Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni
US$142
US$172
US$150
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$375
US$313
  • Restaurant
1,074 results
All reviewsponte lungotuscolana stationtrain noisehi expresstrain lineoverlooking the courtyardyogurtminute walkhotel is locatedfront desk stafffiumicino airportresidential areamain attractionsvery nice hotelbreakfast was excellentmetro stoppublic transportation
Reviewed November 19, 2017

I use the IHG group very frequently because of the consistency you get in the provided service. This hotel is located 10 minutes walk from the Tuscolana train station, so is very easy to get to from the Airport, by paying 8 Euro with the journey taking around 40 minutes. The area the hotel is situated in seems a little run down, with Graffiti and rubbish on the streets, but at no point did the area feel unsafe, as we walked around the area in the day and night and the locals were very friendly. There is a Metro station again about a 10 minute walk from the hotel, it costs 1.50 Euro for a single ticket (the machines DO NOT take debit/credit cards) so ensure you have sufficient change for the Metro, we discovered some cafes local to the Metro sell Metro tickets for the same price as the ticket machines, so can be an easier way to buy if you don't have small change to hand.

The room in the hotel was clean and comfortable, with good free Wi-Fi service. We did find the room a bit hot as there is no way to control the room temperature as it is centrally heated, so we had the window open when in the room and you heard the occasional train, but when the window was closed, the room was nice and quiet allowing a good night's sleep. The room TV only had one english channel which was a little disappointing, but not a big deal as you don't come to Rome to watch TV. There were no Tea/Coffee facilities in the room, which was a surprise as this is probably the first IHG hotel i've stayed in where this wasn't provided as standard.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the cleaning staff did an excellent job making our room feel clean and fresh every single day. Breakfast had a good selection which set you up for the day, although the plates, bowls, cups were extremely small.

We walked from the hotel into the centre of Rome each day, walking in took around 30 minutes and was pretty direct. There is a great little supermarket just next to the train bridge which offers great italian food at very good value if you fancy making a packed lunch/buying snacks.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would use it again if we returned to Rome.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank foxwales
Reviewed November 16, 2017

This hotel was part of Groupon so we did not choose it but it served us well for our 5 night stay. The room was clean and the bed very comfy. There is no air conditioning so at time the room got hot at night. We just opened the door to the balcony to cool down. Breakfast was included and always had great choices of both hot and cold items. The coffee machines were easy to use. There was eggs/sausage/ bacon for hot foods and a whole variety of breads to eat/ cakes and pastries and even really fresh fruit cocktail daily. You could make meat and cheese sandwiches as well. The location was fine--three block walk to the Metro.We did not try the bus. The staff was wonderful and answered every question we had-- they even arranged a car service to get us back to FCO airport.Truly the staff shined and fixed or helped us with every problem. There was no noise really from the trains nearby. This was a great hotel to base a stay in Rome.

Stayed: November 2017
Cangrande R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2017

Dear Seuf2010,
Let me thank you for such wonderful worlds used to describe the cleanliness, the comfortable bed and the kindness of the Staff.
Please note at time of your recent visit in November, the Rome City Council allows to provide the heating only, because the air condition is available till the end of September.

Thank you also for the recommendation and looking forward to welcome as favorite Guest, I remain with kind regards.

Reviewed November 9, 2017

Our arrival found the staff busy but cordial and helpful. The staff is really the best thing about this hotel though it seems sometimes they could use one or two more folks on duty.

Our room was comfortable but lacked seating – one desk chair and the bed. The thermostat was not intuitive to these two Americans; we agreed that what looked to us like the symbol for heat did not heat the place as well as the symbol that we interpreted as cool. The bathroom was spacious with a good shower and plenty of hot water. There were three mirrors angled in the corner, a nice touch for things like shaving. There were fresh towels daily, big and fluffy.

WiFi was inconsistent. I initially got connected but my wife couldn’t. The next day the situation was reversed. More than once over three nights I had to go through the entire log-on procedure as if a new account. On the other hand, they have my email now and keep me supplied with advertising emails from IHG.

The included breakfast was inconsistent. There was a good selection of fruit. Eggs were cold (not lukewarm, cold). Bacon ranged from overdone to underdone on the same piece. A large assortment of breads, rolls, and cakes were available with cheese and sliced meat. There was cereal (including a good granola), bottles of milk, and containers of yogurt. Then the next day the eggs were hot, but there was no bacon and no rolls in sight. There was a large tour group most of whom were heading out for the day. Even though there were 2 or 3 employees working the breakfast area, this is one area where another worker may have been able to help clear tables and re-set things after the large group left. I suspect this hotel has experience with tour groups. From reading previous reviews and management responses, I gather this is a bit of a sensitive issue. The manager pointed out to one reviewer that it is a 3-star, not a 4-star Holiday Inn. That probably means more to the corporate manager than it does to the guest who just wants coffee and breakfast. My comments may or may not be meaningful to someone wanting to know what to expect. Again, the breakfast was included in the price and we take what we get. And let me add that on at least two occasions we had an enjoyable pizza served in the courtyard, a pleasant spot to unwind. The serving staff was very good.

Reading reviews prior to our arrival, I found some folks concerned about the neighborhood and a defensive attitude from management. We never felt not save nor uncomfortable on the street walking to the bus or the metro. Actually that street is probably safer than in the mobs around the Coliseum or in the train station. Hotel staff advised us where to get bus/metro tickets. They also suggested a nice restaurant a few blocks in the other direction. In that direction the street quickly calms into a quieter neighborhood. And on the way back from the restaurant one night we noted two persons sleeping on benches on the street within 100 yards of the hotel. As suggested, that did not make me feel uncomfortable, but some may feel different about that. I admit there seems an irony to people sleeping on benches that close to a hotel.

In summary, I felt like in Rome I had an experience with corporate America. But the Italian staff tried to make it up within the confines of the corporate limitations.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cooke2012
Cangrande R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2017

DearCooke2012,
Thank you for finding the time for a such detailed comment about our property.
In my reply, I always point out the difference between the 4 stars Holiday Inn and the 3 stars Holiday Inn Express Corporate brands, because it is absolutely important, everybody knows what they do have expecting for.
It means we guarantee the same high standard level the 4 stars brand Holiday Inn adding an exceptional breakfast buffet always in rate included but without frills. This allows us to be very competitive in price range but Customer who needs extra service.
I’m really sorry you find inconsistent the complimentary Hot Breakfast Buffet, but we offer more than the Holiday Inn Express brand standard says, especially if compared to the complimentary Breakfast you can find at the Holiday Inn Express brand Hotels located in the USA.
Any way rest assured I’ll g into deep with the Food and Beverage Manager to find out the reason why the eggs were cold during the first day of you stay, this is not acceptable.
Our Hot Breakfast Buffet, always included in each type of fare, offers a choice of over 100 products, including also excellent home-made cakes and express pancakes every day. In the hot buffet are scrambled eggs, mini sausages, beans and bacon. Complete the offer cold cuts, cheese, yoghurt, honey bean, chocolate creams, jams, fresh fruit salad, 5 types of fruits and green salad with assorted vegetables.

Hoping to be able to welcome you as favorite Guest next time you will be in Rome, I remain with kind regards.

Reviewed November 7, 2017 via mobile

Driving in Rome is CRAZY.. this hotel is in a really nice area, easy access. There are buses and a metro close by... best way to get into Rome!
Bar is open 24 hours and the neighborhood is residential. So happy with this choice!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Dear Nina H,
Thank you very much indeed for you 4 stars comment and we are pleased you have been satisfied with our location, because as you perfectly wrote, driving in Rome could be very difficult if you are not used to.
I’m glad to remember to all readers, we have at disposal a private garage at the daily cost of € 12,00 per car or € 6.00 per bike only, this means you can leave you car in a secured area and reach the most important sites by public transportation without any risk.
Looking forward to welcome you as preferred Guest next time you will travel to Rome, I remain with best regards.

Reviewed November 5, 2017

This is a lovely property and great value. The staff were very friendly and helpful and some went above and beyond. The place is clean. We did ask for a less noisy room after I read prior reviews and we got a courtyard facing room. I never heard any noises.

The beds were fine but the pillows were hard. So funny. I asked a friend about the bed situation in Italy and she commented that she found the same thing in every hotel no matter if high end or in between. I'm not sure anyone else but Americans seem to care about bed and pillow softness. Oh well. After walking all day, I slept like a log anyway. lol

The bathroom was adequate and clean and I loved that there was liquid soap in the shower and sink. But no small wash cloths. Again, must be an american thing since we didn't get them in our castle either. I use shower gloves but my friend will bring a small wash cloth in her next Europe trips.

We came from a castle with no amenities on the property so I really appreciated the free breakfast. Tons of coffee options, lots of cold cuts, breads, toast, fruits, bacon and weird scrambled eggs (they rice hard boiled eggs and call that scrambled. No big deal but just don't expect the usual) and lots of lovely pastries. There were tons of choices for everyone and I thought it was lovely. And free. So there ya go.

Air conditioning in room was very good. I like it cold or you can crack a window.

A last note. This is not a great area to walk in late at night if you want to take long walks. We used the very nearby bus or Metro and walked to the hotel from those. The area still had lots of people walking around along with some interesting characters so just be aware. No need to be afraid but walk with someone if it's 9 or 10 pm or later. The minute you get into the property, the environment is calm and lovely.

We parked our rental car in the front of the hotel and had no problems. We did do what the hotel advised which was to EMPTY your car of anything so there are no temptations to anyone walking by. If you're not comfortable with that, the hotel offers parking at 20 or so EU per day.

The room also had a hair dryer. Very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a court yard facing room for more quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Cangrande R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2017

Dear Vicky D,
thank you very much for you marvelous comment about our recent stay with and for the kind words addressed to the whole Staff.

I’m glad also to know you enjoyed our complimentary Hot American breakfast Buffet.

Please note the Hotel is located in a residential area at the south part of the city centre, absolutely safe day and night. The people you saw with some interesting characters are only war refugees coming from Syria and North Africa to have lunch at the Mercy House located near us.

The daily fee for the Hotel garage is € 12,00 and not € 20,00.