“Clean and spacious room, great location!”
Review of Amalia Hotel

Amalia Hotel
Ranked #421 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Made a reservation for Double Classic for 2 nights. We arrived early and was pleased to be checked in early. The room was spacious, and clean. The window view from my room wasn't that great though.

Distance to Vatican is superb, 10 minutes away, and 5 minutes from Metro.

One thing I don't quite like is the staff service. You don't expect super service. To be fair, they do respond to your queries and help honestly when you approach them. It is just that they don't offer you help, make recommendation, or greet you when you leave or return.

I would also expect a 3 stars hotel to offer bottled drink in the bar fridge without charge. This is what I experienced in other Italy hotels. I was just told to refer to the charges in the hotel room when I enquired about if the bottled water is chargable.

The overall experience wasn't too bad I would say. It will a lot better if the staff can be more responsive and more friendly.

Room Tip: If you are travelling to Civitavecchia, like I did, may want to reconsider not taking the train from...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
StaffRome, Manager at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Client,
thank you for your review of Hotel Amalia Vaticano.
Thank you for putting in evidence the early check-in, the spacious rooms and the pleasant stay with us.
Looking forward to having you again with us I wish you the best for the future.

There are newer reviews for Amalia Hotel

Reviewed 21 September 2011

very close to metro. walk to the vactican in 5 mins. even it's next to the train track, the windows were sealed great. If you are a healthy person, don't bother going for the breakfast. All they have were cakes and sweet pastries.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed here recently on our anniversary trip to Italy. This hotel is a fantastic location. Just a few minutes walk from the Vatican. Close to good restaurants and lots of shopping. We even walked to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps from here.
The hotel is modest but seemed clean. The staff is friendly but not overly helpful. They'll answer questions but didn't seem to want to go out of their way.
Our room was small and very bare bones. The bed was not very comfortable but we were so exhausted it really didn't matter.
Breakfast was fine. Nothing special but definitely edible.
Overall we were satisfied with our stay. We knew we were staying at a budget hotel and were realistic with what we were going to get. I'm not sure I'd stay here again but I don't have regrets about staying here this time.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We were booked at the Amalia Hotel by the USO office in Rome, so I had not done my usual research on accommodations. But we were quite happy with the hotel and I would stay there again without hesitation. We arrived very early on our first day (about 0900) and expected that we'd have to leave our bags and find something to do for 6 hours. However, the hotel had a room available and allowed us to get settled early. And they upgraded us without a charge, too, which was a very welcome surprise. We had a great room with a view of the dome of St Peter's Basilica, lots of space, and a gorgeous bathroom. We explored the area and found that there were many restaurants and gelato places nearby and St Peter's was a short walk away. (Side note: make sure you go to Old Bridge gelato every day. It's only about 2 blocks from the hotel and amazing!!!) Breakfast at the hotel is typical Italian fare - nothing like a German breakfast, but certainly enough to get a good start on the day. The hotel is only a block or so from a Metro station and within walking distance to many sights if you are in good shape and have a comfortable pair of shoes. (Side note: always buy water in a store in the morning and carry it along as it gets very hot and drinks near attractions can be ridiculously overpriced.) The hotel staff was always helpful and friendly and made phone calls for me to restaurants (to see if they were open) and to our airport shuttle driver when I booked the wrong day. We loved the hotel!

Room Tip: Ask to be up high so you can get a view of the dome of St Peter's.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
StaffRome, Manager at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Client,
thank you for your such a detailed review of the Hotel Amalia!!
We are glad you also recognized the Hotel Amalia was booked through USO.
We have a great partnership with USO and USO travelers are particularly welcome to us.
Thank you for recommending Hotel Amalia Vaticano to other travelers and looking forward to having you again with us.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

Amalia Hotel, located on via Germanico, meters from metro-bus service, vaticano, shops, resturants.
Hospitality was cordial and service was always good.
Being an early morning person, 05:00,continental breakfest was good, however, if you wake later it can seem to be disappointing. The staff presents the table setting very nicely, but later in the morning everyone is trying to enter a small room. They do there best, but too many people at the same time can make the service difficult.
I chose this Hotel from locating it on a past stay in Rome, was not disappointed with my choice.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
StaffRome, Manager at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Client,
thank you for your kind review and for summarizing your experience as "Perfect Choice".
I apologize since nobody at the hotel answeared to your review in the past. I just took in charge the management of the hotel and it is my pleasure to express my thanks.
I do hope you will visit Rome again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We spent 4 nights at the hotel Amalia. At first, there was a discrepancy about the room - we had two adults and a child. We were told that no bed was available for the child - we would have to sleep everyone in a queen bed or everyone in 2 doubles. During that time, a queen and one double in a room became available for more money (20 extra Euro per night). But only for 3 of the nights. We took it. The room was spacious, clean, cool, with a great bathroom. The staff was great! Super withe my 7 year old son. Finally, the 3rd night came - we prepared to move to a 2 double bed and make due. Packing, we were told that they had arranged the reservations so that we could stay in our room. We were thrilled not to have to move!!!

One negative: The continental breakfast - served each day - does not have offer enough food. We got there at 9am on the first morning - to find everything but cold cereal gone! Finally, the attendant - who appears about every 30+ showed up with new pastries - only to have all the previous attendees at breakfast literally lunge at the table and take all the good pastries again!! Because there is not enough placed out on the table to begin with....there is this mad rush to get the available food. We felt that this could be avoided - and felt the need to - the next morning - to set our clocks and get up early....JUST to get a decent breakfast.

That said, we would gladly stay at the Amalia again. From the taxi driver arranged to pick us up....to the reception who gladly and happily took our bags for safe keeping...and arranged our room situation. Everyone was great!

And the television offers BBC news in English. And despite having to pay 5 Euro for each 3 hour session of WiFi....still worth it: Good speed. Good access.

So close to Vatican City, as described. SAFE and friendly neighborhood. Blocks from the Metro.

Hotel Amalia gets out vote. If we get the chance to return to Rome....we will definitely return to Amalia!

Room Tip: We stayed in the large rooms on the 4th room - they were doing some renovation - loud in the am...bu...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This hotel is clean, convenient, reasonably priced and above all......quiet. The hotel may not have a flash reception but everyone is helpful and considerate. I had asked for two rooms close to each other. This was carefully managed by the hotel and made the trip easier for my novice fellow traveller. Breakfasts are typically Italian so if you are looking for something substantial, you may need a snack later. Bathrooms seem to have been refurbished since my previous visit in 2007 and provide core requirements. Aircon works well. The safe in the room is welcome. The addition of flat screen TV's may cheer those who need TV whilst away from home. Restaurants in vicinity are good quality and boast a local clientele. Its close to the metro Ottaviano, the hotel will arrange taxis at a good rate to/from airports if you need at a good rate and its a short walk to St Peter's and the hop on/off bus stops. No more needed......

Room Tip: Reading lights could do with improvement so perhaps take your own ?
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ItalianTripper

Dear Client,
thank you so much for your detailed review of Hotel Amalia Vaticano.
Your prposition to return by Hotel amalian in case of future trip to Rome is the best recommendation for us of the hotel to other travelers.
I do hope you will visit Rome again in the near future.