All reviews metro station testaccio market circo massimo croissants minute walk rooms are big first floor five nights roman forum bars and restaurants tourist attractions stayed nights hotel room air con excellent location around the corner vatican city
Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights with my partner and I suppose it could’ve been worse.

The hotel room itself was okay although you can see it was very dated - used. You can see that the rooms were very modern but the room we stayed in definitely needed some maintenance. A couple of the lights weren’t working on the inside nor the light on the outside, the door to the outside was very dodgy and the walls were incredibly dirty (somehow there was even a shoe print on the ceiling? Slightly random), our safe didn’t work and we had expressed our concern to reception who couldn’t figure out how to fix it either so we were given the key instead so that was a bright side.

Cleaning services were average, although admittedly they did make the bed and provide fresh towels - our bed sheets were never changed and the floor hadn’t been cleaned throughout our whole stay even though you can visibly see it was dirty.

The other points I have about the hotel is their advertisement of tea and coffee facilities - the only thing they offer is a machine where you have to pay a euro for a basic coffee. Reception was as helpful as they could get, the only thing that bothered me was how they agreed to give us two extra pillows which never showed up.

The location of the hotel I believe was perfect, you can easily catch a bus to anywhere in Rome! The little restaurants beneath the hotel are an added gem in itself.

Overall I can’t say the hotel was the worst experience, could just do with a little TLC.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel on Friday the third of august.

We paid 175 euros for a double room with a jacuzzi which although expensive we decided to treat ourselves on our last night of our holiday.

We were sent to a room with a jacuzzi in the balcony for which we were excited. Sadly, the jacuzzi wasn't working and we were offered a different room which we accepted with no issue.

During our stay, the jacuzzi was fine but then the stay started going downhill. The door to a balcony we had was difficult and dangerous to use, my partner was closing the balcony blinds (pressing the buttons placed in the way of the door. And the door slammed on her fingers as i was trying to close it. - hazardous.

We decided to not bring it up and just try to enjoy our stay.

When we went to bed, we realised this wasn't a double bed but two single beds pushed together. This is not what is advertised and it is very disappointing for the amount of money we paid.

The worst came the morning after when we found our whole bodies covered with bites of ticks (I killed a tick on our pillow). This is a serious hygiene issue that is unacceptable in a hotel.

That morning, the bites hadn’t swollen as they were still fresh, and we never had this experience so we didn’t really know what to do. As the day went by, the bites got worst and worst and by the end of the day we had to go to A&E to get medication to avoid infection.

I e-mailed the hotel explaining the situation and expecting some sort of apology and compensation to what they answered “England is full of ticks, how do we know you didn’t bring them with you?” And “we don’t accept blackmail”.

What kind of costumer service is this? The hygiene is lowest standard I’ve ever experienced and no apology offered. Disgusting!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
T4427OHinfo, Direttore at Hotel Re Testa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

here is a copy of the answer we already sent our guest
My dear Sir We are very sorry for what happened about your stay in our hotel. You had a room with a private Jacuzzi, and it is for what you paid, so we gave you the service. You were not moved to another hotel, we solve immediately the problem. Only a pair of questions: why did you tell us anything at check-out time? Why you didn’t tell us about the ticks? This is a real serious problem, you know, and if there were ticks you should tell us immediately but you didn’t . When we have problems in hotels the first thing we do is tell the manager or the receptionist what happened, but now it could be a little bit stranger, don’t you think? from the photo you sent us, we do not recognize the room n. 33, where you stayed How can we be sure this is our hotel? You came from London (you sent us an email, do you remember? And in England ticks are very numerous - it is written on web, it is not our opinion) We have checked but we do not see ticks. Other guests from the same room hadn’t problems. Anyway let us know what can we do. And, of course, if we accept blackmail, it would be to admit faults we do not have.

Reviewed April 24, 2018 via mobile

I have been in Rome before so I had a pretty good idea of how to get around, I knew the hotel was a bit far from the train station but for three guys its was OK, if you take the train from the airport you will have to walk to the hotel but again we were three guys and we didn't mind, most of the streets in Rome are cobblestone like and if you are dragging a suitcase it will suffer, this hotel is not in the middle of the landmarks it is located in a regular neighborhood, it doesn't have any touristic appeal but it is a great place if you don't mind walking to the Coliseum. Rooms are big and the have a private bathroom, luxury that you will miss if you book those hotels next to the landmarks, breakfast was pastries and coffee but good to start our day, we walked from the hotel to the coliseum and it took us maybe 15 minutes, not a problem there, our room also had a little kitchen so we purchased some food at a local store like two blocks from the hotel, we never felt unsafe in the area but as always you must use caution when wandering in a unknown city in the world, our reservation was prepaid and we didn't have any problem the last day at check out time, the front desk girl called us a cab when we were on our way back to the airport. Overall we had a good experience with this location, we were basically going there to sleep, recommended to anybody that is flexible getting around and don't want to pay big bucks for a room to sleep while on vacation.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Samuel M
Reviewed April 21, 2018

The hotel Re testa is located at around 10 minutes by walk of the metro station Piramide. From there, you're at two metro station from Colosseo and the Roman Forum.
The surroudings were not very nice. it is in a modern building but the rooms are big, quiet and at reasonnable price. The staff is friendly and you may find in the surroundings two good restaurants at least (5 minutes by walk).
My room had a terrasse and was clean. The breakfast buffet was simple but really cheap (5€).

