New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Villa Flori

Hotel Villa Flori
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Como
Westport CT
“Treated Like An Unwanted Houseguest”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Yes, they renovated but they failed to change their dismissive, disdainful attitude. Just came back from three nights
in their 398 E/night junior suite which had no robes, slippers, turndown service, and when you called the front desk you got attitude. 25 E/per day for parking, 8 E per day/wifi, and the most pretentious restaurant staff ever. Interestingly, the entire hotel staff seemed to be quite unified in this "inhospitality."

This stay was at the end of a three-week tour of Italy. We stayed at B and B's, a Relais hotel and an airport hotel. Villa Flori was the only one that made us feel unwelcomed and glad to leave.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Regal328

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

My family and I stayed at Villa Flori during a 2 and a half week vacation in Italy for 4 nights in September. All of the complaints listed in other reviews are exactly right. I have never been treated so poorly at what is supposed to be a "luxurious" hotel in my life. First off, when we arrived, we were told absolutely nothing about the hotel, it's facilities or anything for that matter. Throughout out stay it was as if we were being rude and ultra demanding. I say this because every request we made was met with attitude and bewilderment by the hotel staff. We called down one night for a corkscrew to open some wine. We were told that it would be up in 2 minutes by the staff. 2 hours later and no corkscrew. I called again and was told that it wasn't possible. So I then walked to the bar and borrowed the bartenders corkscrew, took it to my room and took it back to the bar. Not a huge deal, but a little irritating. We had dinner at the hotels restaurant one night. It was way overpriced and the food was not very good. That try so hard to make the restaurant so "high-end", but fail so miserably! Service was terrible and the head waiter was yelling a a busboy right in front of us for little mistakes. I felt terrible for him and it was very awkward. Overall, we just never felt welcome at this hotel. It has a very cold and detached feeling. I would never stay here again, even if it was free if charge. They need to get their act together and fix whatever is going in there because it truly is a beautiful property that is just broken.

3 Thank imacubsfan
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in September. The property was very well taken care of, the
remodel was done very tastefully and brought the rooms and facilities very much up to date.
Our room was modern, and in excellent condition with an exceptional view of Lake Como.
Two negatives:
1. The location, while on the lake required an automobile and parking was 25/e day
2. In addition to paying for the room, they charge 8/e an hour for wi-fi!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andiamo24
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

This is the first time I have written a review on Trip Advisor. I use the website as a rough guide on what a hotel will be like. I've found that more often than not that most reviews are accurate, and do realise that some people can be very picky, which I like to think I am not.

Let me start by saying this was hands down the WORST service I have ever encountered in a hotel after many years off travelling.

Firstly upon arrival was given no information on the hotel or things to do around the Lake, which didn't bother me to much. On our second night after coming home after a great day exploring the lake, I asked a different lady at the front desk (even more unhelpful than the first) if they had room service. To which I was greated with a bewildered look followed by a no. No help to what other alternatives as to anything nearby. I then asked if I could get a corckscrew for a bottle wine I had bought in the town. I was asked to "go and ask the barman".

On the final day at checkout, I was greeted by a third ever unhelpful lady. Not even asked how my stay was, just for my credit card. I said goodbye after payment, to which she could not have even been bothered to reply to.

Was the room nice. Yes. Was it worth €500 for two nights. No. The staff here tried and succeeded in making me feel as unwelcome and unwanted as possible.

7 Thank Claymation77
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

This hotel really is in a way, tragic. Located on a beautiful spot overseeing lake como, Don't let it's location fool you. From the average rooms to the worst service I've encountered, this hotel is a fools paradise.

Upon checkin, the lady working behind the desk was slow and rude. If your not speaking italian expect attitude. No room service cause the restaurant closes early. So I tried to improvise a dinner. Upon asking for a candle ( we booked the best room with balcony after all) for a quick romantic dinner, their faces covered in shock that I would dare such a request. On top, it just rained and they left the Patio covers on the furniture so we couldn't even sit down. Next, bottle of wine was a no go as well. We got referred to the room bar.

To sum it up: this is a tourist hideout and not some 4 star hotel. Staff is rude and rooms are average. If your looking for a romantic getaway at como try villa d'este instead. If u only care about the view, then sure go for it. Otherwise, it's a bust....

5 Thank Saschd
Hope Island, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed here because we were recommended by my travel agent because of CIT The price was great . The dinner at night was so special and the room was " wow" It is so close to Villa D'Est you can walk up the road and have Cappacino at one of the best hotels in Europe. From the room at Villa Flori you can see up close Lake Como with the water fountain beautiful Villas and nearby town of Como. A short trip up to Bellagio by boat is a must. The narrow winding road behind the hotel is a pleasant reminder of how Italian cars / and drivers live their lifestyle travelling around the Italian Lakes district. without a care in the world. While all rooms have a view of the Lake ask for a balcony but then you may like to spend time at nearby Lugano or shop for some silk scarves/ties.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hardiman_11
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Location, location, location. If you thinking of booking here you need to be aware of something other than the fabulous lakeside location. This is not in Como itself but a bus/car/ferry ride away. The parking charge is 25 EUR per day and the car park is accessible by non-patrons, despite being under cover and close to the hotel.
This once grand villa hotel has been refurbished in an interesting way. Outside it is cream and grey and from the water it looks grey and drab. Even worse if it is raining, like the day when we left.
The reception staff were unfriendly and there was no information about local sights or transport arrangements (eg. bus/ferry). One is expected to have one's own transport or to hire a taxi boat. If you want to explore you need to be prepared or go to tourist information in the town.
The hotel has one restaurant, Raymondi which is snooty, unwelcoming and expensive. We are used to high standard restaurants but were not overly impressed. The soup in particular was very nice. There is no room service and my partner who was fasting during the daytime (in Ramadan) was unable to get even a cup of tea after midnight. There is a minibar in each room. There are no tea/coffee making facilities.
The first room we were assigned was tiny so we asked for a change. The only alternative given we moved to (221) was still very small but a little bigger than the original one - but it was facing the road. Strangely there were no proper drapes at one window and the light came in through the slitted old wooden shutters. There were only 3 hangers in the wardrobe. The bathroom was very nice and the room floor deserves a special mention as it was antique wood parquet. There was surprising little noise of traffic (due to double glazing plus old window outside that and said shutters outside of that). But it was not the lake view we really wanted. The air conditioning did not work at all which we did not find out until late at night. So we sweated the night out and were glad to move rooms the next day (which had been promised).
The new room (212) was in the newer part of the hotel but the same look and feel (but this time a carpeted floor). The air conditioning was on full blast and there was also a balcony overlooking the lovely lake. There are electrically operated metal roller shutters over the window. The bathroom was much smaller (no bath, only a shower). This was more like what I had expected. However, in the middle of the night it became apparent that the air conditioning was not under our control. It reset itself to "fridge" repeatedly - at intervals of anything between 10 and 30 minutes. I put it off again - and it came back on again; I changed the temperature; I adjusted the fan. Nothing would make it work correctly for long. We tried to disable it by removing our key card, but this brought the flat-screen TV (no English channels found) on like a huge lamp setting the room aglow, So a second terrible night's sleep ensued. We did not wish to be disturbed by calling for maintenance but the air conditioning issues really ruined the stay at the hotel so far as I was concerned. I feel certain the hotel was either aware of the problem as it is mentioned in previous reviews. I had hoped that having been open a few months it should be working perfectly. I would not have wanted to hang around for someone to fix it if i had complained - this problem should simply not have been there in the first place in my opinion. I might have complained if I had found out at a convenient time, but I was there on holiday not to sit around waiting for maintenance staff....
The balcony area was not very clean. And the room had cobwebs in some corners.
The check-out procedure was swift and as unfriendly as the check-in.
For the price and the market this hotel is targeting this hotel needs to improve. I would not stay here again if I was visiting the area.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room