“you feel like home...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Oslo
“you feel like home...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

This is such a lovely hotel. The hotel is very close to metro station, so minutes away from Vatican and it usually takes about 15 minutes to downtown city. This hotel is run by a family and they are really there to help you. They welcomed us with a huge smile when we arrived and they helped us a lot during our stay with all the valuable information on Rome. The rooms have a style and they were recently renovated, and they were very clean. The breakfast was also very nice, with fresh bakery... I am looking forward to going back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OZGY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My Husband and I enjoyed every minute of our stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They took care of all our needs from making restaurant reservations to arranging transportation to the airport. Our room was small, but very clean and comfortable. The breakfast choices exceeded our expectations....As a coffee addict, my favorite feature was the self-serve cappachino machine.

The Hotel is located away from the main attractions, but it's just around the corner from Cornelia Metro stop, providing excellent access to everything we wanted to see. We bought Roma passes which gave us three days of unlimited Metro rides and entrance to several of the sites around the City.

The only problem we encountered with the hotel is that Yahoo Maps shows it in an entirely different location, so we wasted a considerable amount of time looking for it when we arrived. If you take the Metro, look for the McDonalds at the Cornelia stop. The hotel is around the corner from the McDonalds, about 500 feet down the block.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reiki2010
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

My friend and I stayed here for several nights over the marathon weekend in Rome. I must say that the hotel both met and exceeded our expectations in almost every respect.

The hotel itself cuts a striking image as you enter with wonderfully ornate sculptures, pieces of art and general decor from the entrance right through to the reception, foyer and dining area, lending a sophisticated and distinctly Roman ambiance to the place. The staff were warm, welcoming and extremely helpful, going out of their way to meet our every request. A special word of thanks should be given to one of the reception staff, Renata, whose constant cheerfulness, enthusiasm and helpfulness made our stay infinitely more pleasant. Our room was clean, very nicely decorated and in excellent condition. Not particularly spacious but perfectly adequate for two people. The bathroom facilities were perfectly acceptable and the shower was very powerful and effective.

I must also make mention of the free WiFi access granted to all residents of the hotel. My friend and I found this facility to be invaluable as we looked to keep up with all the latest developments back home on our laptops and smartphones.

The breakfast provided was excellent with a wide range of food to suit all tastes. Whether it is a fry, continental breakfast or simply a cup of coffee and a croissant, there is a comprehensive selection to satisfy any appetite.

The hotel also boasts a modest size gym room (treadmill, bike & weights), hot tub, sauna and steam room which we took full advantage of, especially in the aftermath of the marathon! It was also very nice to avail of these facilities to relax and unwind after a long day's walk on the tourist trail through Rome's many sights.

I must point out that we paid a very reasonable rate considering the quality of the hotel, the standard of service and the range of facilities outlined above.

The location of the hotel is not absolutely ideal, as it is approximately 15-20 minutes on the metro line from the centre of Rome. However, the hotel is located only several minutes' walk from the nearest metro station so we found that this did not hinder the enjoyment of our stay in any way.

I have never posted a review of hotels I have stayed in on sites such as Tripadvisor before. However, my wonderful experience of Hotel Aurelius has compelled me to do so here. In short, I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It is one of the best, in fact, probably the best hotel I have stayed in, when I weigh the very reasonable rates against the overall quality of service and facilities.

Having thrown a coin into the Trevi fountain during my stay in Rome, it is said that I am sure to return to Rome. If indeed I do, Hotel Aurelius will be my accommodation of choice.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank David577
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Pros: Very friendly staff, very clean rooms, good breakfast. Only about a 5 minute walk from the metro station.

Cons: On a very busy street with thin walls. Small rooms.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and we felt it was a good value. Most importantly, it was very clean.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights recently and although it is not in the centre it is only a few minutes walk from the metro connecting you to all the main attractions. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff at the hotel are some of the friendliest we have ever experienced which helped to make our break more enjoyable. We feel we must pay a special mention to Renata who went out of her way to help us sort things out when my purse got stolen on the metro. Thanks for making our break so enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SheffieldMargaret
North West, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

**I have uploaded some photos of our room, please excuse my clutter - look out for the photos labelled Room 342_souting UK** =) Hope you find this review helpful =)

My husband & I stayed here over my birthday weekend and we wanted a city break to Rome to celebrate our wedding anniversary (26th to 31st Jan 2012). We booked via Expedia and paid an average of £41.32 per night (with an additional 3 Euros per night for Rome's City Tax, totalling 30 Euros). We stayed in room 342 and think this is one of the superior rooms as its on the third (highest floor) with only one other room next to it. There was a minimal amount of noise as the room next to us (room 340 wasn't occupied the entire time we were there) however when there were residents there, we could hear them if they raised their voice. One of the pros of our room was the beautiful terrace which overlooked the city of Rome. We also bought our ipad with us and so in the evening the sky was so clear, we decided to use our stargazing app which was pretty cool and romantic too! =)

At the time of booking I left a special request message to advise the hotel of our celebratory weekend, so as an added bonus, 10 minutes into check in and familiarising ourselves with our hotel room, we had a knock at the door. One of the members of staff had bought us a bouquet of beautiful roses to say "congratulations" to our anniversary =) it was a delightful surprise and we couldn't believe how lovely the staff were for the thoughtful gesture =) We later had to pay for the bouquet (15 Euros), but up until then we thought that it was a gift for the hotel, it was a lovely gesture all the same =)

All the staff were lovely at the hotel, two members of staff that were particularly lovely were Alexandra & Nancy =) We had a nice chat with them each day and they were very attentive =)

One of the best things of the hotel besides the 5* quality service, was the amazing breakfast buffet! The buffet was absolutely amazing - there were scrambled eggs & hard boiled eggs, bacon and sausages. There is white or brown bread with two toasters available. There is also separate table with the continental breakfast stuff, sliced ham and sliced meats, sliced cheese, salami, mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes. Another table with two types of cereal, yoghurt pots and fresh milk. Lastly there is another table which has pastries, fruit and biscuits etc, which is next to the fancy coffee machine and selection of teas.

Cornelia - Metro Exit :
The location of the hotel is absolutely amazing, it is literally round the corner from Cornelia Metro stop, just make sure you take the correct exit! Unlike us, we spent about 20 minutes looking for the hotel because we took a different metro exit! Take the left exit when you get off the metro (look for the exit that says "Via Aurelia"). When you leave this exit, you will see McDonalds at the corner of the road. At the McDonalds, turn right, walk about 50metres and you will see the hotel on the right hand side, there is an ice rink across the road!

How to get to the hotel from Ciampino Airport:
Option 1:

We took our flight with Ryanair via Liverpool airport and arrived at Ciampino airport on time. You have an option of purchasing a "Terravision" bus ticket (for 4Euro pp one way or 8Euro return) and can buy this on the flight. The Terravision bus will take you to Termini (city centre/ the main train station) from there you can take the Termini Metro Line A to Cornelia.

Option 2:
A cheap & easy way to get to the hotel (which is the option we took) was to take the ATRAL bus from the airport's bus station. Take the bus to Anangina Metro stop which takes on average 20 to 30 minutes. The Anangina metro is situated at the end of Metro Line A. From there take the metro to Cornelia. It cost 1.20Euro pp each way. If you have a large suitcase, it will cost an extra 1.20Euro per piece of luggage. Total saving of 2.80euros per person! As they say, if you look after the pennies, then you'll look after the pounds!

