“True Perfection!”

Ranked #58 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Brighton, United Kingdom
“True Perfection!”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Splendide Royal over 5 nights for a romantic getaway in Rome. The experience overall was absolutely perfect. The hotel offers an effective balance between traditional Italian hospitality and world-class luxury standards.

Arranging our stay here within only a month of travel was very easy and organized. We booked transfers from the Fiumicino airport, an evening at their Mirabelle restaurant (see my other review), breakfasts and a Junior Suite effortlessly, during an otherwise busy period.

As if this would suggest their fantastic service, upon arrival at the hotel, the reception assisted with every arrangement and double-checked reservations. Since they were available, I was even shown around the hotel suites upon request, which are truly phenomenal. After settling into our room, the concierge offered a knowledgable service on attractions and dining in Rome, booking us a table at a few restaurants during our spend including Ad Hoc (see my other review).

The view from our room (situated next to the Presidential Suite) was exceptional, looking over the entirety of Rome across the Villa Borghese and Vatican City in the distance. We had a small veranda to sit and relax whilst basking in the Italian heat wave at this time, yet the air conditioning in the room was superb keeping our nights' sleep at a more comfortable temperature.

Another wonderful surprise was that Hotel Splendide Royal is connected with the top-end Parco dei Principi in Rome, where we had access to their 7* Prince Spa. We've never experienced anything quite like it; the spa was an incredible relief from the hot weather at the end of an eventful day.

It's difficult to sum-up just how fantastic our visit to Rome and stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal was. Everything seemed to fit together harmoniously, so much so that we in fact extended our initial 3 nights' stay to 5. Needless to say, the hotel reception even rearranged flights and transfers to suit.

The overall atmosphere in this hotel is not pretentious, and truly satisfies your desire for a luxurious Roman experience.

Room Tip: Junior Suite or Borghese / Presidential Suite
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank yanneves

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I'll start out with the good:
The staff was excellent. My husband had been in contact with the concierge prior to our arrival and they arranged several lunch and dinner reservations for us. When we arrived at 8 the morning after an overnight flight our room was ready for us. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating and really went out of their way to help us. I give the service 5 stars and a huge thank you for being so fantastic.

Room Size: I was pretty impressed. Everyone always talks about how small the hotel rooms are in Italy, but I thought our room was average.

And now for the not so good...

Decor: As far as the hotel itself it was extremely ornate and old; definitely not my style but I thought maybe it would be charming to stay in a hotel like that in Rome. Not so much. The decor was weird; claw footed mustard sofas and think burgundy curtains, over the top chandeliers. The walls looked like they could use a fresh coat of paint. Maybe some people like that, but the decor was lost on me.

Pillows: HORRIBLE. I always roll my eyes at the reviews where people discuss the linens or things like that, but I have to say these pillows were the worst.

Location: It certainly didn't seem as convenient as everyone else is saying in their reviews. My husband and I took a cab pretty much everywhere. And we're New Yorkers who are used to walking a lot.

I think this hotel is way overpriced for what it is.

4 Thank NYJanet
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This hotel's main feature is it's location, which is right around the corner from the top of the Via Veneto and a short walk to all the attractions. As a person who has traveled extensively, I encountered a lot of problems at this hotel, mainly with the front desk, who made reservations at the wrong restaurants and gave completely inaccurate information in terms of what was opened and closed and when. At a true five star hotel, this would be a basic and expected service. They were clueless in terms of local restaurants or what was going on in and around Rome. They were neither friendly or upbeat. Instead I found them to be very stiff and formal, bordering on arrogant, especially the person who's on at night. I have been to Rome many times and can speak Italian, so I was less reliant on them than the average tourist, but even with my few requests, they got nothing right. They were not professional, reliable or efficient. Additionally, the website is deceiving, the hotel doesn't look as good in real life and the Fitness Room, which was an important feature to my boyfriend who's a runner was a JOKE. They had one outdated treadmill, one outdated bike and a few weights in a very small claustrophobic room that you had to be buzzed into; otherwise it remained locked all day. The breakfast, which is served in a pretty room, was a whopping $30 Euros PER PERSON, during which the waiter handed us a menu on the buffet line and they continuously ran out of things long before breakfast was to end. At those prices we had to keep asking for them to refill the chafing dishes. There's a beautiful, very romantic restaurant on the 7th floor, run by a man who is a true professional and who needs to train the rest of the hotel staff how to be gracious to your guests and professional. While it's extremely expensive, it's a great place to go for a drink, as it has amazing views of Rome, along with excellent service. I'm certain this restaurant is just located in the hotel but not affiliated with them. If they could fix the situation at the front desk, this hotel would be an acceptable place to stay, otherwise, stay at the St. Regis, a true 5 star hotel or the Portrait Suites, two places who know how to treat their guests or for a value hotel in the same area with excellent service, La Residenza

4 Thank lasinnyc
Guest relations S, Direttore at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you very much for your comments which obviously left us much surprised. Your words sparked an in-depth analysis of our services and presentations. With regards to the human factor we are aware of the continuous need for training and updating and putting our personal efforts first.

With regards to your comments on the physical aspects of the hotel we can only reitirate that the interior design and layout of our premises have been carefully chosen and planned, space permitting, and has taken very much to the liking of our guests. Our restaurant,as you have kindly pointed out, is perfect for moments of true wining and dining whilst enjoying an awe inspiring, uncomparable, view of Rome.

We can assure that all our staff are united in offering services and information as must be expected of staff of a 5* hotel, especially as we need to continously live up to the hotel’s reputation.

Dear Sir, Madam we would look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon on which occasion we would like to have the pleasure of meeting you personally, with great pleasure, to make sure that you are guided well - from our side - with your itinerary for Rome. Thank you. Best personal regards, the Management.
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I and my husband went to Rome for weeding anniversary for 4 days.
We are lucky because of the snow! Everything was perfect! The stuff was very king and very helpful! The room was perfect with outstanding view (5th floor). When we arrived the hotel offer us a bottle of champagne to celebrate!
The breakfast has not the quantity for 35 euros p\p but it has the best quality for much more!
The access was great to most popular points in Rome (2’ via Veneto, 5’ Spanish steps, 15’ Fontana di trevi, and 10’ metro station, on foot)
We will stay again for sure! Thank you

2 Thank Katerina P
London
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Booked for a weekend break in Rome. Staff were excellent and very welcoming, always charming without being intrusive. The room was delightful, far better than expected, a real treat. The bed was super super king size. I requested a room overlooking the Villa Borghese and the request was honoured.

I agree with other reviews the restaurant is good but very expensive, however you don't have to eat there, although the views over Rome are amazing. There are plenty of other excellent restaurants in Rome and the concierge is only too happy to get you a cab quickly.

The spa at the sister hotel 5 mins away is fantastic. Beautiful surroundings, excellent range of treatments and massages for 'her and him'.

There is no hotel bar, but then we didn't need one, plenty of bars around.

We would definitely go back to the Splendid Royal (despite its naff name!)

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the Villa Borghese to get the views (3rd floor was a bit through the tree...
2 Thank BHobday
Corfu, Greece
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The hotel is wonderful and the staff is just excellent!!!!! Congrats you guys!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Yeovil
Reviewed 14 February 2012

expensive to get very serious food poisoning, Bruno the manager called me "a problem" and in a sort of way asked me politely to go away. I have come home to UK, private DR who has confirmed serious food poisoning from your "Scallop" Bruno....thanks for your ignorance and arrogance. What a shame as the hotel looked lovely !!!!!!! 500euros to use your toilet for 45min - hour we even left our 160euro bottle champagne on the table. Disgusting service.

Room Tip: dont go to up stair restaurant
3 Thank Scott F
Guest relations S, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you so much for your comments. To say the least, we are flabbergasted by the phrasing of your comment and observations as we have far different recollections of our various telephone conversations in which you have espressed yourself quite differently. In fact, we recall that you wanted to speak to the staff in charge, which you did, to express your experiences at our restaurant.

We are sorry that you did not feel well that evening. We are sure that it had other causes than our scallops, which are always of absolute first quality, something that you confirmed. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you to our restaurant the next time you will be in Rome.

Kind regards