“Love this really friendly place!”
Review of Funny Palace

Funny Palace
Ranked #918 of 3,620 Rome B&B and Inns
Canberra, Australia
“Love this really friendly place!”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This is the hostel I love the most during my 3 weeks backpacking trip in Italy.

I was there for five nights in total - four nights at the start of my trip in Italy, and one last night before I left Italy. What I love about this place?

- This hostel was the cosiest, and warmest. It makes a difference when it's winter!
- The room itself is really clean. I was in two different rooms for the two stays.
- The owner and his brother are really friendly people, giving me ideas what to do. They are always keen to advise even when I pop by on my third day not quite sure what I should look at next having done most of the stuffs I want to do.
- Breakfast was actually great! At least they didn't offer me a typical American breakfast!
- Location was great! Really near the Termini station, and really safe as well.

I would certainly be going back to this place the next time I'm back in Rome.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 12 March 2012

So the place is hard to find but once we got there we got greeted by the guy who ran it (American guy) he was SO much help. He sat us down and pointed out where everything was and where the must do's we're which was great!

The room was perfect a big studio room with a good bathroom. We had a private room.

For the breakfasts they give you vouchers for a cafe which is around the corner which had great food.

Over all an amazing experience :)

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Travellerms89
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was there in Funny Palace for 2 days. Once entered a reception, I was bit disappointed with the ambience. Actually its laundry shop run by owner. We had to wait there until rooms are cleaned before check-in. But my impression has changed after seeing the actual room for stay. I had quiet nice stay overall. Staff is really great, given some of tips to roam in Rome. Tips to cover Colosseum in shortest time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prasanna_CB
Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Got a great price and the photos looked good.
We got a free upgrade from a room with shared bathroom to another with a private bathroom, without having to pay anything extra!

The breakfast is included in the price in the café nearby, just ask for the slips of paper. (Café/cappuccino and a variety of croissants)
Also make sure to have a slip of paper for each person or at least written that it is for two people. The paper has the number "2" printed on it, but it is the name of the Café, not the number of breakfasts.

Room Tip: Check in in the laundry-internet place (Via Varese 33)
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The lobby of the hostel was an internet cafe/laundromat. It seemed a little shady especially when they ask for all cash up front, but not to fear, the business is legit! We had a large group of 8 people, and the employees were really helpful with moving our bags up to our room and letting us check in early. Instead of having to share two bedrooms, they gave us a whole suite with 3 bedrooms in all. The free breakfast in the morning was also an added bonus! The morning market nearby also gave the area a very homey feel. The biggest pro was the distance from the train station, but the biggest con was having to take the metro to get everywhere! Be careful of the elevator, make sure to shut the door no matter what level you are on, or the elevator will not work. I also recommend a really tasty Chinese restaurant nearby, if you get tired of Italian food!

Room Tip: Higher floors in the building next to the "lobby" had nice, clean rooms!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2011

BEWARE! BEDBUGS!

We laughed out loud when we finally found the "office" to Funny Palace as it was in a shady looking laundry mat. I was willing to overlook this considering the 5star reviews I kept reading about. However the receptionist (if you could call him that) Johnny caught us off guard when he said they only accepted cash... although at the time I believe they advertised that they accepted credit card. I read later that many lower star'd Italian hotels/hostels did this to avoid paying taxes. I felt safer paying by cash anyways since the place seemed a bit illegitimate and didn't feel like handing over my credit card information to them; however, it ended up taking us over an hour to find a working ATM.

Just as we were leaving the office, we were told that they had overbooked our room and we would have to move to another smaller room after 2 of our 3 days of stay. They told me the room would be just across the hallway w/the same exact amenities but w/fewer beds. Feeling that we had no choice in the matter, we said we would comply. After seeing the first room though, we fell in love as it had been the nicest room we had stayed in on our wedding anniversary trip through Europe. It had a street view, modern bathroom, and a spacious bedroom; its only downfall was the 10in television. We did notice a large vertical furniture stand w/two fold-out beds; so this did seem to match up with what Johnny had told us.

Well after two wonderful nights, they moved our bags for us to this "other" room that was supposed to be identical and across the hall. Wouldn't you know it was up one floor and IN THE OWNER'S APARTMENT (TAGLIERI). The two guys that helped us move our bags said repeatedly that we had our own bathroom and that we were the only ones on the floor... as the old lady stood there and welcomed us in. I asked... "does she live here"? This isn't exactly the romantic, private room we had before." Again, they reassured me that no one else lived there. The two guys promptly left, and we spoke with the old woman who unfortunately could only speak broken English. She said she was the owner and lived there but that we had our bathroom... which was down the hall. And our street view... was now a view of the noisy interior and adjacent to all the kitchens, meaning it reaked of food & smoke.

So I went back to the office and complained. They said that we were put into the wrong room to begin with and that we were in the right room now. I mentioned that I had paid for a private bathroom, which the current accomodation didn't have. They again repeatedly said we were the only ones on that floor; so I mentioned the old lady and they dumbfounded me by saying "what lady?" I was starting to get agitated and mentioned we were staying in the owner's apartment. "Sorry" they told me; there was nothing they could do until the manager, Mabri, got back the next day because they already had someone in our old room. I knew they were lying to us and probably skimming profits off the old lady by overbooking the apartments we were originally in. This became more apparent when I ran into a half naked French women in the hallway near our new room; she was surprised to see me there and asked what I was doing there. Her and her husband were also told that they "were the only ones on the floor". To make matters worse, all night long I was getting bit by what I thought were mosquitos at first. Later on, I found the bites to be BED BUG BITES!

Luckily, our train didn't leave until 11am the next day and we were able to find the manager, Mabri. He accused me of being mistaken about the room arrangements and that he had actually set us up in a "free upgraded" room at first. I complained to him about all the strange bites, the lies, and the lack of privacy. First he said I just had mosquito bites w/o even looking at them and then he made me prove to him with documents of our reservation stating that we had a private bathroom, after which he quickly apologized and said he didn't know how he messed up our arrangements. After all the lies from him and his staff, I couldn't believe a word he said but I did ask for a refund since they literally ruined what was supposed to be a romantic stay in Rome. Thinking he'd give us back our 80-90 Euro... he only gave us 10 Euro for the price difference of a room w/o a bathroom.

BEWARE! Find another place to stay...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pkhenderson
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Location is very near the train station, so the neighborhood isn't the nicest to walk in at night (I stepped around more than one pile of vomit), but great for getting to an early morning train. The room was shabby, but it seemed like they tried their best to keep them clean.
To be honest, it was the vibe of the place that really turned me off - the employees were friendly enough on the surface, but the way the business is run was very sketchy.
Just one example is that they only take cash up front and do not provide receipts.
I'd pass on this one.