“Great Place in Varenna”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2017

We recently stayed in Varenna for a week and visited Bar Il Molo almost daily. The food is very good and reasonably priced. It's a wonderful place to be in the evening at sunset for a drink and to take in the wonderful view (the seating is lakeside). We were there in October and they even provide blankets for the chili nights. The staff is extremely friendly and the service is good. It was our favorite place to eat in Varenna.

1  Thank Roxanne F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,232)

Reviewed October 26, 2017

We stopped in for dinner on a cool October evening, as the restaurant sits right on the edge of Lake Como, providing a stunning view. All tables are outside so you need to dress warmly in fall. The menu had several pages of pizzas so we had pasta and margharita pizza.

While the pasta was great, the pizza was fantastic. Thin crust with some carbonization on the bottom, it was crisp and delicious. The tomato sauce was rich but not too thick and with the cheese ijust slightly charred in a few spots, it made for a wonderful meal.

Service was good, English was spoken sufficiently for us to converse.

We would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for great pizza and pasta with a view.

Reviewed October 22, 2017

I chose this restaurant for the VIEW of the lake, since it seemed to have the best view of all the nearby restaurants.

But, the excellence of the food surprised me. The HUGE plate of bruschetta was excellent and tasty. The strawberry gelato with cookie was perfect.

Our friendly server spoke English well, and the prices were lower than I would have expected in a lake-front restaurant.

We visited on a weekday, since we heard the weekends are very crowded.

This restaurant is a reasonably short walk to the ferry dock. In October, I recommend the speedboat; it was wonderful, but I could envision it being too hot/stuffy in the summer.

Our visit to Via Carlotta was disappointing, having visited Palazzo Borromeo on Isola Bella a few days ago. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped Via Carlotta and visited Bellagio instead.

Reviewed October 14, 2017

The best way to enjoy your stay in Varenna is to have a glass of prosecco with a lakeside view of the harbor. This restaurant delivers that with fresh food and good prices to match! We had two appetizers, a bottle of local prosecco, two main course meals and a shared dessert for 78 euros. In the United States this meal would be easily over $100. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive despite every table being taken. The food was very good and very fresh. I ordered risotto with parmesan for my main course and I'm going to try making it at home - it was that delicious! Thank you for the memories!

1  Thank Heidi W
Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

Went here for lunch. Had the artichoke risotto and the lasagne. Both were great. Used the complementary bread to soak up the sauces from both dishes. Portions good sized for the price. View is beautiful and away from the crowds. Service very friendly. Food came out promptly and hot. Very pleased overall. Total bill with a beer and glass of wine was 30 euros including a tip. Highly recommend.