“Value for Money - Good”

Ranked #977 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Value for Money - Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was there in Funny Palace for 2 days. Once entered a reception, I was bit disappointed with the ambience. Actually its laundry shop run by owner. We had to wait there until rooms are cleaned before check-in. But my impression has changed after seeing the actual room for stay. I had quiet nice stay overall. Staff is really great, given some of tips to roam in Rome. Tips to cover Colosseum in shortest time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prasanna_CB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Brno, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Got a great price and the photos looked good.
We got a free upgrade from a room with shared bathroom to another with a private bathroom, without having to pay anything extra!

The breakfast is included in the price in the café nearby, just ask for the slips of paper. (Café/cappuccino and a variety of croissants)
Also make sure to have a slip of paper for each person or at least written that it is for two people. The paper has the number "2" printed on it, but it is the name of the Café, not the number of breakfasts.

Room Tip: Check in in the laundry-internet place (Via Varese 33)
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

The lobby of the hostel was an internet cafe/laundromat. It seemed a little shady especially when they ask for all cash up front, but not to fear, the business is legit! We had a large group of 8 people, and the employees were really helpful with moving our bags up to our room and letting us check in early. Instead of having to share two bedrooms, they gave us a whole suite with 3 bedrooms in all. The free breakfast in the morning was also an added bonus! The morning market nearby also gave the area a very homey feel. The biggest pro was the distance from the train station, but the biggest con was having to take the metro to get everywhere! Be careful of the elevator, make sure to shut the door no matter what level you are on, or the elevator will not work. I also recommend a really tasty Chinese restaurant nearby, if you get tired of Italian food!

Room Tip: Higher floors in the building next to the "lobby" had nice, clean rooms!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

BEWARE! BEDBUGS!

We laughed out loud when we finally found the "office" to Funny Palace as it was in a shady looking laundry mat. I was willing to overlook this considering the 5star reviews I kept reading about. However the receptionist (if you could call him that) Johnny caught us off guard when he said they only accepted cash... although at the time I believe they advertised that they accepted credit card. I read later that many lower star'd Italian hotels/hostels did this to avoid paying taxes. I felt safer paying by cash anyways since the place seemed a bit illegitimate and didn't feel like handing over my credit card information to them; however, it ended up taking us over an hour to find a working ATM.

Just as we were leaving the office, we were told that they had overbooked our room and we would have to move to another smaller room after 2 of our 3 days of stay. They told me the room would be just across the hallway w/the same exact amenities but w/fewer beds. Feeling that we had no choice in the matter, we said we would comply. After seeing the first room though, we fell in love as it had been the nicest room we had stayed in on our wedding anniversary trip through Europe. It had a street view, modern bathroom, and a spacious bedroom; its only downfall was the 10in television. We did notice a large vertical furniture stand w/two fold-out beds; so this did seem to match up with what Johnny had told us.

Well after two wonderful nights, they moved our bags for us to this "other" room that was supposed to be identical and across the hall. Wouldn't you know it was up one floor and IN THE OWNER'S APARTMENT (TAGLIERI). The two guys that helped us move our bags said repeatedly that we had our own bathroom and that we were the only ones on the floor... as the old lady stood there and welcomed us in. I asked... "does she live here"? This isn't exactly the romantic, private room we had before." Again, they reassured me that no one else lived there. The two guys promptly left, and we spoke with the old woman who unfortunately could only speak broken English. She said she was the owner and lived there but that we had our bathroom... which was down the hall. And our street view... was now a view of the noisy interior and adjacent to all the kitchens, meaning it reaked of food & smoke.

So I went back to the office and complained. They said that we were put into the wrong room to begin with and that we were in the right room now. I mentioned that I had paid for a private bathroom, which the current accomodation didn't have. They again repeatedly said we were the only ones on that floor; so I mentioned the old lady and they dumbfounded me by saying "what lady?" I was starting to get agitated and mentioned we were staying in the owner's apartment. "Sorry" they told me; there was nothing they could do until the manager, Mabri, got back the next day because they already had someone in our old room. I knew they were lying to us and probably skimming profits off the old lady by overbooking the apartments we were originally in. This became more apparent when I ran into a half naked French women in the hallway near our new room; she was surprised to see me there and asked what I was doing there. Her and her husband were also told that they "were the only ones on the floor". To make matters worse, all night long I was getting bit by what I thought were mosquitos at first. Later on, I found the bites to be BED BUG BITES!

Luckily, our train didn't leave until 11am the next day and we were able to find the manager, Mabri. He accused me of being mistaken about the room arrangements and that he had actually set us up in a "free upgraded" room at first. I complained to him about all the strange bites, the lies, and the lack of privacy. First he said I just had mosquito bites w/o even looking at them and then he made me prove to him with documents of our reservation stating that we had a private bathroom, after which he quickly apologized and said he didn't know how he messed up our arrangements. After all the lies from him and his staff, I couldn't believe a word he said but I did ask for a refund since they literally ruined what was supposed to be a romantic stay in Rome. Thinking he'd give us back our 80-90 Euro... he only gave us 10 Euro for the price difference of a room w/o a bathroom.

BEWARE! Find another place to stay...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pkhenderson
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Location is very near the train station, so the neighborhood isn't the nicest to walk in at night (I stepped around more than one pile of vomit), but great for getting to an early morning train. The room was shabby, but it seemed like they tried their best to keep them clean.
To be honest, it was the vibe of the place that really turned me off - the employees were friendly enough on the surface, but the way the business is run was very sketchy.
Just one example is that they only take cash up front and do not provide receipts.
I'd pass on this one.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank LynnWex
Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Hard to find & may feel a bit misleading, you arrive & check in in at a laundry mat, but hostel is amazing! Laundry mat is also where you can access internet, they have set of desks & computers. Also there's wifi access in rooms. They offer breakfast coupons for coffee or juice & croissant (or pastry of equal value) at local restaurant down st. Also gave us a bottle of wine.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Rob who was most helpful the entire stay along w/others! He very concerned about our trip & plans. He pretty much mapped out our trip in a way in which we would be able to see everything in a timely manner while saving where we could w/Roma Pass etc.

Large Rooms, modern, nice & clean, w/our own bathroom, double bed (two twin beds pushed together), small fridge (unfortunately is was broken), small flat screen TV. No elevator, but not necessary. Need to bring your own soap and shampoo. They offer towels and bed linens are available. We left a note on door asking for no room service please in Italian and English, but they knocked on our door every morning regardless trying to clean it and the last day they they did come in while we were gone and they didn't clean anything or tidy up, they just took our pillows! Other then that everything was fine.

Great location near the terminal where you can access buses, trains, subways making it easy to get around. They only except cash on the spot, which came as a shock when we checked in late one night, I had not received a confirmation from hostel just the travel site hostels.com, which made me nervous about reservation, but we were able to access a cash machine that night.

Room Tip: Ask for your own bathroom. Double room means 1 bed w/two twins pushed together, this seemed confusin...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I really enjoyed coming here. I didn't pay much and felt like I got my money's worth. The staff helped us organize an easy itinerary to see all of Rome within two days and the main train station is less than a 5 minute walk from the hostel. The directions will lead you to the internet cafe and from there the staff at the internet cafe will check you in and take you to your room, which is around the corner. The internet cafe is also a laundry, so we actually were able to get our laundry done on the last day there and go sight seeing. The staff just made it easy for us. But keep in mind, Rome is hot during September (humid hot).

Room Tip: I tend to notice some of the better hostels our on the side of the train station where the street Vi...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends