1,637 results
All reviews via veneto rooftop bar spanish steps the hard rock cafe trevi fountain american embassy lovely hotel the hotel staff within walking distance villa borghese hop on hop breakfast buffet superior room around the corner location is excellent city break mini bar
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed at the Savoy because of its location. Walking distance to everything... Breakfast for what you pay was good..fulling..It was a little stuffy in the breakfast area maybe because it was in the basement. As for the rooms..they were small and beds need to be replaced and bathroom was small also...I am a petite woman and had problems in the tub because of the way the plumbing was attached to the wall.We had to complain to the front desk a few times because they were in the ceiling fixing either the Ac or electrical stuff at 700 am and one of the workers were smoking up there and it was coming thru the vent..The front desk listened and fixed the situation..all was well. Staff was friendly and we found it pretty clean..There was no view from our window but like I said in the beginning we were there for its location..Would we stay there again? Probably..

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank VegasGirl27
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I regret that I have not listen to one Tripadvisor terrible review "don't be deceived by the lobby photos". Well, normally I would book a room in advance but I waited till about 2 weeks before, because I was not sure of my plans in Rome. Most hotels for triple rooms were sold out. I figured Savoy was near Spanish Steps and my car rental so I took a chance and I booked the hotel for 3 nights (2 nights too many) at $330 per night. The booking process was simple and quite good. The hotel was located just off the Via Veneto and lobby looked nice. We were informed that we were getting 1/2 an hour complimentary internet and breakfast. We went to our room and our excitement ball dropped. The room was dark, depressing, narrow window facing the outside of the other wall and of course to keep the spirit up I said "at least we will get a good night sleep, since we have no street noise." I was wrong again. Our a/c started to make strange clicking sounds, we called the front desk and bell man came to tell us that this noise is a normal thing. The beds were very uncomfortable, the blanket reminded me of military brown blankets one uses while camping out, very harsh, irritating my skin, and looking old, also the comforters looked dingy. The pillow was about 5 kg - heavy, felt like someone stuffed them with pieces of fabric, dark navy blue carpets. This room looked dirty and the only thing that made us happy was to leave the room. Even the safe was inside the refrigerator which someone could pick up and walk out with it. The walls were thin, at 2 am we were awaken by some guys running trough the hallways screaming. By then we were up and heard every conversation people had outside the hallway. Breakfast was in the basement and it was nothing special. Again, did not feel clean, the room had no natural light. Going from one depressing room to another. We grabbed a roll and never went back to breakfast again in 3 night stay. On our second day my husband went to get his 1/2 free internet and the front desk said that "our room did not come with this perk" and he called the girl who checked us in and she said that she never offered us the 1/2 hour. So I went down stairs and caused some commotion, ready to check out that minute, the receptionist gave me 24 hours free. I do not understand their mentality, really. The next day (Sunday) we asked the front desk which seemed to be concierge also where to go for a good lunch not touristy near this hotel. Same girl who checked us in with the 1/2 internet offer sent us to Pomodoro Pizzeria. Well, this restaurant was closed on Sundays, we found this out from the Marriott Hotel concierge across the street who recommended another pizzeria ( we were seeking a room, but they were fully booked) . Two hours later we told her that she send us to a closed restaurant and we asked for a nearest Supermarket, she send us again to an underground Supermarket which was closed also. This was very frustrating. Don't you think the hotel stuff should know the hours of operation. Also, every time I was at the front desk there was a hotel guest complaining about something or having issues. We were so miserable at this hotel that when we left and said to my family "oh shoot, I forgot to take the picture of the room to post on the Tripadvisor" my 8 year said "Mom, why would you want to take a photo of that terrible place, it is best not to remember." I guess she was right. Grand Hotel Continental in Siena cured our wounds. I would not go back to Savoy ever again, the lobby is deceiving and the location is not important when you get nothing for your bucks.