Recommendations:
> Gustando restaurant - there is an authentic Italian restaurant just a few minutes walk from the hotel. It was so good we ate here 3 nights running! We tried the pasta, pizza and salads too. I ordered a lasagne one night, which was a bit dry and hard for my liking, but the staff were fine with me changing it for something else. Defo try the mussels & clam sauce with a pasta of your choice - i had this twice it's so delish! Also highly recommend the zucchini (courgettes to us Brits) flower & anchovies pizza and also the Mediterranean Insalate (salad).

> We made the most of our great location, we bought a 7day BIGLIETTI pass (which is good for the metro bus & trams I'm told). We bought it at the vending machine at the bus station at the airport. We only used it for the metro, and it cost 16Euros pp for the 7days, which was a bargain considering we used the Metro so much!

> One word of warning, in the event that there is a strike on the Metro line, the escalators will be switched off so you will have to do a bit of walking and you will probably need to take a bus to get back to the hotel, its too far to walk. We got caught out at Termini station and couldn't get back onto Metro line A to get to Cornelia. We ended up wasting about 2hrs traipsing around the station looking for help to get to Cornelia! In the end, we managed to find out how to get back to the hotel. You have to take the bus 492 from the road, Via Volturno (which is round the corner from the station and just a bit further up from Via Marsala). Take the bus to the last stop, the bus driver will turn the bus off so you know when to get off, then take Bus number 490 from further up the road and then you will see a bus stop just round the corner to get back to road, Via Aurelia, Cornelia Metro Stop.

> The hotel is only 4 stops from the Vatican - get there early to avoid the queues. We joined a half day tour via www.viator.com it cost £96 for the two of us and we took the 9.30am start. It is an approx 3hr tour, but it was absolutely amazing, our guide Angela was so good, she really made the tour entertaining and fun, but really detailed too - defo worth the money =) Another top tip, if you are there on the last Sunday of the month make sure you go to St Peter's Basilica, if the Pope is in town, he will hold Sunday mass and then he will hold a speech at his window facing St Peter's Square. We got to see him and hear him from the square loud and clear (they have a very good audio system!), plus you get to visit the Vatican for free although it does close early (at 12.30pm).

> To get to the Colosseum aka Colleseo (from Cornelia change at the Termini metro stop onto blue Line B from there, its only 2 stops away). We went to the Colosseum 4 times! Twice at night, we took some gorgeous night shots here, just make sure you get there around 5.30-6pm when the place is clearing out so you have no ppl in your photos and make sure you take your tripod for steady night shots =) I also highly recommend the Colosseum guided tour. The ticket into the Colosseum is 12Euros pp, for an extra 4.50Euros pp you get to skip the queues and participate in a 45minute guided tour, defo recommend this. Alternatively you could pay 4Euros pp for an audio tour instead, which is a handset that you hold up to your ear and walk around on your own guided by the handset. The 12 Euros also pays to get you into The Forum on Palatine Hill and the ticket is valid for 24hrs.

> Another top tip - take an empty water bottle with you, there are water fountains at most of the sightseeing hot spots around Rome, so you can fill your water bottle for free =) saved us a few Euros on water and meant we spent our Euros on delish Gelato instead! =D

Pros:
> wifi - the wifi didn't work in our room, but it worked whilst we were in the lobby or at breakfast, which was fine for us =) Just make sure you get a wifi code from reception every 2 days.
> Breakfast buffet was amazing!
> Lovely room with a terrace too =)
> Large bathroom with heated radiator rack for our towels
> Air conditioning
> Flat screen tv (although there are no English speaking channels, it was fine because we only had it on for background noise).
> We had a set of IKEA scales in our bathroom to weigh ourselves (which made us realise we had put on a few lbs from the delish Italian food - oh well!) but we also used it to weigh our luggage which was handy as Ryanair are really strict on weight restrictions!
> Very convenient location to the Metro stop all the sightseeing hot spots of Rome
Just round the corner from McDonalds, local shops & restaurants

Cons:
> None, the only con is that we had to leave Rome and return home from this hotel! =(

Room Tip: When you book via Expedia, leave a message in the "special request(s)" box and the hotel m...