“great location”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Reviewed 2 September 2011

very nice hotel, great view, service not really friendly, very difficult to park even at the hotel parking lot it is first come first serve, if you have a room on the sea side it is great, if on the back side on the main road very noisy.
Breakfast ok.

Room Tip: choose room on the sea side
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights end of July. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Continental. Stunning views, great lunches, enjoyed the breakfast on the terrace. Great coffees, croissants, etc. Does the hotel need to be updated-I would have to honestly say yes, at least in the room department. It looks like one from a bygone era-that being said-we were never in our room. The staff was wonderful. John at the front desk arranged anything we needed, including calls home. We thought the lifeguards on the terrace above the swimming grotto were excellent. Yes, it does cost to reserve your chaise lounge, but we got used to that. It was ours all day long. The wait staff and the gentleman that serves drinkis on the terrace in the evening were all charming, and really know their jobs. All the front desk staff were extremely helpful. We really had no complaints. The location is great-a short walk into town in the morning, and back when breakfast is served. I have read the reviews, and understand mostly the "needs renovation-updating" comments. I mainly found this to be in the rooms. The grounds are beautifully maintained, and I challenge anyone to find a more awesome view from which to eat, drink, sleep or read a book. All in all, we look forward to returning-due to the excellent service we received. I only wish I could remember everyone's name. Again, we are 3 American females in our 50's, very active, and wanted to enjoy every aspect of the area. We have no regrets. LInda

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Let me start out by saying that I've travelled a lot and have stayed in everything from $5 per night thatched huts in Goa to 5 star luxury hotels. You get what you pay for...
Me and 2 of my friends decided to stay at Hotel Continental recently for a long, 3-day weekend holiday. The triple room that we booked was a bit on the expensive side (330€ per night) but the amenities alone made the price seem worth it. I was also allowed to bring my small dog with me (for a small fee of course). We were sold!
When we arrived they put us up in a double room with a cot to serve as the third bed. The room itself was small and reminded me of a dorm room at university. The bathroom smelled of sewage. But we had a nice balcony. We thought we wouldn't be staying in the hotel much anyways so whatever. The hotel grounds are nice. The next morning we arrived for breakfast which was situation on a lovely terrace overlooking the ocean. The buffet was limited to bread, fruit, cereal, yogurt, and some sliced meats and cheeses. If we wanted eggs, we would need to pay for it extra which was disappointing. Overall, the included breakfast wasn't much to be desired.
After spending a long hot day in Portofino, we were very much looking forward to taking a dip in the hotel pool. We soon realized that the pool featured in the photos on the website belongs to the Grand Imperiale Hotel and that we could not use it. So we went down to the area along the ocean where the sun beds are where we were informed we would have to pay 15€ each to for use of a sun bed and towel (even as guests of the hotel). At this point, I became very frustrated with the hotel and felt like we had been completely misled.
On top of all of this, the hotel staff was rude and unhelpful (actually gave us incorrect information which caused us to miss the ferry to Cinque Terre - which is the very reason we chose to go to Santa Margherita for the weekend). They never cleaned our room and had to ask for someone to change our linens and bring clean towels on 2 separate occassions.
Overall, we were all very disappointed. I could not wait to get out of there! DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU WANT BAD SERVICE AND TO BE OVERCHARGED. I'd rather have staying in the thatched hut.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
10  Thank LBeebo
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I have nothing good to say about this hotel whatsoever.
Having stayed in this area before and previously commented when passing how nice this hotel looked from the outside we booked it for 4 nights and although expensive we felt we might be in for a treat.
How wrong could we be.
Their are three main areas that we found totally unacceptable.
1) The hotel is so tired, drab and in need of a make over. Our 216 euro a night room turned out to be a loft/cave room with a bathroom so small and out of date even christopher columbus would have had a moan. The shower head came up to my chest and if I banged my head once on the sloping roof I did it a hundred times. The TV was so small I was better of using my Ipad.
2) If 216 euros was not enough they wanted 14 euros a day to park the car and 36 euros a day to rent 2 sunbeds on their so called beach which turned out to be a rocky headland.
3) The staff were so unsympathetic when I brought these issues to their attention that I have nothing but contempt for them.
We have stayed in dozens of 4 star hotels around Italy and can easily say that this is the worst experience we have encountered. I have stayed in better 2 star hotels than this one.
The one plus........nice views.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank fenceman55
Reviewed 22 July 2011

The Hotel Continental is in desperate need of updating I'm afraid. Although the views are spectacular - be sure to ask for a sea view because the other side looks at another hotel - and the ocean pure perfection, the Hotel is another thing altogether. This hotel is much like the lodge in Dirty Dancing; in its hey day, it was perfect, but years of acceptance and refusal to change show. The rooms have wood paneling, coat hooks, a bookshelf (with no books or anything else), and the pillows as hard as concrete. And then there is the "beach": many of the chaise lounges are reserved well before you arrive and never occupied for a good 4 hours. My theory: these chaise lounges are for the owners, their family, and their friends. Prove me wrong. All in all, it's unfortunately not worth the money to stay here. There are other options in S.MG.L.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the ocean; it's the only saving grace to this overpriced 4-star ho...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed here for five nights after visiting Milan. When we arrived we were greeted by an efficient parking manager who took the car (I found driving in Italy a touch stressful so being able to abandon the car at the first opportunity was a real boon) and we were efficiently checked in by the friendly staff. We got the impression of good old fashioned service. When we arrived at the room we thought it a bit dark and small. When the porter opened the shutters we almost lost our breath at the view over the beautifully kept gardens and the sea bathing area below and out over the stunning coastline with the town to the left. The terrace to our room contained two chairs and two sun loungers and its privacy from the next rooms was established by well trimmed low privet hedges. It was a short stroll (a few hundred metres) to the town and we didn't need the car for the whole duration of our stay. We took a taxi the three miles to Portofino one day, we were very surprised that the pre tip cost was 40 euros. The ferries between towns are pretty comfortable and a lot cheaper. We tended to find better value and better food in the streets away from the front, though we always had our pre dinner drinks on the edge of the harbour at the Tortuga bar which seemed to be pretty busy (if you go early evening they provide you with an abundance of snacky bits with your drink). The hotel was very clean (the beds were a touch hard for us but otherwise comfortable) our bathroom was fairly modern, a little on the small side but adequate, it was quiet with efficient air conditioning. The sun loungers by the seawater swimming area seemed expensive at 18 euros each a day but that seemed a pretty fair price when compared to other places and to relax in such a stunning setting felt worth every penny. In short we loved this place and will return and this is the hotel we'll stay at when we do.

Room Tip: First floor sea view rooms have terraces, second floor have small balcomy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We spent two nights here with our daughters near the end of a two week tour of Italy. My husband is a stickler for detail and had been very specific in requesting 2 rooms with good views. We get there and where do they try to stick us? In two first floor "seaview" rooms that looked out upon noisy construction and which had the parking deck directly above. My husband said no way, so we got a room literally in the attic with a 50s bathroom but a spectacular view, and our daughters ended up in a room overlooking the front entry but with a modern bathroom. The hotel appears to have the best location on the waterfront and the grounds are lovely so I think they coast on that. If Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton got their hands on this property it could be truly amazing, but then we probably couldn't afford it. We had room 307 and the view from the balcony was gorgeous.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Imperiale Palace Hotel
#7 of 20 in Santa Margherita Ligure
1.2 km away
Excelsior Palace Hotel

Been to Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!