“Spend your time and money elsewhere!”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #1,006 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Read the reviews and took a chance. BIG mistake! The pictures are extremely misleading! The hotel is under construction, however they are still charging top $$ for the unrenovated rooms. The A\C never got below 78 degrees F (my in- laws did not work at all). The bathroom and room smelled like mold/musty, the wallpaper is peeling, the 2'x2 shower leaked everywhere. Even the view photos on the website are clearly photoshopped. The list goes on and on.

THE only good thing about the hotel
is the close proximity to the Colleseum. However, I would have paid a few extra Euros to have a relaxing hotel to return to at the end of a long day of sight-seeing. The Richmond Hotel is not it!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Cri711
There are newer reviews for Richmond Hotel

Reviewed 8 June 2011

The Hotel Richmond is in a very good location. At the moment is undergoing some refurtishment work and the bedroom was obviously one of the older, shabbier ones. It was comfortable except for very loud air conditioning.

I was baffled when I paid the bill that I also had to pay a 'city tax' of €9 in cash,.
There was no mention of that in the booking confirmation I received. I saw an American couple similarly bemused - not so much by the amount as by the fact it had to be paid in cash. Other hotels do not seem to have a similar policy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Crego85
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Overall, our stay was pleasant with a few inconveniences. Would have probably graded higher if not for price and four-star rating. This hotel is in the midst of expanding. It bought the building next door and knocked down a wail to connect the two on one hall. The old rooms are completely different then the new rooms (we saw both). Our experiences below are based on the new rooms:

Pros:
Location- very close to Forum, Coll., Palatine and other ruins as well as Capitoline Museums. Longer walk to more touristy areas like Campo di Fiori, but even Vatican (furthest walk) is only 20 minutes or 10-15 by metro.

New rooms- nothing like a brand new, modern room! Ultra clean and fresh.

Service- other than some miscommunication before we arrived, the staff were very willing to do whatever was necessary to ensure our stay was a happy one. Very helpful.

Cons:
Rooms- while the rooms in the new building are ultra new, some were not designed well. One shower flooded the bathroom (we had to move rooms) and that same room felt very small based on design (setup, layout, window location, etc). Also, there are still some rough edges, like a missing ceiling panel in one room (but not others), bedroom mirror and refrig missing on another, etc. Some of this is a work-in-progress and I expect will be corrected in time. Some, such as the design, won't. But this would be a very minor detraction over all.

Breakfast- adequate and with a very nice location on roof, but for a four-star hotel I would expect more variety and better croissants. We stayed at many hotels last month in Italy, including one other four star and many three stars and Richmond's breakfast low on the list.

Parking- there is none. Certainly not a problem if you arrive/leave by cab, but if you were driving in and then returning the car, it was difficult. There is a narrow driveway between restaurants that happened to be open, but otherwise you would have to park on a very busy street where no parking is really allowed. This is actually rather typical for Rome, except we were led to believe the location was fine for parking and unloading. Again, rather minor issue if you are aware before arriving.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2009

My wife and I were set to stay at the Moses Fountain (sister hotel to the Richmond) at the start of our Italian vacation. Ten minutes after getting off the plane in Rome, my wife fell and fractured her femur - leading to 8 days in the hospital and two surgeries. When I contacted the hotel to tell them our story and that we weren't able to fulfill our reservation, they went beyond the expected to help us.
They made hotel reservations for me at a hotel near the hospital.
They stayed in touch with me every other day to make sure we were doing OK and offered to help in any way possible
When we needed to find a hotel to stay at while my wife got strong enough to fly back to the US, they offered a room at a fair price at the Richmond and made arrangements for a wheelchair and transportation to the hotel.
While we were at the hotel, they brought food to our room, walked us to a close by restaurant and generally kept a close watch on us.
I cannot say enough good things about Andrea (the owner) and the reception team of Gemma, Fabio and Jeanette.
Thanks to them we turned a disaster into a something somwhat more tolerable.

Regarding the hotel, it is in an incredible location - just a few minutes walk to the Coliseum and many other places of interest. There are good restaurants (Taverna Romana) and good gelato just a few minutes away.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank russr
Reviewed 18 September 2009

So the hotel is ok, but the ad photos have been taken with good lighting and angles.
In actuality although our rooms were spacious being 'superior rooms' the decor is faded with dingy lighting. Run down chintz really.
The amenities are adequate as a whole but we did have a few problems. Our bath had no plug and we regularly flooded the bathroom as the shower door didn't make a proper seal with the bath.
The AC in my sisters room was excellent, the room felt like a fridge but our AC could actually constitute a health hazard, disgustingly filthy inside and rattled constantly.

The breakfast terrace is lovely, although with a hideous statue made I think of paper mache.

Location wise this place is perfect and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly. I just feel that to qualify for 4 stars and be worth the price you pay the interior needs a big overhaul. Until then I think you can definately find better hotels for cheaper prices.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank clarabell81
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I stayed at the Richmond in April 2008 with my family. We were given a suite on the first floor. Our room was spacious with large windows allowing natural light in. The room and bathroom were cleaned regularly and overall we found it to be very comfortable. My sister got sick during the trip and the staff brought tea to our room for free. The breakfast area is on the roof with nice views of the surrounding area. The hotel is across from the Roman forum and a short walk to other sights and a Metro stop is nearby. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2009

The location only minutes from the Roman Forum and Colosseum is fantastic, but this also means that there is a lot of traffic noise at all hours of the day. The hotel will kindly issue you with ear plugs so you can get some sleep.

It is clean, the view from the hotel’s rooftop terrace of the Forum as you breakfast is amazing, it is easy to get to from the main train station or by the metro, it is a convenient base to explore the rest of Rome, and the hotel staff are helpful and friendly.

But like most hotels in Rome I’ve stayed in, you can’t help feeling it’s overpriced. The bathroom is tiny, especially the shower. I’m only 5’3’’ and I still had trouble turning around in it. The hot water takes about 2-3 minutes to come on from when you turn on the taps. The rack to hang your clothes in the wardrobe is so high that I had to stand on a chair. My mind is still boggling over how to open and use the safe. And I’m sure the view from my window would have been fantastic if I was able to open the shutters and see it! I had to push them out to the point where the clasp was held and could just make it out through the gap between and below the shutters.

But overall, the experience at Richmond was cosy. After 8 days I felt very much at home. There are lots of restaurants right next door that are really good, and who can complain when such history is on your doorstep?

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TravellingDans