All reviews star hotel walking distance trastevere towels reception
Reviewed June 26, 2018

before our departure I read some reviews and to be honest I was dreading our stay here. Upon arrival we were very dismayed as when we got in the building, it did not look like a hotel. There was a door that looked like a reception but it was locked. There was a very old fashioned lift, we went in the lift but there was no 7th floor, (The 7th floor had been replaced with a C) We then got out of the lift. We were very hot and bothered. Someone came downstairs and luckily they said C was the 7th floor and the reception was there. We went up and was approached by a very kind man. He was friendly and helpful. We got our keys to the room. It was very clean a spacious. Clean towels. The room was provided with a fan. The bathroom was slightly old fashioned but it was clean. The manager was very helpful and showed us all the good places to visit and what trams or trains to use. I would recommend buying a 3 day travel ticket which allows you on trains, trams and buses. For a 2 star hotel I was impressed. I would visit this hotel again. It is within walking distance to the buses, trams and the main train station.Shops are also near by. A great location.

Room tip: a standard room comes with a private bathroom
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank D4269ZRjanices
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

I wasn’t expecting a lot, just a cheap, clean room, shower and loo, it’s only a base for travel, what I got was so much less. Filthy room, filthy communal areas, a lift that stank, a room with a plastic bathroom, I thought I was going to falll through it, no curtains, just grubby see through blinds that didn’t close, a very uncomfortable bed, and a fan that hadn’t been cleaned in what seems years.
One thing I did get that I didn’t pay for was attitude, and a lot of it. Please don’t attempt to let any member of staff know that you are disappointed, they deny any wrongdoing talk over you, An embarrassment of a “hotel”, two stars too many. If I could rate less than 1, I very much would.

2  Thank John O
Reviewed June 13, 2018 via mobile

Strengths:
Radio Hotel is a pleasant and functional place to stay. Transport links from this hotel are excellent and cheap (Staz.de Trasterve). It was easy to get from the hotel to all of the main attractions (20-30 mins tram/train/metro/bus). The hotel staff were very welcoming and tended to our every need. The rooms are functional and clean with excellent air conditioning and shower facilities. This is not a glamorous place to stay but is very cheap and a great base for the city traveller, who spends most of the time exploring the city, rather than sitting in the room.
Weaknesses:
The hotel was rather tricky to locate (bigger sign needed) it was on the 7th floor of an apartment block. The buffet breakfast options were rather limited, we only opted for the breakfast on the first day.

Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

Welcome all to the review of Radio Hotel which has a displayed two stars. Let’s kick this off by calling it Radio Hostel. It looked like a Hostel.

Arriving in Rome we are driven by taxi around the town of Rome which was beautiful, the taxi then started driving further than we expected. At one point I thought we are being taken to either a fish mongers or a car MOT centre as when we arrived outside the hotel it was only possible to pin point it due to the tiny licence plate sized sign outside the door and the smell of fish. Even the taxi driver looked at us as if to say “really?”

Once we had got the cases out of the taxi we approached the building wondering where the hell are we? We walked through the doors and there was a small box office like room with a stale cigar on an ash tray and some old dusty magazines in. This room was unoccupied.

There was no signs or members of staff screaming or pointing “hotel this way!”

Anyway after a little scavenger hunt we found a small sign on the door bell outside saying “radio hotel 7th floor”. This was most definitely done in font 6 from Microsoft word.

At this point I had already given up on what this place was going to be like when we eventually get there.

I took a glance at the lift when I walked in and at first I expected lurch from The Adams family to pop out and take the bags but was sadly disappointed he didn’t as it this point even he would be a friendly face. The lift although did blend in with Rome.... by this I mean it was probably circa 79AD and would guarantee you needed to take out breakdown cover to get it inside.

So you are probably thinking did we use the stairs? Yes we did use the stairs which isn’t a problem but as you went up the floors it went in this sequence

Floor 1
Floor random 1
Floor 2
Floor random 2

You get the point, there was another floor between each numbered one and this made Radio Hotel “Floor 14!” or so it felt like it.

Half way up the stairs I stopped as there was a double door with an arch way and a floor mat outside. The floor mat had the initials RH and a picture of two stars.

Hmmm I thought, this must be the entrance?
I took grip of the handle to the double doors and opened it slowly... obviously? Expecting a gun shut round to come out. Well I got more than a gun shot when I opened the door.

I was met by a 45-50 year old woman in the shower right in front of me! Behind the unlocked door!

Wow! I didn’t know what to say or do and my Italian is not good so all I could do is say “Pardoneeee” what ever that meant, I immediately shut the door and grabbed the suitcase and sprang up the stairs as if a gang was chasing me in central London.

(Later on it established it was the shared bathroom) hmmm not sure what they mean by share as when I opened the door I’m sure there was someone else in there with her.

So hey, don’t get a flight to Amsterdam, come on in to radio hotel for a little “extra” on the menu.

Finally after 16 days 14 hours and 23 minutes we reach the top of the stairs and was unsure as to if I was in the meeting place for Al Pacino and his crew or if it as some random little Cafe.

We walked over to the small desk on the right where the staff were seated. I informed them i had arrived and we would like to book in!

The female on the desk give her some respect was a very friendly and helpful person.

It was explained that the room would not be ready for an hour or so and that we could come back later. Fair enough it was explained that check in was not till the afternoon.

It was explained that we could leave our bags whilst we explored room for the day. We did this and off went the suitcases with our expensive valuables inside trusted that they will be looked after.... or so we thought.

Before we left we did ask staff to explain were about’s we where on the map provided by the hotel. Staff said “were not on the map but we are somewhere down this road”.

After a few hours venturing around Rome we sat down in a local McDonalds which I must say is very impressive compared to the ones elsewhere.

We had a look at reviews and pictures from the hotel and made the decision that we would book somewhere else.

Main reasons being:

1. Cleanliness of the hotel
2. Location of hotel such as the state and outside views
3. Poor signing and explanation of where the hotel is
4. The taxi driver even looked worried in the area and had to use a Sat Nav to find it
5. Hotel staff couldn’t explain clearly where we are on the map
6. Reviews and customer photos of rooms and similar comments
7. We had to get a taxi from centre of Rome which isn’t 15 mins. It’s more like 30 mins with traffic so cost around 50 euros.
8. The area felt unsafe and unclean
9. The pictures of the hotel online are not the same in real life. (Booking.com)

Once the decision had been made I returned to collect my bags to move to a different hotel.

I went up the 40,000 steps and when I walked in the reception area again it was silent and there was no one around. The staff member was sat behind the desk watching YouTube videos and even when I walked over to the desk he told me to wait so he could finish his video? Come on really? Not professional.

I asked for my bags back and said we are not staying this evening to which the bags were collected from the balcony from where I witnessed staff members smoking on the balcony earlier. This got me annoyed yet again.

Finally another trip down the 40,000 stairs and in to the taxi and off to the new hotel in the Vatican area and I immediately felt safe, clean and protected.

It was as if the pope him self had made this choice.

Personally believe Radio Hotel...Hostel is a very well disguised hotel offering not a lot of what’s on the internet.

Bad review from me but I believe it’s what it deserves.

Don’t want anyone to make the same mistake we did.

Reviewed October 10, 2017

This hotel is situated in between Trastevere and Testaccio, both great areas to discover in Rome. Testaccio and Trastevere at walking distance, for the other areas there's a tram stop nearby (5´walk). Trainstation also at 5´walk (airport etc).
The hotel itself is great value quality/price. Basic and comfortable clean rooms, just what you need for a city trip stay.
The staff was very friendly.
It has a small bar where you can have drinks and coffee at more than reasonable prices. Breakfast available at 5 euros, small buffet with everything you need in a breakfast.
I would definetely recomend it and if I visit Rome again, I'd probably want to stay here again!

Date of stay: September 2017