“Great location.”
Review of Amalia Hotel

Amalia Hotel
Ranked #410 of 1,268 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Amalia is in a great location of Rome. The rooms were small but clean. My wife and I booked our room "ensuite", which means we had a bathroom in our room. Downstairs right outside the Amalia is a great place for Italian Cafe. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure when travelling to Europe, whenever you book a room in a hotel or a hostel make sure you g...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank judfry1
StaffRome, Direttore at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Judi,
thank you so much for your review go Hotel Amalia Vaticano.
I am in charge of managing the hotel from a few weeks and I feel sorry that nobody answered your review in the past.
I really hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

we stayed here in October 2011 for 5 days, 4 nights before going on a med cruise. The location was perfect -- right in the center of Rome, 10 minute walk to the Vatican, shopping and many restaurants were near by as well. The room we had was VERY small but my cousins room was like a suite for the same price we paid. I mentioned this to the front desk but they were not willing to adjust ours. First come, first serve which i think was very unfair. i would only stay there again if i knew which room i was getting. Other than that, very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The daily continental breakfast was decent too. One other problem is that the tv is in italian so if you don't speak the language, which we didn't, don't turn the tv on cause it can be annoying watching it in a language you cannot speak or understand..

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vivian B
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Right next to Vatican. Metro stop within 5min walk. Hotel is tastefully decorated. The rooms were large and clean. The elevator is one of those old style, elegant ones where you need to manually close the door - lovely.

On the negatives, no complementary toiletries (e.g. shampoo) in the bathroom, dining area for breakfast is a little small and quickly fills up, the service is typically Roman -minimal at best, and certainly not done even the fainest hint of a smile.

All in all, for Rome, it is a good hotel, bit pricey - but value for money in not possible Rome.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank The_Wayfarer2
StaffRome, Manager at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Client,
I appreciate your detailed and frank review of Hotel Amalia. I apologize since nobody at the hotel answeared to your review in the past. I have just taken in charge the management of the hotel and it is my pleasure to express my thanks to you and hope we will stay in touch..
I do hope you will visit Rome again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

No frills. Our family 2x Adults and 2x Teenagers, stayed at the Amalia Quad room 18-24 Dec, luckily the driver from the Hotel knew where the Hotel was at otherwise I don't think i would have found it. Staff was very "quiet". If you don't ask for something, they definitely aren't going to come forward and make any recommendations. The room was a little small for 4 people but clean. The Cleaning staff was excellent and helpful. The morning breakfast was pretty good. The lobby staff frequently made me feel like I was a guest and not a paying customer. You have to weigh the decision on staying here because of the location. Great access to the Vatican, Metro and shopping. It looks like the hotel was in the process of starting renovations.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2011

I stayed in this hotel first week of December. I booked with DHR hotels , it's the same price that could have paid if I booked straight from the hotel, the only option is that you can cancel if you book with DHR. For sure you will be given a better room if you book straight from hotel cause the room I was given was like a prison cell. As soon as you open the window you will find air-condition units and empty bottles from nearby restaurant. Thats the view you will see nothing else .The only good option is the location, just 5 minutes walk and you are in the Vatican square. The rest is not as you see or read on this hotel. Breakfast is just a normal poor one. Tea and coffee crosaints and powdered juice .

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear Sir,
I am sorry for your review concerning the room.
I want to assure possible other customers that the room you mention has been dismissed and all room have pleasant internal or external view.
Hope you will reconsider to stay with us again.

Reviewed 10 October 2011

My husband and myself stayed in April for five days, we oranised a taxi with the hotel to collect us at the aerport and also for the return journey, it cost 42 euro each pay and well worth it.The hotel is in a great location just behind Vatican city we walked to all the various attractions.The hotel is very clean but basic, but then again you only sleep there, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie5510

Dear Valerie,
thank you for Hotel Amalia reccomendations throughout your appreciation of the staff professionally and courtesy along with rooms clean and large.
I really hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Made a reservation for Double Classic for 2 nights. We arrived early and was pleased to be checked in early. The room was spacious, and clean. The window view from my room wasn't that great though.

Distance to Vatican is superb, 10 minutes away, and 5 minutes from Metro.

One thing I don't quite like is the staff service. You don't expect super service. To be fair, they do respond to your queries and help honestly when you approach them. It is just that they don't offer you help, make recommendation, or greet you when you leave or return.

I would also expect a 3 stars hotel to offer bottled drink in the bar fridge without charge. This is what I experienced in other Italy hotels. I was just told to refer to the charges in the hotel room when I enquired about if the bottled water is chargable.

The overall experience wasn't too bad I would say. It will a lot better if the staff can be more responsive and more friendly.

Room Tip: If you are travelling to Civitavecchia, like I did, may want to reconsider not taking the train from...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
StaffRome, Manager at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Client,
thank you for your review of Hotel Amalia Vaticano.
Thank you for putting in evidence the early check-in, the spacious rooms and the pleasant stay with us.
Looking forward to having you again with us I wish you the best for the future.