“Do not think about eating here”

Il Giardino della Galla
Ranked #12 of 99 Restaurants in Urbino
Price range: US$17 - US$75
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: “Se la vista si bea dello splendido panorama del Montefeltro, ad appagare il gusto ci pensa la cucina: pasta fatta in casa, carne alla brace, funghi porcini e tartufi, nonché l'immancabile pizza (cotta nel forno a legna).” - Gli ispettori della guida MICHELIN Il Ristorante à la carte, Il Giardino della Galla, propone piatti tipici della cucina marchigiana nel rispetto dell’antica tradizione. Prodotti genuini e di altissima qualità: pasta lavorata a mano, carni cotte alla brace, pane e pizza cotti nel forno a legna, selezione di vini D.O.C. e olio extravergine d’oliva.
Reviewed January 8, 2018

Do not think about eating here.

The food is very bad. The service is very bad.

They pulled a "bait and switch" on the wine.

We had spent the day, 5 January, driving from Florence to Ravenna to Urbino. We had spent hours exploring the wonders of Ravenna, and when we got to Urbino we were exhausted and starving.

We chose the Giardino della Galla because it was well recommended on TripAdvisor and it was the only restaurant in Urbino recommended by our 2012 Michelin Red Guide.

We ordered several "local specialties" for antipasti. Each was worse than the one before. The carpaccio was a stingy mess of bad-quality meat drowning in vinegar. There was some greasy fried bread and a warm cheese that had separated into oil and goo.

My wife had lamb chops that were simply too tough to eat, and my son and I had overcooked and boring pasta. Mine was supposedly with ragu of duck, which tasted nothing at all like duck.

What really got me was the bait and switch on the wine. The menu offered Tenuta Argentiera, Poggio ai Ginepri Bolgheri, a wine I know and find quite drinkable. When the waitress brought the wine, she did not show me the label. I made the mistake of not asking to see it when she poured me a bit to taste -- while standing on the opposite side of the table and holding the bottle so I could not see it. The one taste I had wasn't terrible, so I accepted it. Then I saw it was not what I had ordered. I asked the waitress to see the menu again, and I pointed out that the wine they served us wasn't the wine on the menu. She said she would ask whoever was in charge. She came back and assured me that the price of the wines was the same, so I shouldn't worry. I told her the price might be the same, but the wines were not. She shrugged her shoulders, and I got billed for the wine.

1  Thank Venerosi

Reviewed November 4, 2015 via mobile

Delicious italian food, beautifully presented and plentiful. Lovely ambience. Delightful, friendly owner and staff. Faultless!

Reviewed September 6, 2015 via mobile

On our holiday trip through Italy we visited the restaurant twice. Due to the good food and great service from our waiter Gil we enjoyed it al lot. Christa & Ronald from the Netherlands.

Reviewed September 6, 2015

We ate a pizza here on our last day in Urbino, but wished we went to this restaurant earlier to try some of their other food. Great restaurant for all different price ranges.

Reviewed July 11, 2015

An unexpected spot in Urbino annexed to the four star Hotel and Spa Mamiani will delight you with a stunning view of the Montefeltro hills and delicious homemade pastas and succulent main courses. Beatrice and Stefano’s personas transfer you beyond eating feeding both the stomach and the mind. See you next time!!