“my experience.”
Review of Hotel Donatello

Hotel Donatello
Ranked #308 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I stayed for 3 nights in December 2010. The rooms are tiny. I could not rotate my suitcase. I would recommend it only to tourists who have tours booked with their agents and who have pickup and drop off as it is difficult to get to the main city centre from this hotel. The surrounds of the hotel are unsound and don't reassure safety. The walls outside are covered in graffity. I would not stay there again. The staff however are friendly and helpful. Its just an inconveniently situated hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Aveen M
There are newer reviews for Hotel Donatello

Reviewed 15 November 2011

Our room was very clean and comfortable. No schedule for the TV channels...asked at the desk for one...said we just have to scroll through the channels....The breakfast was very poor...only rolls and coffee. The hotel is not siutated in a very nice area....I felt uncomfortable, especially after dark. The front desk personel were not helpful or friendly. If we wanted to use the interenet or wifi, they would charge us for that. Didn't seem "3 Star" like a couple of other 3-star that we stayed at in Italy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 days in Sept, overall we appreciated the hotel for what it was, a tourist class hotel. It has a 2 star rating, which I feel it right on. The rooms were smaller, but quite nice in appearance. The beds were firm, with extremely thin pillows. Our particular room overlooked the Grotto, where we had the complimentary breakfast; which is very good. Would we stay here again, not sure. If on a budget we probably would, if not, we would look for a nice 4 or five star location.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael946
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Average rooms, needs some basic updates (bedspreads, curtains, etc). Service was just adequate as we were given incorrect instructions regarding busses, etc. (however excellent at breakfast)

Location okay (15 min walk to metro) but not really central to main tourist district. We found this awkward as we would want to go back to our hotel during the afternoon siestas (when everything was closed) but it was a lot of traveling to head back to the touristy area in the evening.

Overall, experience was okay, but not at 250 Canadian dollars per night

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We came from Venice and was driving down Italian cities when we noticed that the further down we went, the harder it was for us to get breakfast meats but that's ok.

I have to say: you can't generalize the staff. Some of them were nice. Some of them were a bit too strange.

To make a phone call even if the phone call did not go through is 20 cents, so don't even bother.

The good thing was, it was so close to the bus stop that the distance from the centro is not that awful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank greggandtheresa
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Me and my Friend stayed at Donatello Hotel this March for 3 nights .
The Hotel I think is located in a Historical Building but renovated from the outside you can not see it because the front it's renovated . The Rooms are big we had 1 Triple room and 1 Dbl Room . The Triple room had also a nice Balcony .
The Rooms were clean and the Maids came every day to clean them , change the towels etc . Even if the furniture is a bit run down it still works great .
The Breakfast is a bit poor , you get Coffee/ Tea and Milk , 1 croissant / person , 2 kinds of Gem and some biscuits , so for the ppl that like to have a nice Breakfast is not so good . For us is was ok because we all use to have only Coffee in the Morning . The Rest. is used only for Breakfast you can not have Lunch or Dinner .
Near the Hotel you have some Mini Market where you cab buy something extra if need it . From the Hotel to the nearest Metro station Manzoni you have to walk about 500 m .Do not worry about the Neighborhood because it is safe we were 5 Girls and han no trouble or felt unsafe . The Staff is very Friendly and helpful the give you free Maps of Rome if you ask , give you directions an how to get around the town etc .
In conclusion me and my Friends had a very good time at Hotel Donatello and recomand it to all that want to visit the beautiful city of Rome .

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank silvialoky
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The location was commercial, industrial with a lot of immigrants. The hotel itself was nice and clean, with old European charm. The rooms were small but adequate and had tiny balconies to step out onto.

Breakfast was really poor. A fresh Italian pannini, a croissant, butter and jam with coffee in a thermos and watered down self service juice.

As for the staff, Giovanni and the owner Carols were very pleasant and helpful. So was an elderly gentleman that worked the counter one evening. However, there was one rude, unpleasant man in his late 30's or early 40's. The hotel doors are locked at all times because of the neighborhood. I had the unpleasant experience of not being able to get in or out after midnight, only to be met by this very irate, miserable man who yelled at me that if I broke the door, I would pay for it.

The directions to find the hotel that were emailed to me were more or less useful. I came from Termini (the main train station). Do not take the subway from Termini to Manzoni. You are backtracking by foot, up and down too many stairs with luggage, to take the Metro to exactly where you walked away from following the hotels instructions. Simply catch the #105 bus to get off at the plaza near the hotel or walk east from the train station until you get close to Manzone station. About 10-15 minutes.

The gelatto shop was a very busy place and well worth the 3-5 minute walk from the hotel.

The drunken men and transvestite we passed several times to get to and from the hotel at night were no so wonderful!

The Metro is under renovations and closes in sections at 9:30 pm. This will be on going for some months still, but there are bus surface routes to replace the Metro at night.

Overall I would stay here again. The hotel was reasonable, nice and clean and the location to the trains, buses and Metro were great. I was in Rome to tour and travel, not sit and entertain in a fancy hotel. The walk to Coliseum and all the tourist attractions was about 30 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends