“Only if you a looking for best location”

Les Chambres d'Or Hotel
Ranked #1,109 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Hotel has good location, but other things is not so good, when you pay as for 4 star hotel.
First- we writte before our flight, that we want to have separate beds and view to the street and got one big bed and view to the the yard.
The second- room was with some holes in the wall, not safety electrical socket - so it's very dangerous for children (you will see in photos).
Third - poor breakfast (only muffins, corn flakes, jam and butter), so the is nothing to eat, no eggs, no sandwiches, no hot meal.
The last - very rude girl on the bar - no help for tourist, maybe she thing, that she is pincess, but looks not so nice..

Room Tip: Noise from the street
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Karolina12345

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Located 5 minutes on foot from St Peter's Church, this small hotel offers an outstanding value for money.
The room is quite spacious for the price, very nicely decorated and clean with a well functionning air conidtionning.
The breakfast, to be taken in a coffee place in the same street, is not that great but provides a nice feeling of the italian way of life.

Graig (24)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The price for this hotel was right--as we were there for only one night--and the staff was very friendly and helpful. But be warned that the reception is across the street from the given address, which was around the corner from the building where the room was--rather confusing. The triple room was comfortable--a decent size with great beds--but was borderline shabby, with some water stains on the carpet. Also the bathroom grouting was in sore need of updating. It was fine but we would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We came to Rome for our holidays and were pleasantly suprised by the hotel we had booked. The staff was very friendly and answered all our questions. The location is excellent as it is just a two minute walk away from the Vatican and very close to many of Romes attractions. All in all a brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank brian1991
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We stayed here for two nights during Thanksgiving week during the second leg of our stay in Rome during a week-long Italy trip. The hotel has a very nice location, and is literally a 5 minute walk to the Vatican. It was a little difficult to find as the rooms seemed to be in various residential buildings around a block and the reception is across next to a cafe that also doubles up as a breakfast part of the B&B. But the staff was friendly and they found us while we were looking for the hotel.
The room we stayed in was decent sized but it was in an old apartment building. The closet, for instance, did not have a handle to open and the seat on the WC was chipped. The shower stall was also small but that seems to be the case generally there. It was also more expensive than our previous hotel in the city, but I think the premium was due to its proximity to the Vatican. The breakfast at the restaurant was a little disappointing as the buffet was not replenished often and you had empty plates with a couple of pastries left and 2-3 people waiting to get food. There is also no free Internet.
Still, our overall stay was comfortable and the location is terrific. We spent most of the time outside walking around Rome and the Vatican anyway. And it is close to a Metro stop that takes you right to the heart of the city in a few minutes.
If you are not looking for too many frills and are looking for a budget hotel in a great location, this is definitely a place worth considering.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2010

We stayed in Les Chambres D'Or for 4 nights in November 2010 and really enjoyed it. The hotel is on a quiet street, close to San Pietro and Vatican Museums, the Octaviano Metro station is two blocks away so it is easy to get around but also walk to many of the sights. The reception is at no. 17/A and our room was at no 32, just across the street. The room was small but cozy and stylish, very clean (serviced everyday) and with the windows opened you could hear the Vatican’s bells. The staff was friendly and helpful, the breakfast plentiful and was served in a separate room of Rendez-Vous restaurant, which is next to hotel reception.
The only minor criticism would be that on the beds had protective plastic sheets atop the mattress followed by the conventional cloth sheet set. Overall Les Chambres D'Or it is a solid and reasonable choice and considering its location and the rate we paid (85 Euro per night) I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My parents and I were on our first vacation to Rome. Our choice for the hotel was based on location and others' reviews on this website.

When we arrived at reception, we were led to our stay which was located a bit down the block from reception. We ordered the two-room suite for 5 nights for 3 people. The suite is immaculate, with a jacuzzi and a full kitchen, although the stove does not work or is not meant to work, it's still nice to have a kitchen. The staff was warm and helpful.

Our only complaint is the troll-like old man who apparently is the owner's father and feels like the staff is not up to par on their duties, constantly ordering them around when they are busy with other duties and being rude and disrespectful in general. Perhaps that is old school Italian that I am not familiar with but why get pissy with guests who are spending quite a large sum of money staying at your hotel?

However.... On our fourth day's stay, I wanted an extra cappuccino for me and my mother. We had one each. The old man started counting in Italian and looking very angry. I do not speak Italian but took Latin in school. There were two other guests around who did speak Italian and he started mocking me and my family in Italian to them with me standing there! One of the guests said that only two was included with the meal. I then inquired, ok well i only had one. He then put his hand to his cheek and made a gesture to suggest that we were thick-skinned and mentioned two words that I did understand. Familiae and Cinese. Family and Chinese.. Perhaps I looked young (im a Wall St professional and could have recommended colleagues to stay there on trips) and did not speak the language so he thought it okay to call me and my family names. If he wanted me to pay for the extra cappuccino, he could have just explained and told me how much it cost... It was an unnecessarily degrading experience.

I still would recommend this hotel as the other staff was very accommodating, the rooms are of good value, and the location is prime... but I hope that the owner takes note that the hotel will lose lots of business because of the busy old man running around.

One thing I noticed that was quite funny was that some napkins had inconsistent folds on them, meaning somebody (probably the cheap old man), took the un-used (hopefully) off the table guests left and put them back in the napkin pile! I actually had no problem with this as times are tough and napkins are napkins, they wipe, folded or not.

• Stayed: November 2010