“Quite far from Rome's Fiumicino airport”
Review of Mercure Roma West

Mercure Roma West
Ranked #362 of 1,259 Hotels in Rome
Toronto
“Quite far from Rome's Fiumicino airport”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Booked this hotel through Hotwire and chose the area close to Rome's Fiomicino's Airport. Please beware that this hotel is quite far from the airport AND quite far from Rome.

The easiest way to get to this hotel is to take a taxi from the airport. The hotel doesn't offer a shuttle bus, you can negotiate a fare from the Airport to the hotel. We were a group of 6, and negotiated 10 Euros a person for the ride from the airport to the hotel.

The area around the hotel is quite deserted, a block and a half away there's a small plaza where there's a conveinence store, pizza shop, slot machines and a small restaurant. A 25 minute walk and there's a supermarket. This supermarket is quite a long walk, but it is quite a big supermarket that has everything you need.

Checking in to the hotel was a quick process, not all the check-in agents know English, so just be patient and they'll be able to help you.

There's complimentary wifi in the lobby and public areas. There's wifi and hardwired Internet available in the rooms for a fee.

The fitness centre, and gym is open until 9pm. It was strange however we got to the fitness centre at around 8:30pm, and the attendent said that there's a 5 EURO charge to use the sauna. I'm not sure if this is correct or if he just wanted to discourage me to use the sauna because there was 30 minutes left until the fitness centre is closed. I should have mentioned this during my check-out, but I was in a rush to catch my flight and didn't have time to complain about the sauna.

The room that I was in was very modern, and they also included a free bottle of sparkling water in the fridge in my room.

Plenty of channels available on tv, and the washroom was clean, quite modern and acceptable.
If I had a choice, I wouldn't stay at this hotel due to its location, it is very far from the airport, and very far from the city. To get from central Rome to the hotel you have to take the subway, then transfer to a different line and take a bus.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank akide

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed in this hotel from Tuesday noon to Friday noon for a work conference, with everything paid for, so I can't comment on price/value. The participants came from all over Europe, so this hotel was chosen because it's relatively close to the airport. It's however an ordeal to get into the historic city of Rome. First you have to get a bus to reach a metro station, then it's a switch to the subway. They are not really coordinated, so there could be a 15-20 minute wait between metro/bus, depending on time and day of the week. Taxi is available, but not cheap.

The food for us was fine, a buffet where one could choose from various hot and cold dishes plus a dessert. One of the nights we tried to get a drink in the bar on the lobby, but there was no one around to be found to serve us, so we skipped that idea.

My room actually was two rooms, first was a 'sitting room' with a minibar and a sofa - I never used it. The bedroom and bathroom were clean, but I had problems with the heavy smell of perfume that was absolutely overwhelming! My first reaction when I first entered the room was to open the windows wide, to have some fresh air in! I complained to the reception, and also left a note (in Italian) to the maid, and I don't think they put more perfume in, but the smell lingered... I pointed out to them that it could be dangerous for people with asthma or other respiratory problems, or allergies. I don't understand why they didn't think of that themselves!

In my room I had a free wifi internet connection, which I understand is not standard, but it was often very slow. To get a comfortable speed you had to choose a time of day when not so many people were using it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank evor50
Luca P, Responsabile reception at Mercure Roma West, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Mr.Evor,
First of all we would like to thank you about your comments because they can help us to get a better service.
We apologize for all the problems you had in your stay. About the slow wifi internet connection, we are improving the service.
We hope to see you again in MERCURE EUR ROMA WEST.

Best regards

Luca Pedullà
Surrey BC
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We arrived on Sunday Oct.2 and booked the shuttle service to downtown Rome for Monday morning. We were dropped off at the Colosium and I made a point to show the driver the schedule and pointed to the 7:30pm pick up time and repeteted the time in english. We arrived back at the pick up location(same as drop off) at 7:15pm and waited until 7:50pm. My wife and I were the only ones being picked up.We were down to our last 5 euros. We took a taxi back to the hotel. They would not pay the taxi. At first the girl at the front said we had cancelled the shuttle pick up. Then the night supervisor said we were not at the pick up location when the driver arrived at 7:30. The girl phoned the driver and he said he was there at 7:30 but we were not.They basically called us liers. WE HAD WORDS. After 15 minutes of arqueing they finally paid the taxi driver and charged my room. Also, the breakfast in the hotel is terrible. Rubber eggs and cold buffet.This was not our first time in Rome and we are familiar with the downtown area.Weare also seniors in our late 60's.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank gordon164

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed for 3 nts. Did not use any of the facilities, so cannot comment. But the reception staff were fine with us. The room was of a good size and clean, with kettle and fridge. Room rate was reasonable- choose to stay here because we had a car to go into Roma to see the sights. If you don't have a car I would not stayhere, it is so far out of town. Free wi fi in room.
I know the Qatar crew stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ho_sik
Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2011

The review by Gayathri_Iyer sounds unreal but it is eerily close to reality. I should have read it before I booked this hotel for our family of five (two separate rooms). The tiles in the swimming pool were coming off and they require you to wear a shower cap to swim. Breakfast and in-room Internet access are outrageously expensive. There is no self-service laundry nearby.

