“Wonderful”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rome
Suore di Santa Elisabetta
Ranked #572 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Large room, exceptionally clean, comfortable beds, large - clean bathroom and a quick basic breakfast. All in all, an excellent inn at 2x the price. Very safe with a police station nearby along with Santa Maria Maggiore and a tourist information office right at the top of the street. Several nice restaurant option within a few blocks!

The rooftop garden is large and offers excellent views of the city. I would highly recommend their accommodations. Email them directly to save a few bucks but reserve your room early. With all they have to offer and the prices they charge, they fill up fast.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dogboy12

Reviewed 4 September 2008

I recently stayed at Santa Elisabetta Suore as recommended by Rick Steves' travel guide. I reserved my room well in advance via email and confirmed a couple days before. The front staff were able to keep some personal belongings in their safe. They were able to speak English very well.

My single room with bath was very clean. It had a fan and a private terrace with patio furniture. There was a musky smell from the shower drain, but the sisters left an air freshener that automatically dispense fragrance. You can close the bathroom door during the night and all is well.

The rooftop terrace was spectacular. It was fairly quiet during dusk and dawn and you could very well have the entire terrance for yourself to watch the sunset. At times, you can catch the sister's singing from another roof top!

I would stay at Santa Elisabetta again. It was only a short walk from Termini train station and there was an tourist booth just out in front!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
5  Thank TravelgalAug
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We stayed in Rome for four days and this was our oasis from the exhausting city. The hotel is a convent run by Polish nuns who may or may not speak English. If you want to immerse yourself in Rome without the insulation of big, touristy places, stay here. The hotel itself is in a very Roman neighborhood, four or five blocks from the Termini Station. We looked for the steeples of the Santa Maria Maggiore Church to find our way there.
Once you find the church, pass directly across the square in front, and you will cross a busy street with an information booth directly across. From there, the hotel is up the hill behind the booth. It has no sign, only the number 9. It is on the Via del Olmata, so make sure you're on that street.
We had to be buzzed into the place, and got room 32, which was very spacious. It also had three twin beds, which we requested. Breakfast was a very hard loaf of bread with butter and jelly. That's it. We also had a choice of coffee, or hot or cold milk (not so cold). However, we could live with the breakfast for the price, size, and cleanliness of the room. We also really liked the rooftop terrace. We ate all our evening meals there, and had a great view of the Coliseum, Victor Emmanuel Monument, and even St. Paul's in the distance. There is an SMA grocery store across the square from the Santa Maria Maggiore church, and we bought picnic supplies there.
I would recommend this place if you don't mind the bare necessities. We felt safe there, and we loved practicing our Italian on the nuns at the check-in desk.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Clark123Pella_Iowa
Reviewed 26 June 2008

My daughter and I really enjoyed our stay at the convent. The price was so reasonable, the location was convenient to the Termini, and our rroms were clean and so welcome after a long day of walking all over Rome.

The location is fine, not the swankiest part of town, but I couldn't beat the price for a room with a private bath and a terrific rooftop balcony we could use. It was quite, safe and we felt blessed to have stayed with the Sisters. Waking up in the morning to their sweet voices brought a smile upon our faces.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank MTJTraveller
Reviewed 8 April 2008

Great location near enough to Termini for convenience but far enough that it was very quiet. 11pm curfew, but that didn't bother us as we were stuffed from all the walking during the day. Sisters were great hosts. Rooms were very clean and spacious with own bathroom. Breakfast of rolls, jam, coffee/tea was nice. Common use terrace on roof was great for a simple takeaway meal at night. Close to supermarket, cafes, bars and takeaway. Found on eurocheapo.com but booked directly via [--] Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank WigglyWorld
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Having read about the nasty smell in number 14 I dreaded to enter our room after being shown to - guess what - number 14. I fact, there was a mouldy smell in the beginning, but after tracing the stench back to its origin in the shower drain it could easily be prevented by putting a folded plastic bag over it and weighing it down with a heavier item.
Furthermore, number 14 is equipped with ancient paintings and a beautiful coffered ceiling. The beds are comfortable and the room provides an enourmous lot of space.
As I heard and eventually saw, the equipment of the other rooms is more modern.
We spent a fabulous week in the convent. Every single one of the nuns was outstandingly friendly, the breakfast coffee is excellent and the location perfect. Termini, Rome's major railway, metro and bus station, is a 10 minute walk away. Just across the street a cosy Irish Pub can be found and an excellent ice cream parlour (L'Orso Bianco) is just around the corner. And the view from the terrace is overwhelming, the Colosseum and St. Peter's could easily be spotted.
The only downside is the curfew at 11pm.
The early breakfast time (7am onwards, Sun 8pm onwards) on the other hand were quite handy, as we set out early and thus could make the most of the day.
I would definitely recommend this hotel with its lovely athmosphere, setup and people.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank romapasqua
Reviewed 22 January 2008

PROS:
Central location, 10 minute walk to termini, SMA grocery across Santa Maria Maggiore, nuns are very nice, especially Sister Andrea who prepared breakfast for us at 5:30 AM (we had to leave at 6:00 AM for an early flight).

CONS:
Room #14, where we stayed, smells bad (from the bathroom), shower is very slippery (I slipped & skinned my elbow, very thankful I did not break any part of my body), door is a challenge to lock & unlock, room facing the breakfast area.
BOTTOM LINE:

I would stay there again,BUT I would be VERY SPECIFIC I DO NOT WANT ROOM #14.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank rosepercy