“Mixed feelings”

NH Roma Leonardo da Vinci
Ranked #321 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed twice at this hotel last summer and have mixed feelings. The location is OK, in a quiet residential area, and at walking distance to Vatican and Piazza Navona.

The first time I stayed I was put in a renovated room, which was very nice. I had heard about bed bugs, so I checked everything and can confirm there was no issue in my room. The second time I stayed, was a big surprise !!! I opened the door to find an old and smelly room the size of a closet !!! Had to put my suitcase sideways so it would fit between the twin bed and the wall !!

Having the experience of the renovated room, I went back to the front desk and asked to be relocated. I was told so many different stories : 1. there was no other room available, and to come back the next day. to which I had to argue that some people from my company were leaving later that day, and for sure their rooms will be made available ! then I had the 2nd story : OK, you will have to wait after 16h00 (in 2 hours). I told the lady I would wait and handed her my NH fidelity card and suddenly a key for a renovated room appeared in my hand ! (...) .

Being aware of that and having seen the huge difference in the quality of the rooms, I would not recommend this hotel to someone going on vacation, knowing there are chances that they will be given an old room and might not be able to change for a renovated room. Once all the rooms are renovated, I believe this will be a decent hotel and would recommend it for a stay in Rome.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
11  Thank Ballenita_17
There are newer reviews for NH Roma Leonardo da Vinci

Reviewed 1 November 2011

The hotel was definitely in a great location and the breakfast was good. One night the hairdryer didn't work, and although they sent someone right away to see about it, they didn't have another to replace it. The next night the air didn't work and again they quickly sent someone to fix it. They were nice enough to move us to another room at 11:00 PM. I would not say that the room was especially clean and definitely needed updating. All in all a fair place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joga3643
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This would be my 11th stay at this property since 1992. I have watched the hotel go through all kinds of changes. This visit I was in a room on the 2nd floor, and the rooms are getting a bit tired, however, in Rome, quiet comfort is key. If you are a busy tourist, you need your sleep. I have stayed at other hotels with much more "character" and got much less sleep. If you like a sociol scene in the hotel bar, or the charm or an old world hotel, go elsewhere. If you want a good nights sleep, in one of the best locations in Rome, this is it. Best breakfast buffet in Rome.

Room Tip: Spring for the extra euros for the superior room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank MrSunshine777
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We booked for three nights prior to our cruise. The location is very convenient. Located in a safe neighborhood near the Vatican. Great breakfast. We booked a shuttle to pick us up and deliver us to the port. The room was not large, but quite comfortable. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank traveler3795
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed here 3 nights and although the rooms are quite small for european standards it was quite pleasant. All the hotels we stayed in in Italy had horrible mattresses...hard as a rock...The breakfast buffet and the location of the hotel are really great! We would definitely consider staying here again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jojo2008
Reviewed 22 October 2011

For the price it is outstanding. The location can't be beat. 15 min walk to Vatican, 20 walk to other major attractions. Free WiFi in lobby (30 min intervals) worked fine. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank PnJ_LR
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Very nice hotels in a good location ( 15 min walk to most piazzas and Vatican) but still very quite: we were located on lower floor heading the road .. and didnt suffer from any noise. Breakfast very good. Room was clean and well maintained , but small and could use re-cleaning of the wall carpets.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple