All reviews platinum member marriott family coop supermarket business traveler nice hotel city centre residential area cinque terre rental car hotel is located roof terrace santa margherita late at night couple of nights train station rooms are big star hotel
Reviewed August 7, 2016

Just spent there a couple of nights with the family. Biggest selling point: the outstanding reception staff that was very knowledgeable, provided recommendations and was quick. Breakfast was good, the gym is outdated, neither an indoor no an outdoor pool. Rooms were modern and depending on their location, you could hear noise from the big Corso passing by the hotel. Dinner menu limited, however, you have just a couple of km to walk/drive down to the sea and have excellent food there. Price for rooms was ok, had to insist about the availability of a lower one on the internet which I was told didn't exist. There is a public bus that can bring you into the center of Genova.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the top floor with some sea-view
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2016

I booked this hotel with points and could only book a double room. However on arrival we had to upgrade to double with extra sofa-bed since we were two adults and two children. 30 Euro extra for the bigger room was quite ok. But since we booked with points the breakfast was not included. As a Marriott member the breakfast was only 9 Euro each which also was ok. The breakfast had the standard stuff but was quite simple.
The room was good and looked quite modern and fresh except for the very small flat screen TV. No english speaking channels which surprised me since this is part of Marriott brand.
There is a small gym and a roof-terrace. The terrace had a view even though not a great one towards the sea. The view over mountain side was good however.
In the vicinity of the hotel there is not much to see. A supermarket (Coop) and some small shops on the 2nd level is all there is. A petrol station (Esso) is also nearby.
Worth mentioning is also the AC Hotel Genova offers parking under the hotel for 15 Euro per night.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank KTBergsten
Reviewed July 26, 2016

Comfortable room, helpful friendly staff. As our air condition was broken, we could immediately change the room. The hotel is a bit outside of the centre of Genova but easily reachable by bus or car. As it is located next to a road with huge traffic, it is not the nicest location and also not very quiet, but very convenient for all trips along the coast of Riviera di Levante as close to the motorways. Marriott standard. On a weekend of July 2016 the rates of 3 star hotels in the area were higher and the standard in Italy always insecure. Therefore at AC Genova at least one knows, what to expect. A Coop Shopping centre is next door which is ideal for fruit, snacks, water. Parking at hotel at 15 Euro / night available, but we could always find a parking in the neighbourhood. Standard breakfast.

Room Tip: If possible not to the road, because if you open the window it's noisy! On a higher level it's quieter (5+6).
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katalin M
Reviewed July 12, 2016

Ok everyone, I'm reviewing this based on what I needed the hotel for....a place to stay. I mean, I didn't select the hotel based on amenities(although, the amenities aren't terrible here), surrounding area attractions, or anything like that. I just needed a place to stay for my wife and I as a base location for going to Monaco for a day and then back towards Venice.
Yes, the restaurants near the hotel aren't great. So, that's a bummer. There's a decent pizza place across the street, a great(according to tripadvisor reviews) seafood place down the street and underneath the main street that goes by the Marriott, and some kind of karaoke bar and pub near the pizza place.
The breakfast here at the Marriott was very good. A lot of options on the buffet. The room(at least the one I was in) was very nice and everything worked properly. I had a free upgrade, so maybe that is the difference between all of these bad room reviews. Not sure.
The staff were very helpful. Not the best staff I encountered at other Marriotts on this same trip. But, we had to make a few phone calls to family we were trying to meet, and they made those calls on the front desk phone for us(we don't speak Italian, and we were trying to get in touch with distant family members who only spoke Italian). So, I thought they did a great job helping us out.
Yes, it's not really in Genoa. So, if you're wanting to see the main city center of Genoa, then it's a decent drive away. It's not a resort hotel or anything. There's not much to do around here. But, if you're going to use this hotel for just the basics like we did, then it's a great hotel with good prices. I think we were able to book a room for like $90.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jandelin311
Reviewed June 29, 2016

As soon as you walk into the hotel, which is quite a way out from Genova itself, there is a smell of drains. It permeated the elevators too.
The room was pretty good, on the 5th floor, and very quiet considering the hotel is on a very busy road. There is a kettle in the room but if you use the teabags they are not always replaced the day after.
The staff are wonderful and cannot do enough to help you.
Breakfast was kind of hit and miss. The cappuccino from the machine was horrendous it was thick and gloopy and obviously made from powdered milk. There were no little teapots for the tea, you had to make it directly in a cup, and there were no little jugs to put milk into either. Twice there were large groups of people and so the food ran out at breakfast and it took a while to be replaced. If you were in a hurry you weren't left with much choice. It was pretty hard on the wait staff who did their best to keep up with the demand. The fruit salad, when it was there, was excellent. The bread rolls were hard and the sliced cheese was square. Italy has amazing coffee and cheeses so that was kind of sad. They could do with improving the quality of some of the food that is offered. The small gym on the top floor was very nice with a great view of the sea. We had free wi-fi in our room but our colleagues on lower floors had to pay 5 euro per day.

Room Tip: Our room on the 5th floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank LizbetLondon
Direzione_AC_Ge, General Manager at AC Hotel Genova, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2016

Dear LIzbet,
Thank you for writing about AC Genova, your opinion is important for me and my staff.
We are happy to read you appreciated our staff service but we a re sorry for the smell, actually we have had a problem in our neighborhood which unfortunately caused bad smell in the hall.
I'm sorry you hadn't teabags replaced in the room, they normally do it, For breakfast we have machine exactly for people who prefer take a cup quickly but you can order your teapot or your cappuccino to the waiter.
Thank you again for your review I took note of everything and my team and I will do our best to improve our service,
at your diposal for any further need
Laura Gazzolo