“Not in Rome!”
Review of Mercure Roma West

Mercure Roma West
Ranked #374 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights with my husband. Rude staff, awful breakfast, and dirty bathroom...I don't think I need to add anything else!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NLDS72
Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed 4 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in April 2011. I decided to stay here even though this hotel is NOT IN ROME because I had some points that I thought I’ll use. I also purchased some points to get the necessary figure for the 5 nights stay.

First of all this is not a four star hotel and SPG should disassociate itself from this hotel as soon as it can! I knew we had made the wrong choice about a hotel in Rome when it took us 4 hours after baggage claim from Rome Fumicino airport to get to this hotel. We took the Buzshuttle for EUR 8 per person to Rome Termini. Walk into the Termini station which is about 5 mins from where the bus drops off. Cobble stone streets and dragging luggage, this was not fun! Then find a newspaper stand and buy the ticket, then look for the blue line and take one to EUR Fermi. This by itself is a village outside Rome. The hotel website says that you can take bus 705 from right outside EUR Fermi. It may sound easy but it’s not. None of the outer stations have escalators, so with luggage climbing up 2-3 flights of stairs from the metro out to the street is again NOT FUN! Then after waiting for 15 mins we realised that 705 comes at the other side of EUR Fermi; so we crossed the road only to find out that there’s another set of stairs that go down (not up) to another bus stand. Again, no escalators. Then we had to tell the bus driver we needed to get to Four Points and he didn’t know where it was. As you can see, we were frustrated with the hotel even before getting there. The taxis will cost you EUR 70 (if they knew you are a tourist).

Here are some of the reasons I will not recommend this hotel to anyone. I have gotten better service from a 2-star hotel:
- Hotel is NOT IN ROME even thought their address says Rome. It takes you 1 hour and 15 mins to get to Termini station (which is the main station). Then you need to find your way via bus or metro. Not advisable if you are here for sight-seeing.
- Do not depend on the bus and metro timings listed. Buses and trains come and go in their own time. Bus 705 and 130 (Sundays only) take you to EUR Fermi and then you take line B to get to Termini. But this is unreliable if you are staying in Rome for sight-seeing. If you have a flight to catch, take a taxi or a private car, whatever the cost! You don’t want to miss your flight.
- No one came forward to help us with luggage at check-in at the hotel
- Air conditioning will NOT be turned on in April when it is 30 degrees C at night inside the room. My husband and I couldn’t sleep for 4 out of our 5 nights stay. One night we had to fight with the reception to ask for air con and they said they will be doing us a FAVOUR by turning it on only for the one night.
- A/C vent unclean and sends out a foul smell when a/c is turned on by the technician from the outside. You cannot control the air con in your room. Now which four star hotel does that?!
- Sheets were not changed even though I had placed the “change sheets” card on the bed. I had to call reception again and have housekeeping come back in again and change the sheets.
- No bars or restaurants near the hotel. You would be better off eating your dinner in central Rome. But be aware that the Metro Line B runs only till 9:00 pm. So either eat early, or take-out food and get back to the hotel in time.
- Breakfast was not included in our rate because of points. It’s 25 EUR per person. Apparently, the reception staff told us that it was a discounted rate. The original breakfast was EUR 50. I walked to the closest supermarket Carrefour (1 km away) and bought breakfast stuff for our 4 days in under EUR 25 (for BOTH of us!).
- Uncomfortable bed. I had back and neck aches every morning
- No coffee making machine inside the room. Room service charge is EUR 15 per tray! I haven’t even heard of this in 5-star hotels.
- No free internet/wifi (except in the lobby). We used the free wifi in the lobby once.
- Rude reception staff. Surprisingly the housekeeping staff seemed nicer. Like I said, the man at the reception actually told us that he will be doing us a “FAVOUR by turning on the air con” for the one night. It was the weirdest experience and I felt sorry for putting my husband through such crappy experience because I had used my points for the stay.

Rome was the last leg of our 18 day vacation and we thought we had booked the best stay for our last part of the vacation but we were totally disappointed. My husband and I are both frequent travellers and have never had such experience even from a 2 star hotel much less an SPG!

Now I notice that they've changed the name of the hotel from Four Points by Sheraton Roma West Hotel to Nicolaus Hotels Roma West. Does that mean SPG has removed this hotel from their properties? I hope so!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gayathri_Iyer
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We had an unhappy and unpleasant experience during our stay in the hotel. On 12 June, 2011 my friend's handbag was stolen when our travel group of 16 were having breakfast at your hotel cafe in the private room on the ground floor, between 7.15am to 8.00am. We were very surprised it happened in such a well-reputed hotel and urge the hotel to strengthen its security.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank connielimch
Reviewed 24 May 2011

With the fairly dismal reviews I've seen on this hotel I wasn't expecting much. What a pleasant surprise! The hotel was beautiful, very contemporary, clean and well appointed. The rooms were larger than most and we were unexpectedly given a suite with a sitting room. The hotel was quite far from the city center but easy to get there via buses and the Metro. The neighborhood was a safe residential (mostly apts. and condos) area. We found a great little cafe a couple blocks away that was super cheap but really nice with good food. The only complaint I had was the bed.I believe they used the Italian marble they are so fond of for the beds and pillows. I'd definately stay there again but will bring my own pillow and maybe buy an egg crate topper for the bed at Ikea.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I think this hotel suffers from over expectations. Everyone, including me, started off benchmarking this hotel based on the Sheraton brand, and as a 4 star hotel. But, I redeemed award points very cheaply - it required less than 1/4 of the award points required for another Sheraton in Rome; it was even 1/2 of the points required to redeem a 4 star Sheraton chain award stay in a minor city in Malaysia. If I benchmark it at 1/4 of a major Sheraton hotel, and start comparing it to chains like Best Western, it doesn't look too bad But, the hotel does pretend to be a "proper" Four Points Sheraton, i.e. a 4 star hotel, so my review is based on that professed benchmark.

First of all, the hotel is WAY out of town. It only works if you use the metro (EUR Fermi station) and the bus service from there to the hotel. Done that way, it is not too bad. If you use a taxi, your return taxi fare to Rome will easily exceed the hotel room cost, and you would have, in effect, committed hara-kiri by choosing this location . That said, be aware that EUR Fermi has two entrances; the main (northbound metro) entrance and bus station is on the lower road level; the shuttle instructions the hotel sends you is misleading and I ended up waiting in vain at the wrong entrance/bus stop when I arrived from Rome Termini and exited on the southbound metro exit. Next, they don't tell you but they will charge you for the shuttle upon check-out. If you have a season pass or Roma Pass and are entitled to unlimited bus rides, DO NOT take the shuttle. Take the more frequent and very pleasant bus instead. The driver (these out of town services servicing the "ordinary" people living in the sub-urbs, are truly decent and excellent) will very kindly let you know when he arrives at the bus stop in front of the hotel (travel to EUR Fermi metro is via a bus stop at the back of the hotel). Really, there is very little reason to wait for the limited (mornings and evenings only) and costlier, shuttle.

The hotel is really a 2 star hotel, understaffed at check-in. It doesn't even have a doorman on duty. You will wait a while (it took 10 mintes for me although there were only 2 people ahead of me) to be attended although the reception staff do work very hard. Two or 3 of them need to attend to the phone, guests, staff etc etc. They multi-task, attedning up to 2 phones at once and seem very worn down but are reasonably pleasant. I pity them. I received an upgraded "junior suite" near the lobby (which means there is free wi-fi from the lobby area as opposed tp paid internet in rooms) as an SPG Gold member .

But the room (despite being large) is sad. The TV is a very small, very old, CRT one (the attached photo shows a service interruption). There is no tea/coffee making facility - truly surprsing as this is a "suite"!.

In conclusion, I would still stay at this hotel for these reasons:
(1) It is cheap
(2) so long as you know how to take advantge of local transport, the distance doesn't matter
(3) I like the nicer "ordinary" people in the sub-urbs, (very different from the ultra chic crowd at downtown hotels) and it is a less touristy area.
(4) If benchmarked as 2 star hotel (that is the price you pay), it is okay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank KT785
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Front of hotel is appealing and lobby is beautiful. Check in was ok as receptionists are keen to handover your door card and get rid of you. I believe the people who complain most about this hotel are those who thought they have got a good hotel on a bargain price. This hotel is a SPG category 2 hotel therefore don't expect much and also look out for their discount price. The rooms are clean but common area carpets can do with a replacement. The room furniture are tired and wallpaper has not been changed for a while. The bathrooms are excellent and very clean. The location of the hotel is far from the city centre so if commuting by bus and metro add an extra 45mins to get to city centre or take the hotel bus for 5 euro return. The bus and metro cost 1 euro each way but if you want muliple use of metro buy the 4 euro per day ticket. Avoid bus 705 on Sundays and public holidays take bus 130. The meals are overpriced try a cafe beside the filling station next door to the hotel
If you manage your expectations and need a decent hotel to explore Rome this is a place for you.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank andynaija
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Worst hotel I ever stayed in. The hotel is dirty and the staff is rude. Buffet breakfast is always cold and they water down the coffee and juice instead of making/bringing more if they start to run out. Restaurant is also very dirty. You can't even buy a coffee in the morning - you have to buy the buffet breakfast. They have coffee vending machines that only take change, but the hotel has no change if you need it. If you do have change and put in more money than the product cost, the vending machines do not give change. They have a pool, but if you are a woman you need to wear a bathing cap and that will cost you 3 euros. Hotel staff is rude and must not like Americans because they would not wait on us in the restaurant, we waited 20 minutes while they served all the European customers that came in after us, and then we left. When we complained, they hotel staff did not care and just shrugged their shoulders at us. I could go on and on, but I'll just close with DO NOT STAY HERE - TERRIBLE.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple