All reviews great location train station auberge sink portofino bedroom reception
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We were lucky to find this place as we went to Genoa in October during a Boat show. Close to the station, although thats why you can hear a trains passing by. Bathrooms on the corridor were clean.There is also a little room with fridge,microwave and kettle where you can have a breakfast. FYI hotel is on the 2nd floor, but there is a lift. Place to recommend!

Room Tip: Room number 7 is just next to the bathroom.We could hear everyone inside
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Easy walking distance from train station and only 10 minutes walk to historic center and port. Very well-signed and well-lit. Spacious, comfortable rooms. Friendly staff who went out of their way to answer our questions and make us feel at home. (The owner even sang happy birthday to me in Italian!) They warned us that the nearby trains might be noisy, but aside from the occasional low rumble we didn't hear anything at all. Only one bathroom and one shower, but there is a sink in the room. Book exchange at reception.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2011

It is safe and clean place, about 15 mins walk to the major sites, and the lady who runs the place is kind and helpful. Overall, it could be good value for what you pay, but I would (for the next time) pay a little bit more and stay in a better place.
My stay was not very pleasant. As a matter of fact, I intended to stay for 2 nights, and ended up staying only for one. My room was tiny, and very very dark. (The hotel is on the first floor opening up right to the street so you can't keep the shutters open. There is almost no natural light.)
The hotel is right by the train station, so I could hear the trains all night. So for my standards it was a little loud.
So it is not a hotel I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank dikeaopolis
Reviewed November 1, 2010

As a solo female, budget traveler through Italy, I consistently look for "gems" to stay. I found Albergo Argentina on Trip Advisor and read all the positive reviews about this hotel/hostel.

It can be challenging to expect good service at hostels sometimes, as it is budget; however the unbelievable service, added little touches and cleanliness of this place was top-notch.

For hostel-goers, you will understand having a private room with a double bed is like hitting the jackpot! The shared bathroom was immaculate and had a tub; the added features include, a TV in your room, comfortable beds, big pillows, lovely view of the garden and the special treatment from the hosts.

I decided to stay an extra night and they accommodated me, as well as giving me a map of the city and pointed out tourist spots, places to eat and internet hot-spots. If you can believe all that, the price is unreal - 30Euro/night!

So, needless to say, do not go anywhere else, stay at Albergo Argentina, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank lisajf28
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I loved this place as it's humble but very homey and cozy. I travelled alone so I chose a single room with shared bathroom, but it didn't feel uncomfortable at all as you are sharing a bathroom with maybe one or two more rooms. The facilities in the rooms were ok, there's a lift to get to the apartment, and actually the whole building is very interesting. It's also very close to the city center and 2 minute walk from train station Genova Brignole. Actually I have stayed there twice already, once on vacation in August 208 and then on business in October 2009. If I get to return to the lovely Genova I'd definately stay at Albergo Argentina again. Oh, the staff is also very friendly and kind. I definately recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business