“Always great”

La Bottega di Franco
Reserve with
La Bottega di Franco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 2,089 Restaurants in Bologna
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navile
Reviewed May 8, 2017

I know this place since many years….although it’s been a long while since I had dinner here.

Coming back I was not surprised to find the same atmosphere and not only legendary Mr. Franco but also his sons ( Giacomo and Marco) and the legendary waiter Enrico.

Arriving to this place in the outskirts of Bologna you already get a warm feeling of the country house in the middle of the camps that attracts you by its lights. Those lights are different in winter and summer but have always the same power of making you think about special moments and some kind of Christmas feeling.

Big and comfortable parking, once you get in the initial impression of warmth gets stronger by the welcome they reserve you.

After deciding on the menu you are offered a small entrée which changes every week but is always original and tasty. The plates offer meat and fish and also typical dishes from Bologna, for a starter don’t miss the mortadella mousse.

We had fish ……starting with stuffed squid with potatoes and porcini mushrooms accompanied with lemon and rice milk sauce.

For first course we had torchio spaghetti pasta (made into a shape that appears similar to the base of a torch) with squid, shrimps, broccoli, lemon zest and bottarga (dense cured fish roe made from tuna, gray mullet or swordfish) and yellow lasagna with smoked salmon and nutmeg - coconut milk sauce. Both dishes were not only original but delicious!

All this accompanied by a wine I never had before, Sauvignon Blanc Primosic, great discovery!

You can’t miss the dessert in a place like this and the conclusion held up the first impressions : rice cake with crunchy biscuit and vanilla cream.

Congratulations to Franco for his long experience and passion, congratulations to his two sons : Giacomo chef who creates these great plates, Marco maître who maintains the magic atmosphere of this place and, last but not least, Enrico a waiter who faithfully serves and makes clients feel good since many many years. Bravi!

Reviewed May 3, 2017

Wonderful setting, beautiful building, great menu, terrific service...and all at sensible prices.
A really special place

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed April 20, 2017

I took my girlfriend here for her birthday meal. The website says telephone bookings only but not speaking Italian, I emailed them with some help from Google which was fine.

We got a taxi there as it is a little out the way but we weren't disappointed with the place. It had a nice warm feel to it and a great setting for a romantic meal.

Starters were good, pasta was ok but the venison was amazing.

What topped it off for me was that, the staff brought over a 'birthday cake' with sparklers which my girlfriend really appreciated. I had forgotten that I mentioned it to them in my initial email so thought this was such a nice gesture.

We only experienced dinner in the evening but I think it would be a totally different experience coming here for lunch / in the summer.

Reviewed March 23, 2017

Great service other than the language barrier getting things a bit different than planned. excellent food with a wide variety and looked and tasted different than expected, very artistic with fresh flavors and methods. 1 had steak, excellent, cooked perfectly and seasoned. Risotto was good. I had seafood appetizer (squid stuffed with potato may sound odd but it was wonderful and looked amazing). Pressed Spaghetti with seafood was tremendous - calamari, shrimp. Dessert was out of this world, cream brulee had chestnut. berry gelato excellent. white chocolate dome triple chocolate was great as well.

Reviewed March 20, 2017 via mobile

This is a great restaurant in a beautiful location. We visited again this year and just thought the food and service wasn't quite as high class and attentive as usual. That said this is probably a rare event and would not affect us thoroughly recommending this restaurant. I'm sure our next visit will be excellent