“BEST views of Lake Maggiore from large outdoor terrace”
Review of Bar Il Molo

Bar Il Molo
Ranked #13 of 33 Restaurants in Varenna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2017

I chose this restaurant for the VIEW of the lake, since it seemed to have the best view of all the nearby restaurants.

But, the excellence of the food surprised me. The HUGE plate of bruschetta was excellent and tasty. The strawberry gelato with cookie was perfect.

Our friendly server spoke English well, and the prices were lower than I would have expected in a lake-front restaurant.

We visited on a weekday, since we heard the weekends are very crowded.

This restaurant is a reasonably short walk to the ferry dock. In October, I recommend the speedboat; it was wonderful, but I could envision it being too hot/stuffy in the summer.

Our visit to Via Carlotta was disappointing, having visited Palazzo Borromeo on Isola Bella a few days ago. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped Via Carlotta and visited Bellagio instead.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed October 14, 2017

The best way to enjoy your stay in Varenna is to have a glass of prosecco with a lakeside view of the harbor. This restaurant delivers that with fresh food and good prices to match! We had two appetizers, a bottle of local prosecco, two main course meals and a shared dessert for 78 euros. In the United States this meal would be easily over $100. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive despite every table being taken. The food was very good and very fresh. I ordered risotto with parmesan for my main course and I'm going to try making it at home - it was that delicious! Thank you for the memories!

1  Thank Heidi W
Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

Went here for lunch. Had the artichoke risotto and the lasagne. Both were great. Used the complementary bread to soak up the sauces from both dishes. Portions good sized for the price. View is beautiful and away from the crowds. Service very friendly. Food came out promptly and hot. Very pleased overall. Total bill with a beer and glass of wine was 30 euros including a tip. Highly recommend.

Reviewed October 11, 2017 via mobile

We loved this place!! Perfect for morning coffee, lunch, afternoon drinks and gelato, beautiful tasty dinner (spaghetti carbonara was sensational) and we even popped in for after dinner drinks too! Service is friendly and efficient. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed October 5, 2017 via mobile

With amazing views of Lake Como from your table, this is the perfect spot to start your day. We had an excellent breakfast of bacon and eggs, croissants, fresh squeezed orange juice, great coffee, and friendly, helpful service by Michaela.