“Food Heaven”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Description: Glass Hostaria restaurant in Rome’s Trastevere quarter is an eye-full for lovers of superhot modern design. Set in one of Rome’s oldest, most atmospheric neighbourhoods, Glass Hostaria’s fabulous high-concept dining space with its soaring ceilings, open staircase, part-glass floor, sleek seating and stunning gold-filled niches contrasted with raw brick pillars and original beamed ceiling has won accolades and international attention. The Italian menu under the direction of Cristina Bowerman is an inventive balance of then and now, with dishes like starter of foie gras with caramelized bananas (yes, that’s right) and brioche, first course of risotto with oysters, crème fraîche and crunchy artichokes, second course of pork filet with quinoa, smoked tomatoes and orange sauce, and dessert of chocolate cake with rosemary ice cream. The tasting menus are good value and the wine list has over six hundred labels on offer. Hire of this venue would make a superb site for stylish launches or sophisticated parties. The service is excellent and, after dinner, Glass Hostaria turns into a wine bar, so you can linger on and on.
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Everything at this restaurant was truly perfect. From the wonderful service to the incredible food. Staff were so accommodating, approachable and friendly despite our prior reservations that this place may be a little too 'fancy' and perhaps snobby. We were pleasantly surprised that although the food and wine are of the highest class, the atmosphere is really very down to earth. Everything we ate there was beautifully presented and we agreed that it was, by far, the best meal that my partner and I have ever had.
Yes the prices are quite high but this is not somewhere i would go regularly. I was celebrating my 21st birthday when we went so the prices were fine for the occasion and, we thought, were fair for the service and food quality received.

1  Thank Vickie6
Write a ReviewReviews (1,197)

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We ate here twice in two months and took the full nine course tasting menu both times.
Atmosphere is modern and relaxed, service is capable and friendly, and relaxed as well. Chef Cristina Bowerman, who has worked in various parts of the world, enthousiastically recognizes returning customers. She is a wizard with taste combinations.

Every course is absolutely original work of culinary art. The second time already 5 of them had been changed. Sensational compositions of taste, served in a mimimalistic way on wonderful plates. For example the cured sea bass with sichuan pepper, edemame, green apple and horseradish granite brings tears to one's eyes, with a Quartz Sauvignon as the perfect wine with it. The dessert: yogurt semifreddo with verbena oil and sprout, fortunately continued from last time, is an equal explosion of taste.
Expansive and top notch wine list. Prepare for not having coffee, but great petit fours all the same.
We will return!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

This restaurant is the equal of many charging similar or higher prices in London. I enjoyed our visit so much and it was a soothing haven away from the frantic life of Rome.

The building is stylish as you would imagine and located in buzzing Trastevere, so perfect for a pre-dinner drink. We opted for the 65 Euro tasting menu and were thrilled with our choice. There was another, more expensive tasting menu but we preferred the options on the first one and often struggle to finish tasting menus.

Everything was elegant, stylish and relaxed, including the incredibly attentive service in impeccable English. Welcome drinks, bible of wine (I needed quite a lot of help with choice) and nibbles all provided. What I particularly liked about wine choice was that I was pointed in the direction of a cheaper bottle than I named my price range, rather than slightly more expensive. Not the usual experience.

As often happens with tasting menus, although the portions are vey dainty, I was stuffed by the end of the meal. I really liked the option to choose your own dessert at the end. There was nothing we ate that I didn't think was fantastic but I particularly enjoyed the sumac encrusted lamb. It is not what you might call traditional Italian as it references Asian and Middle Eastern cooking but this does not detract from the experience.

At the end, the chef came round, which was a lovely touch. I hope we conveyed to her just how much we enjoyed the experience. Especially the bill, which translated to about £134.00 when I got the credit card bill in the UK. In my opinion, that's pretty bargainous for Michelin dining. If I were ever in Rome again, I would definitely come back.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

If you are looking for good and original dishes in Trastevere this is the place for you.
The menu varies with the season with a great attention to the ingredients and to the preparations. The staff is attentive and professional, they can give you good suggestions for the wine (they have a good list of Italian wines) and for a final decision among the many attractive offers in the menu. Desserts are wonderful and the atmosphere delightful!.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

This was fantastic food.I'm used to trying Michelin starred places and I really appreciated the menu here. A real pleasure.

1  Thank bencomum