1,933 results
All reviewsrooftop barvia flaviaroof gardenlovely hotelrecommend this hotelwithin walking distancemain attractionsquiet streetspanish stepspastriestrevi fountainshort breakcity breakst petersreception staffaround the cornerbreakfast room
Reviewed May 10, 2012

A 3-night stay in room 210 which stank to high heaven and which was particularly bad in the morning. The cause was definitely the bathroom, and there is a definite plumbing problem which needs to be addressed immediately. I notified the Reception twice and again when I checked out, and maintenance did try and fix the problem, temporarily, but within a few hours the smell (akin to a blocked drain) was back.

My travel companions stayed in room 632 and had an unusual bathroom set up, where the shower was in their room, not in the bathroom. The bathroom itself was tiny and they found this very unpleasant.

The wardrobes and the safe were fine and the location of the hotel is quite good, not really central, but within 20-30 min walking distance of the Barberini Metro/Area.

On balance, I find I cannot recommend the hotel due to the poor customer service experience I had, however, I do have some positives to share:

Positives:
- Rooftop terrace, very tranquil and relaxing
- Good security and safe
- Pizza kiosk opposite hotel offers tasty pizza slices for 1 Euro (more delicious than the restaurants)
- Friendly staff who help book tours
- Book Hopon Hopoff Bus

Tips:
- If you book your Hopon/Hopoff Bus Tour on the bus itself (Green, Rome, Open Tour Bus) you get a booklet with vouchers that include a 10% voucher for the Marcella Hotel! If you book this at the hotel then the voucher isn't included!
- Do the half day tour with the Colosseum, Forum, Palatio - it's great value for money 33 Euros and you beat the queues (note there's a lot of hanging around at the beginning waiting for others, but it's worth it)
- VATICAN: Book online in advance and you'll avoid the enormous queues
- Visit Shelley/Keats Memorial House (if you're a fan) it's right next to the Spanish Steps
- Visit the Babington Tea rooms for tea/scones at Piazza di Spagna (next to Spanish Steps)
- Visit the Greco Coffee House (oldest cafe in Rome) at the same Piazza

Enjoy a lovely trip to this City, and avoid the rooms 210 and 632 in this hotel!

Room Tip: Avoid 210 (bad plumbing) and 632 as it has shower outside of bathroom Rooms to the back of hotel are dark, but quieter than on the street
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank HeatherMegaMauriFan
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My partner and i booked into this hotel after being unhappy with one we had booked over the internet. (Gabriella hotel)
We couldnt have made a better choice because this hotel is simply gorgeous, rooms were splotless and spacious and our room had a brilliant view.
He even popped the question on the terrace in the evening over looking rome and drinking cocktails, it was perfect.
Staff are very helpful and friendly i would 100% recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sadie L
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The hotel itself is located down the a little backroad about 15ish minutes walk from the centeral but stop (not far from the Trevi Fountain) Location wise you are pretty centeral but i would be aware that you will need to take a taxi or two, and i would certainly recommend getting an open top tour bus ticket for the duration of your stay, as me and my friend used this bus not only to tour but to get around with too (i recommend the green bus)

On entering the hotel Lobby the first impression is fantastic, the staff are very friendly and the lobby, although small is beautiful. It has a traditional Italian charm to it, without feeling dated. Lovely ! When escorted to our room we were pleasantly suprised, its always a hit and miss with hotels when it comes to the rooms, but this one way lovely ! very clean and fresh, not modern but perfectly put together. No problems there. There hotel lobby had a free laptop and wifi to use through out the stay, and i used on numerous occasions to sort out my banking and felt very safe doing so.

The breakfast was always plentyfull and fresh with a good choice of foods. Fruit, pasteries, cooked food, breads, jams, meats, yogharts and plenty more. We never ate there in the evening as we felt it was importnant to go out and try lots of different italian resturants and cafes (i would recommend this for sure !) The view from the terrace is fantastic, very beautiful, you can see this from the breakfast room/resturant.

On most evenings we headed upto the hotel bar, where we set up a tab and casually enjoyed plenty of different cocktails from the loooong menu that was provided. There was fantastic, very well made infront of you and always very yummy ! (i recommend the daquori's and champagne cocktails) The bar staff were FANTASTIC !!!!!!! there made our stay that extra special, they were funny, chatty, great for recommendations and brilliant hosts ! We had so much fun sat up at the bar drinking our wine, chatting to the italians and overlooking the city at night till the early hours. BUTTTTTTTT please be carefull as its so easy to forget about the tab that you are acumilating and i ended up with a tab to pay for me and my friend of over $200 !!! I would say its totally worth it, but be wary. Maybe pay as you go??

Italy itself is AMAZING! i think everyone should go at some point in there life, a must ! I always imagined that i would go with a partener, but i ended up going with a friend and had the best time. We drank champagne, shopped, saw the art and architecture and loved every minute of it. I would say make sure you have plenty of money when you go, im sure you can do Rome on a budget but its very nice to be able to sample the finer things whist there too. I would say we found a happy medium. I recomend all the obvious tourist hot spots (they are hot spots for a reason) i would also say make sure you ahve a look around all the little side shops and butiques.

We ate in lots of different resturants, Italian food is some of the best i have eaten in the world and im lucky to have travelled and eaten in many wonderful places. One day we ate at a back alley cafe for $6, had a tomato pizza and it was sooo yummy and fresh! and the next we ate at a gallery resturant for $60 a head and found them equally as brilliant but for different reasons.

All in all a fantastic holiday and the lovely hotel ! We were very happy with our stay and i litterally cant find anything to complain about. If you want a sweet and traditional Italian hotel with character and great staff this is the place for you. i would say eat out as MUCH as you can ! Great for a base if you dont mind a little bit of walking...

If your going to Rome soon these are my tips:

1. get an open top tour bus ticket for your duration, use it to get around. The open top tour in itself is fantastic ! So much more of italy to see than anyone realises.
2. Have some extra cash saved up as you will need it for sure !
3. Save money by eating at little italian cafes in the day ($6 pizzas/pasta) then you can
treat yourself in the evening to more expensive meals like italian meats and seafood
4. Shopping is really good but more expensive near the spanish steps, the best place to go to is the little side alley shops of the Trevi Fountain.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank jade a
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Hotel was great, good room and lovely roof terrace, the hotel was quite little traffic noise, only critism was noise from the emptying the bins on street at 5.00 am every morning but my guess is that the same would be true anywhere on many streets in Rome.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at back of hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This hotel was delightful. Superb staff, who couldn't do enough for us. A wonderful Garden Terrace which was so relaxing after a busy day in Rome. Breakfast was lovely and fresh and it was great to have fantastic views of Rome whilst eating.
There was a lovely restaurant over the road with twinkly lights where we had a few lovely pizzas and wine!
Would definitely recommend this hotel. It is in a quiet area but only 15 minutes walk from the edge of the city.

• Stayed: April 2012