“Excellent luxury boutique hotel”

Hotel Splendide Royal
Ranked #53 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I highly recommend this hotel. The location is great, rooms are big and gorgeous. The staff is extremely helpful and willing to go out of their way. They booked us a tour to Tuscany complete with wine tasting. They arranged everything including the train transportation. This hotel is very close to the hop on and off bus stop. Try the coffee cafe on the next st across from hotel Eden and a very short distance from the bus stop. FIrst class all the way!

The Jewells

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loriandrussvezzola
Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed 28 September 2011

me and my fiance went to rome for a romantic birthday trip. the staff at the splendide royal are the nicest hotel staff we have ever dealt with. they were helpful, polite, friendly and they went out of their way to please you. we had a problem with payment for our stay but they dealt with it in a pleasant manner and didn't change their attitude towards us. we had a problem with the jacuzzi in our room, within less than half an hour it was fixed. room service is out of this world, their food was luxurious. the rooms are faultless decorated beautifully and tastefully. the hotel itself is spectacular and on a great location. definately recommend it to anyone !

Room Tip: we were originally put in a standard room which was out of this world decorated beautifully, but we...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lucky13AP
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on transit from Venice to Tokyo as we did not wish to leave Venice so early to go back straight. In so doing I chose this hotel having read many favourable reviews on Tripadvisor and also because, having been disappointed with our stay at Hassler last summer, we wanted to explore a better hotel. We booked a junior suite with a Borgehse Park view but without balcony. The room allocated to us was quite spacious and furnished well having a large balcony with a couple of reclining chairs. They sort of leveled up to a better room very kindly without mentioning it. The lounges are gorgeously decorated and furnished in a Baroque style. Lifts and corridors are rather small and narrow but sufficient for a small number of guests they accommodate. Staff at reception were efficient and kind appearing to be always sincerely ready to help guests. As my wife’s suitcase had been missed at the airport a concierge kindly searched for it earnestly through Alitalia’s lost property desk which had appeared to us very inefficient and untrustworthy ( we got it back two days after we returned home ) We had booked a table at Mirabelle, a Michelin starred restaurant in this hotel for dinner for which she thought she had no appropriate dress and shoes. The concierge talked to Restaurant Manager describing what she wore and persuaded him to accept her as she appeared. However she felt so sad and miserable that we even thought of cancelling the dinner. Good gracious me, when I opened my suitcase I found a shopping bag in which a new dress she bought at Villa D’Este was contained and further found her pair of dress shoes, too! So we could have cheerfully a good dinner. Mirabelle was a very good restaurant beautifully decorated looking out nicely to the city and Borgehse Park. Hassler had a similar or even better location ( Michelin starred also ) but Mirabelle provided much better ambience and cuisine. First a manager like man greeted us and asked which table we would like inside or outside. My wife asked for an inside table and then he said, “We would give you a table very close to the balcony still with a good view”. Quite a few waiters served us very smartly creating good atmosphere for us. The dishes were, like Japanese summer style, all made of decorated glasses. As one of them was so beautifully designed that its surface was uneven and dressing flowed over the plate and then the table on to my trousers. Several waiters came and offered to change the plate but, as it could spoil the food, I asked a folded napkin to insert between the corner of the plate and the table. A lot of applaud came from them, saying how clever I was. It did not damage our cheerful mind at all but back home I discovered that my trousers had uselessly carried a couple of big stains even after cleaning. However overall it was a good stay and dining for the last stop before going back home.

Room Tip: As commented
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tomoyuki-i
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We booked the "Orange Blossom package" online that included private transfer to/from the airport, fresh flowers,bottle of champagne, breakfast daily, and dinner for 2 at Mirabelle.
We arrived at the hotel via private transfer (Mercedes E class with a driver that had HORRIBLE B.O.) at noon and our suite was not ready. While waiting we consulted the front desk re: tours and booked for that afternoon and the next morning followed by lunch at the hotel restaurant. Soup, Caprese salad, and two desserts with begrudgingly good service $160. After lunch we returned to the looby and were told that our suite would be ready in 15-20 more minutes. I waited the 20 minutes and was told it would be another 20 minutes. After informing the desk attendant that we had a tour in 30 minutes she was kind enough to let us leave our bags and change in another room that was ready and move our luggage to our suite when it was availabe . Very NICE!
We returned to find a very spacious suite (lare terrace as well) with a bouquet of long stemmed roses and a good bottle of champagne (Mumm).
The next morning the tour company was to pick us up at the hotel at 07.45 and we decided to have room service since the restaurant does not open untill 7ish. You may also have the included breakfast in your room(guest pays serve fees... 30 Euro).
Our final night dinner was to be at Mirabelle (terrace reservations suggested + first seating 19.30 ish) at 20.00. We were greeted and seated promptly and over the coarse of two hours we were served only two of the four coarses we ordered. By 22.00 we queried our server about the remainder of dinner and said he woud check...20 minuted later he returned to tell us it is on the way...10 more minutes no entree. It is now 22.30 and we had a very early flight the next day so we informed the staff that we could wait no more and left for bed. No credit was offered but our first round of cocktails was comped and profuse and sincere apologies offered and were accepted.
The next morning came all too quickly and the drvier was there at the appointed time and the check-out process was smooth.

Overall the staff offered good service and the suite was large and well kept by any measure. Would I reccomend or stay at this hotel again? Probably not. There are other hotels in the same price range in the same area (Marriott, Westin, ETC...) that I would try.

Room Tip: Ask for room on side street. While waiting in the lobby over heard two separate guest complain of no...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Totti5, Direttore generale at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Dear Guest,
We have seen your review on Tripadvisor with the critics on the service of the restaurant in the last night of your stay booked with an Orange Blossom package for which we regret to learn that it was not obviously of your satisfaction due to the delay of serving the courses.
First of all, from myself as well as from the Restaurant Manager, who was not on duty that Sunday night, please accept our sincere apologize for this regrettable episode, that was not due to the service and maitre d’ fault but it was due to a bad mistake in the kitchen where they lost the order of your main course.
Again please accept our excuse and we are pleased to inform that we have given instruction to our account department to refund you the cost of the dinner provided by your Orange Blossom package.
We hope that this gesture of goodwill will testimony our attention to meet guest satisfaction and since you have appreciated almost everything (except the driver define with a terribile B.O. for which we will investigate) about the rest of your stay that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future at the Splendide and our restaurant.
Sincerely Yours,
The General Manager

Reviewed 22 September 2011

We were very warmly welcomed to the Splendide Royal by the bellman/doorman, and the warm reception continued upon check-in at the front desk with Jonathan - very nice first impression! The hotel is very elegant, and our room was luxurious. One thing that I loved about the marble bathroom - a large section of the mirror never got foggy from shower steam! Overall, we were pleased with our choice of hotel in Rome, especially the staff and the service. However, one afternoon around 5 we went up to Mirabelle for a glass of prosecco. We were enjoying the view and the drink, but almost fell over when we got the bill for 35 euros! We mentioned it to the front desk because we thought that it was an error, but were told it was correct. We are used to cocktails being more expensive at hotels and resorts, but for prosecco, it seemed extreme. The only other negative was the fee for wi-fi - unnecessary.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Lovely, elegant, excellent service. Not in the newest trendy areas but quiet and right next to Villa Borghese Park. Cute shops and sweet cafes nearby. A wonderful stroll to almost anywhere in this incredible, walkable city. My room was spacious with old world details (gently worn), giant white marble bathroom and huge closet. Splendid, indeed.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I had done a lot of research on-line before choosing the Splendide and was very excited to find out upon check-in that my second choice hotel was part of the same chain and granted access to the pool and Spa of the the Principe property on the other side of the Borghese gardens! After a long day of sightseeing, it was amazing to take a dip in their outdoor pool surrounded by Borghese! Even the ultra-luxe spa was open for Splendide guests and while I did not partake on the indoor spa, it was extremely impressive to view.
I almost cried when I saw my room, it was so elegant! Beautiful marble bathroom, Etro bath and shower products, and they even give a hand-written card as part of their turndown service that advised as to the next day's weather!
The desk crew was amazing! Anything I asked for was met with a "No problem, senora" I even called at 2:00 AM and they managed to book me into an all day tour for the same morning! I also had them book the Borghese and restaurant reservations, as well as other tours for me, all of which were executed perfectly.
I was so happy with the service in this hotel, that I actually changed my travel plans and booked a second week in a suite, and proceeded to take day trips in all directions, landing back at this wonderful hotel to unwind. It was an amazing experience to arrive home (it really felt like home!) after a long, long day of traveling, take a bath in the Jacuzzi and take the 3 floor elevator ride to their elegant Mirabelle restaurant with the best view in all of Rome, I suspect! Unbelievable service and food, which I will review separately in the restaurant section.
Anyone who says that the hotel you pick does not matter is kidding themselves! This stay is going to change the way I travel from now on...you get what you pay for, is what it boils down to, though many of the other 5 star hotels in Rome had conflicting reports of the service received, and that was a big part of why I picked this hotel. I will definitely stay there again, and would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to others.
One last note...my second week suite was only available until the second to last night of my stay, but I had thought that I may stay near the airport as I had a 5:00 AM flight .When the time came to decide that, there was no way I was going to leave this hotel for some ugly airport hotel, and I had an all day tour starting at 6:30 am - 8:00 PM, so I knew I would need some downtime after that. I had the staff move my luggage into a basic room for that last night while I was on a day trip to Assisi. Imagine my surprise when they put me into a suite again, for what I had booked a basic room for?! I was really touched by that.

Room Tip: My first room looked over the internal "courtyard" though I use that word loosely, and was...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo