“Comfortable and friendly”

Ranked #779 of 1,072 Speciality Lodging in Rome
St Neots, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and friendly”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This hostel was easy to find, right opposite the Termini station and the Terravision bus station, so convenient for travelling on to other locations, although a little bit out of the way for getting to the tourist attractions, but not a ridiculous distance to walk and a reasonable Metro ride.

The building itself wasn't the best, my room was on the second floor, which wasn't great for carrying bags up etc, but the rooms were comfortable, I stayed in a dorm, with a bathroom shared between 3 dorms and didn't have a single problem. Lockers were available in the rooms as advertised, which I found wasn't the case at other hostels (bring a padlock).

Staff were friendly, and very helpful, I had a problem as, when I arrived in Rome my bag was still at Gatwick and they directed me to places where I could buy toiletries etc. and helped to translate for us one night when we were playing games in the communal area.

Breakfast was included in the price, the reception staff gave us a voucher and we walked about 200metres down the street to a cafe, where we could have a croissant and a drink, which was a lovely start to the day.

The only complaints I had were that staff were smoking behind the desk in the communal area, right under the "no smoking" sign and the door was operated using a buzzer system, which was necessary for security, but quite loud.

Overall, I found this to be the most comfortable hostel I stayed in during 2 weeks in Italy and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Charlotte2610

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I agree with the poster below - I accidentally booked for the wrong date (30 April instead of 30 June) when I booked on 24 April. Realised the mistake and emailed at 7am on 25 April asking to change booking. They put a hold on my debit card AND charged me in full for the room so charged me twice. Were extremely rude and wouldn't reply to emails. BEWARE I WOULD NEVER BOOK THIS HOSTEL. They are money hungry rip-off artists and horrible to deal with.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emma S
Pop_Manager, Responsabile reception at Pop Inn Hostel, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear costumer,

we did charge your credit card just once for the late cancellation fee, and not in full, but for the 1st night amount, according with our cancellation policy. The first operation is just the 1st night authorization (block) that we usually make to guarantee any booking, and it has already unblocked. We did reply to all your emails, also trying to explain you about this difference, even though it seems our effort was no use.

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This Hostel has what may be the most ridiculous and unforgiving cancellation policy on the planet. We were charged the full rate of the room for cancelling our reservation a full 5 days in advance of our stay. I certainly can understand a 24 hour policy, but 5 days. What is worse their website does not indicate that this time frame is in effect. Several communications to the establishment to discuss this aberation were never returned. Never again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank gumdoc45
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed in one of the private rooms. The room was huge but no ac.
The location is only good because it's close to the station but that's about it!
Oh and up like 100 flights of stairs.
Wouldn't stay again but doesn't mean I would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed July 2011
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Location is the best thing abt the hostel. If you are looking for a good night's sleep this is DEFINITELY not the place to be. Everything else is just OK.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 8 March 2012

There is so much to do in Rome, one can't expect to stay all cooped in a hostel! My friend and I stayed at the Pop Inn for a couple of nights in the winter. Although there were no heaters, they provided many blankets or warmth. There were no working showers on our side of the building so we would have to leave our floor and go down the hall to the next one. The bathrooms were big and clean and one was always free.

There is no shared kitchen but there is one shared common room. They also have two computers with Internet but it's expensive to use.

The location of the Pop Inn was fantastic. It was right by the train station so it was perfect because there were subways going to all parts of Rome, trains going to all parts of Italy, and there is also a $14 train ride to the airport.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
skg
Reviewed 17 February 2012

nothing fancy, a fair, cheap choice,
They could have better computers, or they can keep what they have BUT dont charge the use

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends