“Worse than a pick pocket!”
Review of Hotel Gerber

Hotel Gerber
Ranked #405 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 12 September 2016

I'd booked this hotel in Rome months in advance for three nights, nonrefundable. At some point my travel had me in Rome earlier so decided to stay at Hotel Prati (per a friend's suggestion-so happy I listened! Hotel Prati was awesome, more affordable (same price with bathroom INSIDE the room rather than shared bath), cleaner, far better location and far friendlier).
I arrived at Hotel Gerber early and they said my room was ready. I was excited, check-in wasn't until 2pm yet the room was ready at 11AM. They provided me with my key and I went to my room to drop my bags.
I noticed a strong smell of air freshener outside the room, when opening the door, the smell overwhelmed me. It was awful. I dropped my bags and opened the balcony door to air the room for the day.
I left my bags, told reception to please not use air freshener in the room again as it was very strong and went out for the day, assuming the smell would be better after a few hours of air.
5 hours later, the room still stunk! I investigated - the bedspread smelled as if it had been bathed in air freshener. I removed it and put out on balcony, then smelled the sheets and mattress, the entire bed had been sprayed with an unimaginable amount of air freshener.
I went back to the lobby reception and told him that I needed to change rooms, the entire bed smelled and there is no way anyone could sleep with that smell. He came up to the room with me and agreed. Then, I asked to be placed in another room....oh yes...for 30 extra euros per night!
I said, no, at the same rate from my already paid through hotels.com. He said no. I asked if then I'd be reimbursed and I'd go back to the other hotel. He said no.
I had no choice but to pay the extra 30 euros for another room.
The more expensive room did not smell like air freshener but the hotel stunk of exploitation.
Terrible hotel. Avoid. Stay at Hotel Prati and you will love Fabio, who works the desk at Hotel Prati and the room is actually cleaner, nicer and has the bathroom IN the room for far less money.

Room Tip: Stay at Hotel Prati instead
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
umberto b, Proprietario at Hotel Gerber, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2016

Dear Ms Nadeedee,
I am terribly sorry to hear how unsatisfied you were with your stay at Hotel Gerber.
Please accept our apologies, as unfortunately even if our Hotel is a Non- smoking area, it happens that clients do actually smoke, therefore we had to be quite aggressive with the air freshener to take off the smoke scent. In fact, the client who came after you did not mention anything about it, therefore I believe it is a personal dislike.
Furthermore, the 30€ supplement you were charged for the room change were due to the fact that you booked a Single room with No Bathroom facilities en quite.
We moved you to a Double room with Bathroom en suite, which we normally charge around 90€ more than the room you booked. You can see that the 30€ supplement were actually a very nice gesture to show you how much we cared about satisfying your stay, as this price was a discounted one.
Finally, I really wish you can give us a second opportunity and I am sure you will change your negative opining about Hotel Gerber.
Very best wishes,

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Nice location , close to Vatican. Residential area , close to train and good restaurants and shopping but away from touristy area. Rooms are rather small but clean and staff is friendly. Breakfast included daily , nice roof top terrace With nice views . We are a family of 5 so we rented a 2 person room as well as a three person room , the 3 person was much more spacious.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Kpastrana
umberto b, Proprietario at Hotel Gerber, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review about our Hotel Gerber. We really appreciated it.
It's always a pleasure for us to meet all our clients needs and to make them feel at home.
We will be pleased to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel soon in the future.
Best regards

Reviewed 6 August 2016

My boyfriend had to leave Rome earlier than I, so I booked a one night stay in a single room with a shared bathroom. The hotel itself is well-situated close to a metro stop, shopping, and even a bus stop for an airport shuttle that will take you to Fiumincino for 6 euro. I regretted only staying for such a short time, as the hotel staff was incredibly kind, and my room was cozy and lovingly decorated. The owners obviously care about this hotel! Even though I had a shared bath, I don't think anyone other than me used it. When I left at 5 am, the front desk staff even showed me the most well-lit route so that I wouldn't be as nervous about walking a few blocks alone in the dark. The hotel has a very nice roof terrace. I will definitely stay here next time I come to Rome!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Zoe Z

Dear Zoe,
Thank you for your kind feedback about our Hotel Gerber. We really appreciated it.
the satisfaction of our customers is the most important thing for us, so it's nice for us to read that you appreciated our location, our roof terrace, the room you had and the kindness of our staff.
We will be pleased to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel in the future, may be for a longer stay.
Best regards

Reviewed 28 July 2016

It's a nice hotel with good service and very helpfull staff.
The room I had, had own bath and toilet. (Don't think all rooms has that, as I saw some on the each floor, in the hallway).
The room was decorated with "old" funitures, but look great in the style of the hotel.
From here you can walk to see all of Rome, even it not is placed in the center of all you want to see in Rome. But is a nice place, gives you the feel of big city, while being in a place where you still are able to get your sleep.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

The room was small but very cozy. Location perfect near subway line A lepanto stop and only 10 minutes from Vatican City. Staff friendly and very much helpful. Recommend for cleanness and politeness of the management! A place where I will be gladly back soon.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Billy_Billy_Billy
Reviewed 3 July 2016

We stayed at this lovely family run hotel in Vatican City ideally positioned for sightseeing and restaurants etc and near the metro. We had a really nice room with mini bar. The owners were so friendly and the staff were great. Rome is a fantastic city we will be going back as so much more to see and will definitely stay at the Gerber again

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2016

I stay at Hotel Gerber for 3 days. This hotel is not a big unit, it feels more like a small family business and my rating based on this.
A very good small hotel with good service ,more anthropocentric(personal) approach by management and staff. Clean but old style decorated, maybe a lifting would be a good idea!!rooms are quite small but ok. Nice cakes at breakfast is a plus!!
Little more expensive than what it offers

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends