“Facility is charming, rooms clean, staff friendly, away from the center”
Review of Domus Sessoriana

Domus Sessoriana
Ranked #311 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Hotel is in a former monastery - rooms are spread over two
floor-high ceilings. Our second floor room was equal to a
fifth floor in New York City.

Room was clean, sheets changed very day, toilet and shower
were fine. Since this is a converted medieval monastery,
there were some quirks with the electrical wiring. Nothing
major, just needed to keep the room card in the slot to keep
the electricity running. Once we got used to the concept, it
was fine.

Located about ten minutes by bus from the Termini Station -
bus runs every fifteen minutes most of the day, then less
often at night. Also near a metro stop, but bus is
preferable.

Facility is charming, with beautiful church right next door.

Morning breakfast was adequate.

Only complaint was that when we arrived from the airport
after long trans-Atlantic flight the lift was not working.
We arrived the day of an incredible rain storm - the bottom
of the lift was flooded, so was the Metro. Metro was out for
two days. (When we went to visit the Coliseum and Forum,
both were closed; we were able to see the Forum the next
day, but Coliseum was still closed from the floods.) So
cannot hold it against the Domus Sessoriana for the non-
functioning lift.

Tip - take a coach from the airport instead of the train.
Coach takes multiple travelers direct to their destination,
and cost is EUR 15, train would be EUR 14, and then would
have to get to wherever you are staying from Termini. (Given
the flooding and closing of the Metro when we arrived, this
would have been impossible.)

We were in Rome the third week in October, and on the
property of the hotel (property is city owned in Rome), was
the location for Occupy Rome. There, as in cities around the
world, mostly young people were gathered to express their
grievances with a society that provides the young generation
with no future, while threatening cuts in social services
against all of us. There were about 30 tents, with
protesters cleaning laundry daily, cooking, and holding
general assemblies to debate issues.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jaynyc59

Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel for only one night, and the other 3 guests I arrived with stayed for a second. The hotel is quite minimal in terms of the comfort level of rooms and other services. The location is good, the hotel building and grounds are lovely, which is what I expected.

Breakfast is fine, nothing special. The reception staff I had dealings with seemed under pressure; the first I encountered upon check-in was very nice and did his best for us, but the night staff I found somewhat cool, unfriendly and only grudgingly brought a second blanket for the room after being asked for it five times.

The main difficulty we encountered was with our arranged pick up service, which simply didn't arrive and after numerous phone calls, which were not cheap on my mobile phone's roaming network, we were offered a second pick up more than 2 hours later from our windy and uncomfortable location. We opted for a taxi and the hotel, to be fair to them, did agree to provide a free airport drop-off to make amends. However, I'm sure that had we not made a fuss this would not have happened as I had to ask several times if this would be the case or not and it took a full day to get a response. It was a weekend and the manager was not in house. Hmm. Had I not had a phone, as many travelers didn't, we would have had no idea what was going on.

I'm not sorry I chose this hotel, but the trip could have been slightly less stressful with better organization and better communication between the staff and the staff and the guests.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Domus Sessoriana is a 4 star hotell. We stayed here for 2 nights and I was very amazed as it consists of 2 buildings adjacent to a cathedral. The corridor, as you can see in the photo, is very impressive. The rooms are not too big though and there was a bad sewage smell in our bathroom.

Breakfast was pretty staisfactory and they have the best coffee machine in the corridor! 5 minutes out to the right you’ll find the tram and it’s very cheap to travel in Rome ; for 1 euro you can go anywhere you like within 70 minutes.

As you walk out from the hotel and along a park you will end up at San Giovanni in Laterano which is the beautiful cathedral of the Church of Rome. Opposite the hotel you’ll find a very nice café with lovely gelato!

Here is a fantastic cityguide:

If you only have a day:

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ervegard
Reviewed 19 October 2011

The hotel is located inside the complex of the Basilica of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme. If I hadn't read this before, I think I would have had some difficulties of finding it. But when you know it, look for the small door just on the right of the main Basilic entrance. The only indication is a very small and discrete sign on the door, that is hardly readable from the main road. Look for the "10" street number which is bigger.

From Termini station, take metro A to San Giovanni. Then don't take Viale Castrense which is a very uneven road, very bad if you have baggages (my experience). Instead, go through the fortification through the white gate that you see when you exit the metro station. Take then on the right Viale Carlo Felice. The church tower you see at the end of that street is where the hotel is. Something like 10 minutes walk from the metro station. Alternatively you can take tram 5 or 14 from Termini to Piazza di Porta Maggiore. This is faster and less than 5 minutes walk. But at peak hours it's impossible to get in the tram with baggages.

Room was clean. Not very large, but OK. Building interior and the room look a little bit austere, but don't forget that you are in an historic building. The room was very quiet as the window was on a side of the building inside the Basilica's complex. TV was minuscule and mainly with italian channels; but you don't go to Rome to look at TV... Breakfast was basic, but sufficient to start the day.

Don't miss the very large terrace on the roof, where you have a great view of Rome.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank CH_Traveller
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Being an older traveller, I like convenience, simplicity and budget conscious locales. I have planned multi-week, multi-city itineraries for myself and for couples who abide by the Rick Steve's philosophy of travel. All that being said, I found Domus Sessoriana to be an absolute treasure on mutilple counts. The building itself is a unique and historic venue attached to one of Rome's major churches with a fascinsating history. My first experience was in the main hall where the sight of large vaulted ceilings, expansive hallways and beautiful quiet ambience was sheer delight. And the room my son and I got the frst trip there was 3x the size of our 'chambre' in Paris. A view over the tennis court bounded by Hadrian's Wall, heated towel racks and 4 single beds which would never be found in a more mainstream hotel. As a monastery, it was exactly what I expected, which included quiet hallways, blissfully expedient sleep and elegantly simply decor. Sparse but very roomy, small tv ( I don't really care about that). Nice showers, clean and refreshing, nice towels and the convenience of said towel racks when you do laundry in the sink! Typical light breakfast was very adequate and, as I love observing the architectural aspects of these type of buildings, an adventure in the basement, or lower levels of the building. Sometimes navigating within the premises can be a bit challenging but that is a minor issue in my book. It gives one the opportunity to see more than you bargained for!

A second stay there was a bit surprising as we were put in the upper, smaller rooms. Not at all how I desribed the palce to my then travelling partner. She was confused by the small and secluded room, but enjoyed the location and the overall experience as our vantage point offered us some great views of 'hidden' aspects of the building, the roof top view, the gardens, very different views of the church, Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, and the grounds. The church is a real treasure to explore!

The location is fantastic as it excludes you from the busy touristy locations but is a brief stroll to San Giovanni in Laterano, then down to the Colesseum and the Roman Forum, the Baths, etc. I found it to be extremely delightful locatin and so peaceful to return to when all you want to do is re-charge before you go at exploring the treasures of Rome.

You won't find bars and restaurant options. No clubs around and no in house night life but for some of us, we can find that when we want to so enjoy a secluded, refreshing and spiritually invigorating stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main hall
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank oleoiam
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The only good thing about this place is what it looks like on the outside. The Basilica is beautiful but avoid the hotel like the plague. We've never been treated so badly! This hotel is obviously not affilliated with the church in any way. They told us the gardens (shown on their website ) belong to the adjacent monastery and not to the hotel so you are not allowed to go there. Their knowledge of the English language is selective and seems to come and go depending on their moods. There is one tall man that works at the desk which is especially mean natured. He scoffed at us when i lost my passport. I thought it may have fallen out in the cab service they use on the night before but he refused to call them to see if it had been turned in. He just kept chuckling and said we should be more worried than we were.
The rooms are stark and beds hard as the sidewalk. Also the shower drains don't work so only one person can effectively shower per day. Unless you enjoy standing in cold soapy dirty water up to your ankles. The bathtowels are more like hand towels and that's if you can manage to get one at all. Also climate control is next to nonexistent. The breakfast staff was usually scowling or glaring at you and that particular neighborhood was not too keen on Americans. Definitely stay in the touristy parts of Rome for food and lodging. This place is deffinitely not upscale and at 170. euro per night it was no bargain either. The only reason we picked it was because of the religious connotation
. But there was deffinitely no warm and fuzzy feeling to be had there. Our quest to feel more at one with God went severely awry when we picked this place.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel. If it's your first time in Rome use an American based hotel...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank herbie759
Reviewed 15 October 2011

If you are looking for a convenient, no frills, and economical place to stay in Rome, this is the place for you. My husband and I stayed for 4 nights and we were very pleased with the location, especially for 70 euros per night in early September.
The basilica is beautiful, and the area is very quiet. The walk to the metro is about 7 minutes, or about 25 minute walk to ancient Rome. We walked early morning and late night, and always felt safe. There is a lovely cafe and bakery across the street, and some great local restaurants in the area - perfect to go to if you are looking to get away from the touristy areas.
The cold breakfast served was much better than we expected, given the price of our room, and it is included in your stay. It included cheeses and meats, fresh breads and crossiants, cakes, cereals, yoghurt, fruit, juices and coffee.
Our room was big enough to fit our needs, and very clean. The bed was a bit too hard for my liking.
The service was great at the front desk. All of the front desk employees spoke english, and were very helpful in supporting us in trying book reservations at museums. They made phone calls for us, and even gave us a free internet pass for their internet cafe to book on line. It also seemed to be one of the last places in Rome to sell the very popular Roma Pass, that was sold out on line and everywhere else we looked into prior to our trip.
Overall, we definately got our money's worth, and more than expected given the price.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple