“Fascinating and varied museum of the sea”

Galata Museo del Mare
Book In Advance
More Info
US$39.46*
and up
Genoa Aquarium, Tropical Garden, Panoramic Lift...
Ranked #18 of 325 things to do in Genoa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed August 2, 2018

A very detailed and absorbing museum, if you are interested in all things maritime; naval history and warfare, seafaring, Genoa and the sea, exploration, migration, even sea myths and monsters. Some of the earlier sections are not so well lit, and a few of the exhibits are not translated, but the detail and interactive sections make up for this. The sea myths and monsters was especially interesting and the accompanying text a very smart cultural studies approach. I would allow for a lit of time. The visit is 13 euros, which sounds a lot but I think it is worth it - you can visit a submarine for an extra 6 or so euros, but that ain't for me.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,797)
All reviews
in 3 reviews
"andrea doria"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

We visited the museum under my other half's insistence. As someone who is not particularly interested in boats I warn all others alike me that this is not for you. This is 3 hours (at a quick pace) of model boats, paintings of boats, information about boats and a couple of life size boats. Even the view on the top floor did not make it worth it. 3 stars as despite my thoroughly not enjoying it, my other half did. The U Boat at the end took us approximately 5 minutes to pass through (not sure how people are spending half hour in here it's an in out job) but that part I must say was genuinely interesting.

Reviewed July 16, 2018

We loved the museum, especially the interactive parts like the galea and the emigration "trip" It is classic and innovative at the same time

Reviewed July 13, 2018

Took our 7 and 9 year olds here in June and we all loved it. The immigrant exhibit on the 4th floor was fantastic, we learned so much and the kids were truly fascinated by learning about the people they got assigned to follow. The museum was fairly empty on a weekday afternoon on the third week of June, very pleasant to wander about.