just about everywhere else. Absolutely perfect situation.

The hotel itself looks very impressive on first arriving and the room was spotlessly clean with clean towels each day, however the room we were in overlooked a very spooky disused hotel with old air conditioning units and a dodgy smell so we didn't open the window, in fact we didn't look out as it was so hideous. Shower was brilliant, but the bath to stand in was the width of my foot so if mobility problems then could be tricky. Very small bathroom and couldn't open the door fully because the towel rail and bidet were behind it so if bigger than a size 14 you probably wouldn't squeeze in. However, it was clean and enough towels. we did have a small 'ant' problem but the staff sorted that out quickly. The room wasn't for relaxing, no tea, coffee etc and no view (as mentioned earlier) so consequently after 12 hours walking we didn't want to go back for a rest so we ended up sitting in cafes or on benches until bed time, this was actually a bit of a pain, but we managed. The TV was also a problem, we couldnt work it out, asked the staff who came and helped, but then it was all in Italian !!! too much bother to get him back so we sat staring at the walls for a while until we fell asleep. No noise from our room but thats because we were facing the air conditioning units !!!!.

Breakfast was fine, usual continental fayre, nice coffee, nice bread and cheeses. Overall the hotel was OK but very dated and shabby with a strange smell. . Only met 3 staff who were a little brusque but we wern't there to be friendly and saw no other guests apart from 1, we actually thought the hotel was a bit spooky. Had a great time, wouldn't stay at this hotel again, but it was ok.

Room Tip: Avoid room 203, small and smelly
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2012

... making it so easy to walk to all the fantastic sights and monuments - Rome is fantastic!
However, for a 4 star hotel it was a bit lacking. Our shower was iffy, the breakfast rolls were not the freshest and they kept running out of croissants (brioches) and the noise from our front bedroom was horrendous - even using ear plugs! Although we got a good bargain and didn't pay the full price, some people must and I think they would be disappointed.
But it IS a fantastic location and you are in Rome so ...!
Great traditional restaurant 2 mins away called Melo - great hospitality and food.

Room Tip: Don't sleep at the front unless you are hard of hearing!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chipuba
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I booked this for a surprise birthday trip for my wife and I. Having no previous experience of Rome, I took a bit of a punt with this one using the reviews and the location map!
We were not at all disapointed. The hotel is in a great location directly across the road from the Roman Forum.
A 10 minute walk will get you to the Colloseum (perhaps longer, as the is so much to take in along the way). Turn right as you leave the hotel and follow the road around, and you will find yourself amongst the hustle of the streets of Rome, with bars & restaurants aplenty!
We managed to pack a lot into 2 days, but its simply too much for just one weekend!

The hotel itself is very Grand in the inside and the rooms are well decorated (obviously I can only comment on our standard room). The reception staff were very helpfull and spoke good English.
The shower was hot and powerful, with a bath (should you find the time). Tv had satelite (but didnt use it). Breakfast is conntinental and smelt great but.... we didnt take advantage! We out early and back very late, which is whats needed in order to explore this fantastic city as best you can!
If looking for a hotel in Rome, acknowledge that the buildings are very old, and in some cases may not have the best veiws as the city wasnt built that way!

My tip- Dont worry about the view from your room, get out amongst it as the views will blow you away!! The hotel Traiano is a great place to start!

Room Tip: Asking for a room at the front will secure a view of the Roman forum, but the price paid is the extra traffic noise from the road out front!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple