1,516 results
All reviewsmirabelle restaurantvia venetoborghese gardensspanish stepsbeautiful hoteljunior suiteseventh floorbreakfast roomsister hotelmarble bathroomfive star hotelst petershighly recommend this hoteltrevi fountainaround the cornerquiet streetsmall hotel
Reviewed December 4, 2005

For six glorious days, the staff of the Hotel Splendide Royal in Rome spoiled me. They offered good advice, organized tours, supplied every request all with good humour. The location is excellent and the physical facilties wonderful. The food is to beyond superbe. I give it the highest marks.

2  Thank phyllisclark
Reviewed December 2, 2005

If the hotel claimed to be a 3 star hotel then I would be inclined to give it a rating of 4 or 5 trip advisor stars. However, the hotel claims to be 5 stars which it isn't even close, so therefore deserves only two.

We arrived at 9am and the staff was nice enough to allow us to check into our room several hours early, a nice suprise. The room is very small and uncomftorable. We had a beautiful view of an interior wall! (Five stars? Put some flowers out there or something - a horrific view). Our two main complaints were 1. the lack of facilities to relax after a long day (both in and outside of the room); and 2. the unbelievably stiff bed with starched paper for sheets (with a rip in the comforter which conveniently was the same comforter for three nights in a row).

A previous post mentioned sweets on the bed was a nice touch, don't get too excited - you get two jelly candies in a little cardboard box.

The mini-bar prices are ludicrous! Eight euro (10 USD) for a 12 ounce coke. Twelve euros (15 USD) for mini cocktail bottles. We went to a local market and bought our own water and wine and saved an incredible amount.

The breakfast was average. Nice view, nice spread, but if you want a cup of coffee you can get up and get it yourself. The staff is not 5 star standard. I was very frustrated with their lack of attention towards something as simple as coffee in your cup. And if you want cream in your coffee good luck.

Everyone raves about the hotel restaurant. We did not eat there. Take a look at the menu and you'll understand. There is absolutely NO reason to eat there. We ate at a different restaurant every night and had an excellent meal, value, and experience at all. You cannot convince me that the hotel restauant food merits a 200 euro total price tag compared to the other places we ate at. Save your money and explore Rome by night. And definately do not listen to the doorman's recommendation for a restaurant. He put us in a taxi and sent us to the most bland, boring restaurant down an alley. We ignored his advice and found Alfredos up the street and had a great experience.

The doormen try most of the time, but are often two busy to spin the door for the ladies. They were shocked to hear that we wanted directions to walk to the colliseum. I asked directions and they told me it couldn't be done. What do you mean it can't be done? We enjoy walking, and actually seeing the cities we visit. They insisted we take a taxi. Eventually he pointed us in the right direction which was a 35 minute walk - a nice 35 minute walk.

All in all we had a nice trip in Rome. However, ALL of our memories our from the city, not the hotel. The Hotel Splendid Royal is not a 5 star hotel. You can find the real 5 stars up the hill and to the right.

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank US_Army_97E
Reviewed November 30, 2005

The Hotel Splendide Royal is a magnificent hotel whose foyer and lounges set the high standards that continued throughout our stay. The greeting by the concierge was warm and the staff were always willing to help. It is ideally located next to the Borghese Gardens and all the major attractions are within walking distance, which was helped by the cool November weather. After a long day in the city it was a pleasure to return to the hotel to relax. Breakfast was served buffet style and was excellent, whilst with fantastic views over Rome the Mirabelle Restaurant is a must for dinner or lunch. It is located on the roof terrace and although relatively expensive, it is without doubt one of the finest restaurants we have both eaten at. The rooms were beautifully decorated in the same vain as rest of the hotels ambience. Cleanliness was second to none and the standard of housekeeping was exceptional, with sweets and the turn down of bedding adding those little touches.
Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in, it isn't a big modern hotel with all the clean lines, but a traditional, equisite hotel where customer satisfacton appeared paramount.

4  Thank Go22135
Reviewed November 27, 2005

The hotel is actually nice. The view from some areas are quite beautiful (although despite requesting a room w/ a view, we were put in a room that had a view of concrete wall - be careful of this). It felt very closed in. The sheets feel like paper (and I'm not kidding). It made for getting cozy after long busy days in Rome less than easy. But the real reason for my taking time for this review is the poor service. The front desk clerks are horrible. They are a little shifty. They don't seem quite honest. For example, we inquired about a shuttle from the hotel to both the Rome airport for me and Ciampiano for my friend. They gave us the run around big time. It was very frustrating. The assured us that the only means of transportation that was remotely dependable was either their pre-arranged taxi or pre-arranged limo service for 60 and 65 Euro, respectively. None of this made sense to us but our first time in Rome caused us to believe. My friend took their advice and paid the excessive transportation fee and off she went. I had one extra day there so I opened up my trusty Rick Steves' book and sure enough, there is actually a Rome Aiport Shuttle for 26 Euro (big difference). I asked the concierge to arrange this for me and off I went for less than half the price. They were clearly upset about this, so upset in fact I believe they skipped my wake up call! Fortunately, I suspected this might happen, so I set my travel alarm. The location of this hotel is nice, but a little out of the way and so for all of this, keep looking!! There are better choices which will end in a happier overall visit. Happy travels!

8  Thank Bayla1222
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Firstly, beware the taxi drivers at the airport! We were taken at 160km/hour by a [...] driver who was on the phone and doing his hair simultaneously, whilst no-handed repeatedly squeezing between the car in front and the motorway barrier. No kidding. For this hellish journey the meter read 46Euros. He then pressed a button and hey presto it leaped to 76 Euros. In my best Italian I protested and his English suddenly stretched only to "it was in kilometers". My travelling companion coughed up inspite of my protests, and still the driver continued the con. He switched a 50 Euro note for a 10 and tried to tell us that we'd only given him 40 Euros. At which point we got out. We later learnt that if you openly take their cab number and their name, and say the word police, they soon behave.

We stayed for 3 nights in a standard room (290 Euros per night inc breakfast).

Good points:
Spotlessly clean
Bags of character, in a gilted kinda way
Huge marble bathroom and good sized bedroom, with walk in wardrobe
Extremely friendly and helpful staff (rare in Rome)
Great views from the restaurant and breakfast terrace
Well positioned if you like shopping and walking uphill
Small bar in the restaurant. In summer there's a fabulous terrace with views.
We had a room at the back of the hotel so there was no road noise (a common complaint in Rome). However we were surrounded by the backs of other hotels which had continuous loud aircon units whirring away (only noticeable with the windows open). Not a problem if you sleep with earplugs.
Fantastic limo service to the airport. When you book from the UK it's quoted as 90Euros. When you return it drops to 65Euros. We booked the latter and didn't regret it.

Bad points:
Everyone says "ooh it's near the Spanish Steps so it's well located". What they fail to tell you is that it's at the top of the Spanish Steps and then up a loooong hill. The area is devoted to tourists and is therefore soul-less, and the restaurants reflect this. A better bet would be to stay at the bottom of the steps at least, or preferrably a bit further south still. Even better would be to be in Trastevere where at least there is a bit of local flavour.
No English TV

All in all we didn't regret staying there, though I would choose somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: November 2005