We arrived in early September 2011 and we thought that this hotel was brand new. Instead, we learned that it was rebranded a few days before from Four Seasons to Mercure Eur Roma West. It is way outside of the main attractions in Rome and there is no easy way to get there from Termini or Fiumicino Airport. There is a bus (dirty with graffiti) that runs near the hotel but the schedule is different on the weekend. We ended up taking a taxi from the Metro station (dirty with graffiti) to get there. You’ll also see plenty of garbage and graffiti in the neighborhood.

When we were there, we noticed that this hotel is used primarily by tour groups and conference attendees and as can be expected, the room and bathroom are actually nice and the common areas (main lobby, floor lobby and hallways) are clean. There is a refrigerator in the room and free wireless Internet connection in the lobby. There is a grocery nearby (not very nice though) and some restaurants. I also found the staff helpful. However, I will NOT recommend this hotel for independent travelers. This is my third time in Rome and you’ll get a better value by booking a hotel within walking distance of a Metro station.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DrS3LA
Qatar
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights with my husband. Rude staff, awful breakfast, and dirty bathroom...I don't think I need to add anything else!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NLDS72
Chennai, India
Reviewed 4 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in April 2011. I decided to stay here even though this hotel is NOT IN ROME because I had some points that I thought I’ll use. I also purchased some points to get the necessary figure for the 5 nights stay.

First of all this is not a four star hotel and SPG should disassociate itself from this hotel as soon as it can! I knew we had made the wrong choice about a hotel in Rome when it took us 4 hours after baggage claim from Rome Fumicino airport to get to this hotel. We took the Buzshuttle for EUR 8 per person to Rome Termini. Walk into the Termini station which is about 5 mins from where the bus drops off. Cobble stone streets and dragging luggage, this was not fun! Then find a newspaper stand and buy the ticket, then look for the blue line and take one to EUR Fermi. This by itself is a village outside Rome. The hotel website says that you can take bus 705 from right outside EUR Fermi. It may sound easy but it’s not. None of the outer stations have escalators, so with luggage climbing up 2-3 flights of stairs from the metro out to the street is again NOT FUN! Then after waiting for 15 mins we realised that 705 comes at the other side of EUR Fermi; so we crossed the road only to find out that there’s another set of stairs that go down (not up) to another bus stand. Again, no escalators. Then we had to tell the bus driver we needed to get to Four Points and he didn’t know where it was. As you can see, we were frustrated with the hotel even before getting there. The taxis will cost you EUR 70 (if they knew you are a tourist).

Here are some of the reasons I will not recommend this hotel to anyone. I have gotten better service from a 2-star hotel:
- Hotel is NOT IN ROME even thought their address says Rome. It takes you 1 hour and 15 mins to get to Termini station (which is the main station). Then you need to find your way via bus or metro. Not advisable if you are here for sight-seeing.
- Do not depend on the bus and metro timings listed. Buses and trains come and go in their own time. Bus 705 and 130 (Sundays only) take you to EUR Fermi and then you take line B to get to Termini. But this is unreliable if you are staying in Rome for sight-seeing. If you have a flight to catch, take a taxi or a private car, whatever the cost! You don’t want to miss your flight.
- No one came forward to help us with luggage at check-in at the hotel
- Air conditioning will NOT be turned on in April when it is 30 degrees C at night inside the room. My husband and I couldn’t sleep for 4 out of our 5 nights stay. One night we had to fight with the reception to ask for air con and they said they will be doing us a FAVOUR by turning it on only for the one night.
- A/C vent unclean and sends out a foul smell when a/c is turned on by the technician from the outside. You cannot control the air con in your room. Now which four star hotel does that?!
- Sheets were not changed even though I had placed the “change sheets” card on the bed. I had to call reception again and have housekeeping come back in again and change the sheets.
- No bars or restaurants near the hotel. You would be better off eating your dinner in central Rome. But be aware that the Metro Line B runs only till 9:00 pm. So either eat early, or take-out food and get back to the hotel in time.
- Breakfast was not included in our rate because of points. It’s 25 EUR per person. Apparently, the reception staff told us that it was a discounted rate. The original breakfast was EUR 50. I walked to the closest supermarket Carrefour (1 km away) and bought breakfast stuff for our 4 days in under EUR 25 (for BOTH of us!).
- Uncomfortable bed. I had back and neck aches every morning
- No coffee making machine inside the room. Room service charge is EUR 15 per tray! I haven’t even heard of this in 5-star hotels.
- No free internet/wifi (except in the lobby). We used the free wifi in the lobby once.
- Rude reception staff. Surprisingly the housekeeping staff seemed nicer. Like I said, the man at the reception actually told us that he will be doing us a “FAVOUR by turning on the air con” for the one night. It was the weirdest experience and I felt sorry for putting my husband through such crappy experience because I had used my points for the stay.

Rome was the last leg of our 18 day vacation and we thought we had booked the best stay for our last part of the vacation but we were totally disappointed. My husband and I are both frequent travellers and have never had such experience even from a 2 star hotel much less an SPG!

Now I notice that they've changed the name of the hotel from Four Points by Sheraton Roma West Hotel to Nicolaus Hotels Roma West. Does that mean SPG has removed this hotel from their properties? I hope so!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple