“Water,water,everywhere and it will make you think.”
Review of Il Pagliaccio

Il Pagliaccio
Ranked #1,392 of 13,754 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$24 - US$200
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: Our culinary journey embraces every single person getting inside Il Pagliaccio, just like the parallels embrace the world, from west to east Join us in a journey through the kitchen and the dining room, through gastronomic culture and hospitality, through ingredients, techniques and sensations ranging from East to West, following parallel lines, symmetries, affinities. Chef Anthony Genovese welcomes you in PARALLELS, a journey originated from emotions, memories and identities.
Reviewed February 6, 2018

First of all, this a classy place, with all the trimmings . An attentive staff ,a nice layout , quiet and yet atmospheric. The food was a delight and my daughter (the chef ) was impressed. There were several tasting options from eight to ten courses or you could, as we did, chose ala carte. Between the amusee-bouche and the chefs special treats we had a fine time. My wife ordered the foie gras ,which she loved. I ordered pigeon as my main course ,not good , tough and overly flavored. The experience overcame the negatives.Order wisely and I am sure you will be in for a great night. THE WATER ,There was a special water menu,I'm sorry, but I thought this was a little too much. However it was nice water that we had, with a hint of mountain and an after taste of lowland farms.

1  Thank acalicocat

Reviewed January 25, 2018

We had the 8 course tasting menu, and there was much to like, but even the French Laundry doesn’t have a separate menu for water! two pages, divided into still and sparkling! and the feeling of pretentiousness that had required the gentleman to wear a coat and tie did not dissipate when the napkin had to be selected from a salver by a napkin waitperson armed with tongs. Oh yes, and the exercise was repeated with great fan fare when the presumably now hopelessly soiled dinner napkins were collected and a smaller napkin presented for the dessert courses. Some of the appetizer bites were truly amazing, the quail leg, superb, the many breads, fantastic but the waitstaff, and there were several, garbled the description of the course we were about to consume. They seemed collectively incapable of enunciating and articulating what we would be putting into our mouths. When asked to clarify, they would be slightly impatient with us “ignorant” Americans and solved the problem by raising their voices rather than slowing their cadence. It was almost as if it were a deliberate technique. If you can afford the pricey il Pagliaccio, I would not dissuade you. We had some REALLY good food and more than a few chuckles, but you can eat really well in Rome for a whole loss less.

1  Thank Marcie E
Reviewed January 18, 2018 via mobile

We booked dinner for my wife’s birthday albeit the evening after. Restaurant is closed on Mondays.

Having read the restaurant website we dressed appropriately (elegant smart) only to be sat near other diners dressed in jeans and white converse shoes. More tres casual than tres chic for a 2* restaurant.

The food however was excellent from start to finish. A delight of flavours presented in a very modern way. Foie Gras and scallops to start were excellent, primi of veal tortelli and rabbit ravioli, abundant in flavour.

Secondi piatti pigeon was the best I’ve eaten and the turbot was inventive and simply delicious.

We did however feel rushed & the service was surgically clinical, lacking passion. Too many obtrusive and obvious looks to see if we had finished our course rather than tactful more subtle approach.

Had the service been what one would expect of a 2* restaurant, this review would be a maximum score.

1  Thank Jim C
Reviewed December 28, 2017

What a wonderful experience. I managed to secure a last minute reservation here with my girlfriend and felt truly spoiled. I especially loved the sommelier's pairing to the 14 course tasting menu. I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews here. The place does have a slightly formal feel, but I loved every bite.

Reviewed December 26, 2017

The physical presence screams modern and so it is. Nonetheless, the decor is inviting as are the waitstaff that greet and serve you. The food has some very different aspects including liquid which is served to start the meal. The food is good but what you would expect from a one star Michelin restaurant.

Been to Il Pagliaccio? Share your experiences!