After much searching for a suitable hotel we settled on the Aurelius for our wedding anniversary - how glad we were! We arranged private transfer from the airport which was easily done via emails. This was 50 euros (taxis are 48 euros), worth the money and we were met an hour early due to an early landing. When we arrived we found we had the room with a balcony as requested (following other Trip Advisor advice) and it was ready several hours early! This was typical of the helpful, friendly staff throughout our stay - this is what good customer service is all about. I'm sure they could teach other hotel staff a thing or two about looking after their guests. The service was second to none.
The whole hotel was spotless with beautiful decor and we loved our room with our terrace and balcony and walk-in double shower! (340). The little touch of leaving quotes and weather updates attached to our door each morning was lovely! Breakfast was very varied and tasty and set us up for the day and we also enjoyed a drink in the little bar.
The hotel was just a few minutes from the Metro - we bought a three day pass for 18 euros which was great value. There were a few good places to eat nearby (Sora Pia and Ferro E Ghisa) and we enjoyed a few cold beers at Antico Caffe Aurelia just a few doors down.
All in all, a fabulous, memorable stay and we will definitely be back - may even bring the teenagers next time!
A few tips when in Rome....
* Book a tour - this is an absolute no brainer. If you want to avoid queueing for hours at the Colloseum, Vatican, etc. We booked tickets in advance but the tour was much better value - we went with RomAround (very knowledgable guides with good sense of humour)
* Ideally wear trainers - your feet will thank you for it
* Remember the rule of three - if you're around any attractions turn your back then walk 3 blocks before eating/drinking. Apparently will be three times cheaper and taste three times better....
* Take a bottle and fill up with water at the fountains - the water is fine to drink
* Ask for house carafe of wine - great value
* There is a lot of graffiti and litter which is a shame but I guess that's a problem in most places.
* Keep alert around the beggars (particularly the women breastfeeding children) - you may need to be more assertive with them
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Aurelius Art Gallery Rome Hotel is a delightful "Boutique 4 star Hotel", intimate and cosy, wich offers its customers a relaxing and well-being stay. Our Property is three subway stops away from the Vatican City and we are only a 100 meter walk from the subway station "Cornelia" and several bus stops, and 50 mt to the Sit shuttle Bus to fiumicino Airport. This gives our customers the possibility to get to the heart of the city in no time at all. The atmosphere of the hotel is high class elegance, and our staff will always be ready to assist you during your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Aurelius Art Gallery Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aurelius Hotel Rome