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

My sister and I recently went to Rome for the first time. We had never been on a city break before so wasn’t quite sure what to expect. We got the train from the Leonardo Di Vinci Airport then the metro from Termini (4 stops - approx 7 minutes) to the closest station to the hotel (Pirimade). Unfortunately as soon as we arrived at Termini off the train we struggled to find the metro tickets as the signs seemed to have stopped. An official looking man approached us and asked if we wanted any help. We asked him where we could buy metro tickets and he said he’d take us. We were probably naive but after turning a corner, going down 2 flights of stairs and paying for our tickets, the man took my change out of the machine and said he was keeping it because we used his services. He then badgered my sister for money but she was having none of it.

Despite what others said on here, the hotel is quite a trek from the metro with all your bags and if you’re not used to the completely unpredictable drivers, like us, the roads are a nightmare to cross with bags. My sister’s suitcase wheel actually came off on the walk because the pavements were semi-flooded and uneven. On arrival to the hotel we had to walk around it a few times to find the entrance. We’re not used to being in hotels which don’t have an obvious grand entrance so maybe it was just us! The door is locked and you have to press the buzzer to get in each time. Reception is on the first floor, there was a working lift.

The receptionist was helpful but I would make sure you pay your city tax at the beginning of your stay if you can because we had to scrape together our euro’s at the end as we forgot! We arrived early but were given a finished room.

I had read the reviews and was sceptical about being on the road side due to the reported noise. I told my sister and she thought I was just being negative until it got to night time (Wednesday night) and she murmured ‘ok it’s quite loud’ from her bed.

The door to the balcony was broken so we couldn’t use it and one of the floor to ceiling length shutters didn’t work so the light wasn’t fantastic. The shower dominated the whole of the shower space so shampooing was a challenge as it washed out as you were putting it in! Beds were comfortable but I could feel some springs. There was a hairdryer in the room but unless you have short hair I’d consider taking your own as it had the power of one of those hand held fans. There was no shampoo etc. Only bar soap.

It was absolutely freezing in Rome when we went but the room’s heating worked well. The sheets as others have commented are not washed daily I don’t believe. WiFi was good.

We didn’t try the breakfast so cannot comment. There is a vegan cafe (we’re not vegan) opposite the metro station which we had breakfast at one morning. It was excellent food (not a huge amount of choice). We had chocolate croissants, a muffin, cafe lattes and apple & cinnamon cake between us and it was super yummy. Only €4.50 each too which is brilliant considering we paid €5 for a (cold) cafe latte the day before at a restaurant near the colosseum. A few shops down, there is an excellent restaurant we went to for lunch and dinner. Prices weren’t bad, both the waiter and waitress we had spoke brilliant English and explained the menu in full. Food was delicious!

Unfortunately we fell victims of the dreaded transport strike which was between 8:30am and 5:00pm. We stupidly waited until almost the last train in the morning as we were knackered from
travelling the day before. When we changed at Termini it was absolute hell. People pushing to get on the trains, I lost my sister on the train as she got dragged away with the crowd and it was very stressful! Luckily we found each other and everything was fine but I wouldn’t want to do that with children - far too dangerous.

Thursday night was very quiet and we slept well until morning when the bins were being loudly collected outside and there were new arrivals which were either being super loud or the walls were paper thin. Friday night was AWFUL. There was screaming, fights, ridiculously loud music... the bass was so loud at one point, our table in our room started vibrating across the stone floor and the glass was audibly shaking. That was at 2:30am and I struggled to get back to sleep. My sister slept through it.

Overall the hotel was good for the price but I wouldn’t stay again due to its location (quite far from everything) and the noise at night was unreal (and I live on a busy road into a large city in the UK).

Rome itself was great BUT I will say a lot of our trip was ruined by people trying to sell tours, phone chargers, selfie sticks, bracelets etc at the tourist attractions. The colosseum was do-able but Vatican City was dreadful and we were begging people to leave us alone. After not even 10 minutes of looking at the church we must have been approached around 12 times. They all want to give you the same ‘free information’ and because we got so fed up and ignored one of them he started shouting ‘nice people!’ at us in public. They walked in front of us to stop us from going places, put their hands out etc. It really ruined it. We were even asked to provide evidence of our pre-bought tickets to some - absolute cheek. We were so stressed we actually ran up the wrong side of the queue at the Vatican to get away from them and a real official had to convince us he was trying to genuinely help us! We got into the Museums for €8 (student ID required) but the normal price is €17. We queued for an hour but I’d rather queue for an hour than pay a pusher €40 for a ‘childs’ price. Just be warned.

Date of stay: March 2018