“WONDERFUL LITTLE HOTEL IN A GREAT LOCATION!”

Residenza Antica Roma
Ranked #376 of 3,664 Rome B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“WONDERFUL LITTLE HOTEL IN A GREAT LOCATION!”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Just returned from our trip to Rome. This hotel is in an excellent location 2 mins from metro, 2 mins from trevi, 4 mins spagna, 10 mins Collosseum. Fantastic! The hotel is ont he main road so it's always easy to find and doesn't involve navigating a maze of side streets. Lots of good restaurants nearby as well.

Our room was small but perfectly formed, clean and with a big comfy bed. The bathrom was spotless and had a great shower. I wouldn't recommend if you have a buggy or young kids as the lift is so tiny so I can imagine it being a big hassle.

Breakfast was the normal continental stuff. Service by hotel staff was great, good travel advice and made reservations for dinner etc.

Air con in the rooms, windows that actual open properly (I HATE it when they openly open a bit!)

Shop around for prices on this hotel as I found the variation between websites was enormous.

A great stay in all. Highly recommend

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My Fiancee and I went to Rome for the first time for our 2nd year anniversary...he secretly arranged a bottle of prosecco by emailing Paulo (great man!)... so as I entered the room, there was a lovely bottle on ice waiting for me! Paulo also let us check in early! All staff are very kind and helpful. We spent 4 nights and 5 days in Rome. Our room was on the 4th floor...very spacious, bathroom is small but we were told to expect this as the norm for majority of Roma hotels! I loved the room, the red and gold wallpaper...it was all so traditional and romantic!

I cannot recommend this hotel enough! Absolutely amazing! Central to everything! You turn left and you get to Trevi Fountain, turn right and you get to Spanish steps! We walked to all the famous sights apart from colosseum and vatican where we took the metro (also a good experience!

I would recommend to book tickets for the colosseum and vatican museum beforehand as the queues are quite long!

A word of warning : It is very easy to get conned! We met a couple that told us they got ripped off by rose sellers ( you will find many rose sellers!)...also my fiance and I got conned by men dressed as roman gladiators outside the colosseum (again you will find many men like this outside famous buildings)...the men insisted we take a photo with them, but we said no, within seconds they put a gladiator hat etc on my fiance and asked me to take a picture...we had no clue we'd have to pay for this so I took a picture...then he asked me to stand next to my fiance and take a pic with the other gladiator dudes and so i did and then they asked for money...my fiance and I thought we would give about 5 euros so we handed him a 10 euro note and he looks at us with disbelief and says 10 euros per person! And we were gobsmacked! 10 euros per person for taking a picture with MY CAMERA! You've got to be joking! We gave the money and weren't at all happy! So we sat down and observed these men...not only did they rip us off-they also ripped off young kids! We were shocked! I would advise you to stay away from these men unless you really want to spend 10 euros and take a picture with them.

So after each day of walking around sight-seeing, we would come back to a lovely clean room. I forgot to mention the bathroom has a shower (no tub) and they provide amenities such as shower gel, cap etc. The room also has a fridge and a little safe in the fridge (odd I know!), but it was quite handy!

Level 3 has a vending machine...hot chocolate was not so good! You could get a variety of snacks and chocolates.

I would recommended eating the nutella gelati at Alice's gelateria...so you walk out of the hotel and turn right, past sephora, cross the road and take a sharp right and just walk straight till you come to the gelati shop-we tried many gelati places but this one was the best! Also a handy tip if you walk straight on you will come to spanish steps! How convenient is that!

Restaurants at spanish steps were amazing! Some were pricey but some were quite reasonable.We found the food in Rome to be quite expensive, but it was delicious and well worth it! We would definitely go back again! And would definitely go back to Antica Roma...a lovely hotel and a great experience!