Room tip: I would stay some where else. They seem to have rooms available even in high season.
Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank savvygirlLosAngeles
Savoy_Manager, Direttore at Hotel Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Dear Madame,
reading such a bad review regarding my Hotel and my staff I really don’t know where to start from for my apologizes and regrets.
Everything really went wrong for you at the Savoy and, while some items are so personal i.e. the taste for colours or the disappointment for a quite internal room (which in a historical palazzo like ours could mean no direct light from the outside), I really feel responsible for the inappropriate words and answers you received from my staff. Shouldn’t I??

Still, I wonder why in your long and descriptive review you forgot some details. I wonder why you said “normally I would book a room in advance but I waited till about 2 weeks before, because I was not sure of my plans in Rome” NOT mentioning that you formerly reserved through our website a promotional rate including in the price a package gourmet AND ½ hour wifi internet and this happened more than ONE month before the arrival date.
Also I wonder why you didn’t mention that you cancelled that reservation ONLY and soon AFTER we had confirmed you a different booking you made by direct email requesting a Travel Agent not commissionable special deal. Being a Travel Agent I suppose you know that to obtain a travel agent discounted rate during the peak season in the centre of Rome is not so bad and is not for everybody.. also cannot include other benefits, as the free wifi is in my Hotel.
Unfortunately the girl at the reception felt in confusion with your former reservation and of course you’re right, it was her fault; unless it was you to keep in mind the gratuity in the gourmet package, we’ll never know. I apologize in any case, and the same made the person giving you the 24hours free; to apologize! Hope you now understand the mentality.

The restaurant you asked for, Pomodoro, was not a concierge suggestion: you wanted to go there and asked the girl the address, not saying when you intended to go. I agree with you that she could have verified whether Pomodoro was open or not during your entire stay in Rome, offering you more and not requested help: once again I apologize for this. Also I hope that is not our fault if the only supermarket in this expensive area of the city is underground!!! At least this Madame..

Thanks to your suggestion and to the ones of other clients we’re checking all the pillows and renewing the hardest ones; we already know that during the sunny season it is a pity to serve breakfast in a downstairs hall, but this is our ancient Rome building and we offer a wonderful breathtaking view terrace to have lunch and dinner, I’m very sorry you did not mention the beauty of our Roof Garden Bar & Restaurant.

Please accept my excuses for all the disappointment we caused you on behalf of all my staff too.
Regards
The Hotel Savoy Manager

Reviewed July 16, 2011

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at the Savoy Hotel - the location is excellent and really good value for money. Friendly staff too - can't go wrong!!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank KimCL
Savoy_Manager, Direttore generale at Hotel Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2015

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

It is fantastic to read that you had a wonderful stay at the Hotel and found the staff to be courteous and helpful. It is always wonderful to hear such positive feedback, which serves as a great motivator to my team. It shows them that their passion and efforts to provide exceptional service are appreciated by those who receive it.

Warmest regards

Roberto Necci
Hotel Savoy Rome

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We were very dissapointed with "The Savoy", rooms were tiny, (not like the pictures) and breakfast was awful, and downstairs with no windows it felt like you were in a crypt, definately not 4 star at all.However it is extremely well situated and the roof top terrace is lovely, if you upgraded to a decent size room and didn't do breakfast it is o.k.

Room tip: pay more for a supeior room
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank juliagould
Reviewed July 8, 2011

After 10 days in Italy at some really nice hotels, I was disappointed with the Savoy. The rooms were an adequate size as was the bathroom, but the hotel staff always seemed like they were doing you a favor when answering a question. The restaurant is EXPENSIVE and the breakfast buffet is served in the basement of the hotel (though nicely decorated). The roof top garden was a welcoming edition but the bar service was scarce. No FREE wi-fi anywhere - not even in the lobby. When I asked the front desk to help with printing my boarding pass, they pointed me to the 'pay as you go' computer in the lobby. No help whatsoever. I would NOT stay at this hotel again. Not a good value for the price paid.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple