“Carmen”

Teatro Carlo Felice
Ranked #42 of 324 things to do in Genoa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Teatro Carlo Felice Opera House was inaugurated on April 7th 1828 with the opera "Bianca e Fernando" by Vincenzo Bellini. The original project was made by Architect Carlo Barabino. Unfortunately, during world war 2nd an incendiary bomb destroyed the Theatre. On April 7th 1987, the foundation stone of the new theatre was laid. The new architectural project was created by Ignazio Gardella, Aldo Rossi and Angelo Sibilla. The artistic season 1991/1992 was the rebirth of the new theatre. Since then artistic seasons including operas, concerts and cultural meetings have been held.
Reviewed September 8, 2014

We went to see Carmen. Instead of setting it in a cigarette factory in Spain with bandits in the hills, it was set in a Cuban cigar factory with followers of Che Geuevara and Castro in the hills, with old posters and a Cadillac as props. The music was good and a couple of the singers were excellent.This matinee performance was for schools with left over tickets sold to the public. There were groups of children aged from about 9 to 17 and they loved it! What's more they were well behaved throughout the three-hour performance.

1  Thank bumsky

Reviewed February 28, 2014

If you are planning an Opera tour of Italy dont forget to see this "state of the arts" facility.
I went there for the Verdi's Otello in Januray 2014. Simply the best Opera performance I have seen in Italy in that period.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I happened to go into the theatre during our recent visit to Genoa to enquire about their operatic programme. There were no suitable performances for our dates, but the very helpful lady in the information office recommended we attend that evening’s free performance by the symphony orchestra, with guest conductor Maurizio Billi. I don’t know how often free concerts are given, but there was another free afternoon concert three days later. The patrons appeared to be mainly residents of Genoa who queued about an hour before start time. We had no difficulty getting excellent seats.
The interior appearance of the theatre is quite disappointing. It struck us as being pretty utilitarian. However, acoustically it was perfect, and the seating was comfortable.
The performance, lasting almost two hours, included relatively well known pieces by Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Bellini, Ponchielli, Rossini and Borodin – an excellent sampler even if you’re an unsophisticated concert-goer!
When in Genoa I strongly recommend that you check out the programme at Teatro Carlo Felice.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went to see and hear Verdi's La Traviata. Although I thought I was ordering the tickets well in advance, I was wrong and we had high seats. Even with the less than the best location, the performance was greatly enjoyed. Bravo.

2  Thank FrankColorado
See more reviews
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were able to see Turandot from the balcony (galleria) and it was a good balance between price and experience. I checked out all the seats in the main area of the galleria and except for the first 2 rows the sight lines were fine. Do not expect to see much from the balconetta seats running down both sides of the balcony. In my estimation these are only for listening. Also read AnnArborMHT for the best complete review of the theatre. Champagne in the reception is 10 Euros a glass. Since we were coming from out of town we booked on line but the last minute seats were available.

2  Thank bassman46