Thanks to all the staff that made our trip so perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 4 and 5 are larger
3 Thank Addicted_to_travel87
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Just returned from a trip to Rome, myself and my wife enjoyed our visit to Rome. This was helped by the perfect location that this hotel is situated. We would gladly stay there again. Comfortable room with hot water, what more can you ask for? Thank you Antica

2 Thank Honest_man1982
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed as a couple for 3 nights.
The location is perfect. we only used the public transport to get from & to the Termini and the Airport.
Walking distance from major attractions (Pantheon, Fontana di Tervi, Spanish stairs etc), near good restaurants.
Very helpful staff, nice room, pretty clean.
Could improve the breakfast (cheap cheese, not enough bread & muffins).
the shwoer is small (no bath) and could use some renovation.
Already recomended it, would love to come again.
Arividerc'ie :)

Room Tip: Forth floor, double windows - no noise at all. room 47 in heaven...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank guyfeller
Market Deeping, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed here 3 nights in February with husband for a short holiday, mainly to see the sights of Rome. We didn't actually pay for the stay itself as we used BA Avios (BA Miles) for this. I wouldn't call this place a hotel as it doesn't offer any services, it is more like a bed and breakfast place.
Pros: Yes, it is central, just a couple of minutes walk to Piazza Barberini with the Metro and Fontana di Trevi is also very close. Our room was very quiet with a small terrace, so that was quite nice. The room had a fridge which must be very handy when it's hot outside. Staff was friendly, spoke English and the room was always made when we returned from the day's sightseeing. Free WiFi in the room.
Cons: Very small lift which often didn't work when we wanted to get to the fifth floor's breakfast room. Lack of storage was annoying, and there wasn't a single hook in the bathroom for hanging anything, towels or bathrobes. Breakfast was the same every morning, very "cake orientated" and after 3 mornings you were rather fed up with it. The bed was on the hard side.There was a flat screen TV in the room but the picture quality was bad and the only English speaking channel was CNN, everything else was in Italian. No hotel or tourist info in the room, just a note that the room must be vacated by 11.00. There was a safe inside the fridge (!!!) but it was so small that you could barely put a wallet inside.
I would recommend this place only if you get a good deal with the rate and stay only for one or two nights. It is not a bad little place, but doesn't offer the comfort you need after a long day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: Room 22 had a nice terrace with two tables and chairs. It is though possibly shared with a neighbour...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank muija
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Before we checked in the clerk wanted 16 Euros--cash (no receipt). I chose this site because it provided a continental breakfast--which we were denied. No clock in the room; had to go across the street to the hardware store and buy one. No hand lotion; no luggage racks; no maps, no tourist info in the room.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Helene G
San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 December 2011

My family and I booked this room in Dec 2011 through AA Vacations and I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I knew that it was centrally located as I have been to Rome plenty of times before this trip. As a matter of fact, I grew up in Rome. From the get go, this isn’t a luxurious palace. The rooms are more than adequate but the bathrooms are a little on the small side. But like I mentioned previously, space and luxury isn’t what makes this hotel great. The location of the hotel and quality of the staff is what makes this a truly great place to stay. The staff was beyond helpful, they were warm and welcoming. Any question we had was answered professionally. I felt as though I knew these people for years. Getting around the city was as easy as stepping out of the front door and walking to where you need to go. Being next to Piazza Barberini makes it easy if you want to take the Metro around. My family preferred to take Taxi’s around which cost about 5-10 euro depending on where you needed to go.
The rooms have in suite refrigerators which make it convenient if you are traveling with children or want to bring a panino or tramezino back to the hotel room. The rooms are turned over every morning. When we came back from a day of sightseeing with the kids our beds were always made and the bathrooms spotless. When you leave your room in the morning there is always a concierge sitting in the lobby to assist you in your travels. Because I grew up here I did not require one, but I saw the American tourists who did not know Rome as well as I did benefit from this service the hotel provides.
We did not get a breakfast package with our room but there are so many Bar’s around Rome anyway. You can go to a place across the street that sells coffee and a variety of Italian breakfast pastries and sandwiches. If you’re a smoker they have a “Tabbacheria” or Tobacco shop at the back of the bar to purchase cigarettes.
When we return to Rome later next year, we will be staying at Residenza Antica Roma again. No doubt.

Room Tip: If you can, pick a suite as it has more room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family