“Went three times in 2 weeks. Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Osteria del Pegno

Osteria del Pegno
Ranked #262 of 11,922 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
San Francisco, California
“Went three times in 2 weeks. Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Just came back from 2 weeks in Rome. Read Tripadvisor reviews and finally found it after a struggle with the maps. When we showed up without a reservation, we were told there wasn't room. So we made a reservation on the spot for the next night. Loved the gnocchi with chestnuts and mushrooms. Wow! Never got to the desserts since we were too full. For us, the best way to get there from Campo de Fiori was to walk about halfway up the Piazza Navona on the left hand side, then take a left down Tor Millina, where the Tre Scalini restaurant is. Keep walking a bit until you get to a little alley called Montevecchio and make a right. Keep going up, bearing left. If you get to Via de Corinari, you've gone too far.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank bethanygil

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Redding, California
“disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I ate here on the recommendation of friends who raved about it. I had gnocchi with porcinis and walnuts to start.The sauce was a good combo, but the gnocchi were not so good.... too good to be store bought, but not good enough to be fresh.It was obvious I had been served a reheated leftover. The same is true of my veal saltimbocca which was so hot i couldn't touch it for a few minutes-- unmistakable evidence of microwaving. The veal was overcooked to the point of destruction and the use of a microwave on the prosciutto made it dry and rubbery.It was equally obvious that the potatoes were reheats from the day before. Potatoes are cheap and easy to prepare so there is no excuse for being this lazy. I don't mind paying 38 euros for a lunch if it's good, but charging this for reheated leftovers was unacceptable.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank robertspano
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“that is a wonderful place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

trying this restaurant it's a unique experience that you should do it when you travel to Rome .my family and i were in Rome for 5 days i asked someone advising me for a good restaurant and fortunately he i think he guided us to this beautiful place . that is a very cozy and friendly place with a fantastic staff .i tried delicious plates especially carbonara and the deserts are so good .i recommend you to try it at least once and do not forget to reserve before in order to do not miss it.

1 Thank alice r
Vina del Mar, Chile
“Very good restaurant. I repeat: GOOD, but that's it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

For diferent reasons my family and I chose this restaurant from the TripAdvisor list as the "last lunch/goodbye" moment from our euorpean tour. It was a bit hard to find... It took us a while to get there, but the "neighborhood" was lovely... I could say one of the prettiest I've seen, so it was good to be a bit lost and enjoy the enviroment.
Anyways, we arrived and the restaurant itself was lovely... The decoration was really pretty and you could tell it was a small but very nice place to eat. The staff/waiters were very friendly and the atention was quite good too.
Now, I had pasta and Carbonara sauce. At first I thought it wasn't gonna be enough due to the size of the dish, but they knew what was just the right amount. The pasta was OK... it was actually a bit hard and the disappointing thing was that it was cold on the sides, but the sauce was DELICIOUS (we were told by the waiters that it was their specialty). Then, I had vanilla ice cream with a red fruits sauce and that was quite delicious too.
To drink, we ordered a red wine and it was fantastic.
When we asked for the bill, we were amazed by the price. We thought it was going to be expensive but it wasn't. The wine (which I have to say again: was REALLY good) cost around 4-5 euros, each dish no more than 12 euros and the dessert around 7 euros...
So, as a conclution it was a really nice choice, but still, nothing extordinary that made us say "wow... that was the best meal I've had in a long time"

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great food & very intimate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

A good all-round place to visit. Fab also to create your own dish with them...

1 Thank VicciQ