Hotel Memphis
US$336
US$131
US$118
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$143
iQ Hotel Roma(Rome)
US$323
US$279
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewstrevi fountainspanish stepsgreat locationsmall hotelthin wallssmall streetthe hotel staffeuropean hotelsthree nightspastrieswithin walking distancesmall roomwalked everywherehotel is situatedtrip to romefive minute walkstreet noise
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I had a wonderful time in Rome and this hotel is a big part of the reason I will go back soon. Everything here was held to the highest of standards and gave me a trip of a lifetime. The room was unbelievably clean and the breakfast that was served started each of my days with a smile and burst of energy to explore the city. I can never say enough good things about the staff. I accidentally left a few pieces of jewelry in the room and while they were not monetarily very valuable they had tremendous sentimental value. As soon as I realized they were missing I called the hotel and they found them and shipped them to me. Doing this was above and beyond what I have experienced at other hotels. To be honest I was hoping they would say that they would hold them for me so I have an excuse to visit again. The Hotel Memphis is now my vacation home when I stay in Rome

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2011

The worst customer service I have ever had. Our reservation request, that was made 2 weeks ago, had been completely ignored. We asked for a room for 2 with a bathtub, what we got was a room for 3 with a shower. When we asked to switch rooms, the lady at the desk told us the hotel was fully booked and did nothing. The room was freezing, and the bed was really uncomfortable. I've stayed in much nicer places, for much less. Then after about 2 hours, all the lights in our room randomly went out. When we called the lady at the desk, she came upstairs and fiddled with the light switches for 30 minutes clearly clueless, as we stood there asking her to call a technician. Fed up, we told her we didn't want to stay anymore, and she kept telling us the technician would come in 10 minutes. When we asked for a refund, she told us we'd have to come in the morning to talk to the manager because to her the problem had been fixed since she called a technician. Then she told us it was "impossible" for her to give us a refund and to her there is no problem because when she gave us the room, there was light. The technician took over 30 minutes to come and even then, the lights weren't fixed right away. We were in the lobby arguing with her for an hour, then she finally called her manager, who she didn't even let us speak to, then the manager told her to give us a refund. By the time we left, the lights in our room still hadn't been fixed. This was the first time I have ever left a hotel.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel, our reservation requests were ignored.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank allyssa_22
Hotel_Memphis, Direttore at Hotel Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear Allyssa_22,
first of all many thanks for writing a review on Tripadvisor, it is very important for the next travelers. Referring to your comments we inform you that we are very sorry for your experience. You booked a standard double room for one night, the last one for that day and in this case with shower. Sorry but the hotel (20 rooms) runs fully booked every day. You know you have been upgraded in the nicest and the largest double room (105) in the Hotel. Please next time send us an email or just make a phone call, you had to do that, asking exclusively the bathtub otherwise a cancellation will follow. We will understand the message and we will answer you if we can confirm your request or not. This is the way it works. Most of the photographs on the websites are relevant and relate to the room 105. The Hotel Memphis is completely renovated, with new mattresses really comfortable and the temperature in the room can be controlled by the clients, and the customers are satisfied of the new hotel. All works fine. Regarding the lights that went out in your room, we are sorry but sometimes happens even in my house for lot of reasons, in this case a light bulb was burned and it put the room out of control until we found out the reason and we changed it. But you were too angry for the buthtub and after using the room for 2 hours, also having a shower and leaving the room in a bad condition you did not want to wait for the light to be fixed. I can understand everything but at the same time reading a review like this one, with even been refunded, seems strange to me. That's all. We do not deserve this even because we have refunded you also with not important reasons to do it. Thanks anyway for choosing us even if you spent only two hours with us, but maybe you only needed the room for 2 hours, who knows. Best regards.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Perfect location. 2 minutes from Barberini Square and Metro station, 2 minutes from Fontana di Trevi, 5 minutes from Piazza di Spagnia, and all these by walking!
Very decent hotel, and clean. It seems that this hotel has been recently renovated. Room and all common areas seems to be quite new and modern. Specific room (No 101) was a little bit small.
All people working there where very nice, and they all speak English very well, which is very rare in Rome... Breakfast had everything we needed, and more than that! When we asked one afternoon to have a coffee, they made us, and they never charged us as they said no need to pay, it's free.
There is no view, just the building in front in a very small road, but this is not something so important.
We stayed very statisfied from Memphis hotel and we'll visit it again in our next trip to Rome.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2011

The location is good and the hotel is clean and modern, but the service was lacking. Two of the guys at the front desk were either inept and/or lazy, and definitely rude. One seemed completely put out when I asked him to call a restaurant to make a reservation for me. I already had the restaurant name and phone number; I just wanted him to call in case they didn't speak English. The midnight desk guy told us we had pay a certain charge in cash upon checking out because he was too lazy to swipe our credit cards, or maybe he wanted to take a cut of the cash. We refused and told him we paid the exact same charge at another hotel in Rome by credit card. It was only after we called him on his lie that he took our credit cards. Then we had another dispute over a cab to the airport, and to make a long story short, he accused me of lying. We stayed at Hotel Lancelot prior to the Hotel Memphis and there was a HUGE difference in the level of service. Outside of the service, we didn't have any complaints. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I booked this property becuase the website showed that they had satellite television, a bar and restuarant and no mention of any of these facilities being seasonal. When we got to our room it was o.k until we turned on the t.v and the only channel we could get was CNN news! I went down to reception to tell them it was broken and the reeptionist said 'no it's not' very rudely. I advised that 'yes it is!' and asked they send someone up to look at it. No one came up that night so we watched the news over and over again (on a budget so could not afford to go out every night). The next day I asked again in the morning before the pointless continental breakfast (stale pastries and ceral boxes). Again I was told there is nothing wrong with it. After persisting again someone came up, looked at the wires, twiddled it, and left and once again said it was fine although clearly on the news channel available. great!

We thought we could afford a couple of drinks in the bar in the hotel. on Asking reception where is was they said they do not have one, rudely of course. I showed them their brochure that clearly states a bar. She said it was the desk in the breakfast room that is closed.

We had no t.v for 4 days other than the news, whichwe are now experts on, no bar for 4 days, rude staff every day and poor housekeeping. Room was not hoovered in 4 days and had to ask for clean towels.

Luckily, all the excursions we did were very good so only had to spend evenings in room with nothing to watch!

This is not a 4 star hotel I would say 2.5 star and thats being nice!

If you are on a budget and just going with a friend I would recommend booking one of the many other hotels that may be only £20.00 more and get treated with respect and have the basic services it advertises.
Air conditioning was rubbish and very loud and did not cool the room even in March!

Room Tip: pick a room at a different hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends