“Hotel E. Coli”

Ranked #726 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Naples, FL
“Hotel E. Coli”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel was inexpensive. But you get what you pay for...and in cases like Hotel Ercoli, more than we bargained for.

About the property: The entrance and stairway reeked of mold making it smelly and dirty. We saw feces on the toilet seat and dead insects in the room. Breakfast was disgusting and because one of our party got food poisioning from it during our stay, we nicknamed Hotel Ercoli... "Hotel E. Coli."

About the area: a store was broken into during our stay right near our hotel. Nothing was open late in our area, and we found the streets a dimly lit around the hotel.

The elevator is old and rickety and the stairs are uneven and treacherous.

Tomas (who also lives at the hotel in addition to working there) doesn't speak English and will belittle you if you don't speak Italian well. (I have two years of college level Italian, and he berated me constantly for not speaking it better as well as the rest of our group.)

This is the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel, and I have traveled all over North America, Europe, and Asia. I try to be patient with hotel staff and understanding because I know they have a difficult job and you can't please everybody. At first, we tried to have a sense of humor about the staff's aggressive attitude and the dirtiness, and the air conditioning that they refused to turn on. Our patience and good humor was quickly worn thin. I only booked this hotel because of the glowing reviews here on TripAdvisor and the price, and was sorely mislead for the first time.

However, this was not our first visit to Rome. We love this city so much, and though we tried desperately not to let it, the horrible experience of this hotel poisoned our trip. Spend a little more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank GreatScottTravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I just got back from my trip to Rome and i've to say that it was wonderful.
The hotel is very decent and clean with a great staff.
I have to thanks to Tommaso, he was incredible. Very friendly, nice and thoughful.
The breakfast was very tasty.
If you're looking for a nice place with a nice price, Hotel Ercoli is that place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Leonor A
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Ercoli hotel. We thought it was more of a 3 stars hotel. The room was very clean, the breakfast was very rich and satisfying, and the staff was very friendly. The hotel is situated in a nice neighborhood but is a bit far from the center. There are bus lines arriving close to the hotel, we walked a few times but it can be exhausting. There are nice restaurants in the area. It is a Great value for the money.
Flavio helped us a lot with directions, recommendations and everything we needed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Talilit
romanusRoma, Owner at Hotel Ercoli, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Talit,
thank you very much for your review, it is very helpful for us!
we appreciate that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel!
we hope to see you again...
Best Regards
Flavio
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The staff at Hotel Ercoli was very nice and with one exception, they all spoke English very well. The breakfast served complimentary was delicious and very similar to the one in the hotel in Venice that we paid almost twice as much for. It had flaky croissant, strong Italian coffee, cured meats, cheeses, the freshest fruit I'd ever had, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, rolls, boiled eggs ....
The rooms were clean, nice but small, however most European hotel rooms are smaller than the American version. Our street-side room was a bit noisy, but there was construction on the building across the street.
We walked to Termini in a few minutes or took cabs. Cab rides were quite affordable because the hotel is nearby most attractions. It only cost 11 Euro to get to the Vatican and 6 Euro to get to Piazza Navona.

Room Tip: Request a room that overlooks the courtyard for a quieter night.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I have stayed in several hotels, family owned B&Bs & other types of accommodation in Italy, etc. Hotel Ercoli can be loosely classified as a "hotel". As you walk into the main building, each floor consists of either a small 2 star hotel, pensione and residential apartments. To make your way to Ercoli, you go up the small old fashioned elevator to the floor where it's located.

When I entered the small reception area, I was welcomed by a friendly older man that didnt speak much English. Luckily my Italian gone me by. As soon as he showed me to my room, it was clear that the AC (which is advertised on their website) was not on. So, I kindly asked him to turn it on but he said they dont turn it on for another 1-2 hours (meanwhile, it was already close to 7PM and one of the hottest days this Sept). Later, I asked again to turn the AC on because the room didnt cool down after opening the window. The man turned it on but it was only blowing hot air. A few hours later, I advised him it still wasnt working so he flipped another switch but that didnt help either. Needless to say I didnt sleep that night!

The next morning I asked the girl working the front desk if they can fix the AC or change my room. She said there was nothing they could do about the AC and they were fully booked. So, luckily, I find another hotel down the road at almost the same rate and checked out of Ercoli.
It is interesting to see that many guests that have reviewed this hotel have had the same issue about the AC. So, if this is a consistent problem, then dont advertise the hotel has AC.

Overall, the "hotel" might be an average budget option depending on if you are are ok with fairly dark and modern rooms that lack character. This is a very basic hotel and the pics on the website make it look nicer and as if it's a hotel that is bigger than it really is. that being said, the rooms were clean and a decent size; just dont expect any frills...and possbily no AC.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank YourFriendInItaly
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We stayed at the hotel in September 2010, the staff are polite and Tomas is charming, he liked to practice his English. The breakfast is buffet style and offers a selection of rolls, croissants and other breads, cheese , meats , yoghurt, cereals and drinks etc, it is served in a very nice breakfast room. The room was small but adequate with a fitted wardrobe, desk, and a double bed and night tables views over the street which when we were there was no problem with noise etc. The downside is that the hotel is in a old building with a very old metal lift, but it was working all the time with no problems whilst we were staying.
We would go back to this hotel next time we are in Rome.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Krakow
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We only stayed for 1 night only. Flew in to Rome relatively late traveling to Amalfi Coast first thing in the morning, hence wanted to look for accommodation close to Termini. This hotel is perfect if you have similar plans.
Rooms clean and comfy, bathroom spotless too.
Breakfast was surprisingly good after all I read about Italian preferences for the 'colazione', I mean it was the typical European what-you'd-expect but served by nice and polite staff. Wide selection of teas as well, so I'm told ;-)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple