All reviews narrow streets maria callas reception desk old town every morning swimming pool cheese aquaria balcony comfort sermione jetty lake peninsula verona
Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

Unpleasant

Avoid this hotel or, book at your own peril! The owner of this hotel and his wife are always 'on parade' and are there to ensure you stick to their 'rules'. My girlfriend and I arrived for a five night stay and we greeted by the owner as we arrived in our hire car, he barked orders at us and showed us to the reception area and then left us to the more charming girl receptionist, he is lucky to have her she is pleasant and charming in contrast to the owner who is arrogant, and rude. On route to reception we had stepped over a long chain bolted onto the floor by the main door, it was huge and I wondered what animal would be attached to it and why it was it there?
The young girl receptionist showed us to our room (number 70) and we stood in polite silence as we looked around the bedroom it was advertised as a superior double with a lake view, but it had a badly worn brown headboard with an interesting large tear in it. I wondered how it had occurred and momentarily it took my mind away from this rather chintzy old room which reminded me of my old aunties bedroom which although quaint was desperately in need of decoration.There was one wardrobe with five wire or plastic hangers, but no cabinets to place any other items of clothing. The girl left us quickly and my girlfriends face said it all. At worst we must ask for a different room, at best try to cancel our reservation entirely. We had booked through booking.com and had paid in full and in advance, so I feared the worst. On our way back to reception we walked through more of aunties old things, a tailors polystyrene dummy, weird scarves hanging on chairs, cheap comfy old chairs with throws dotted around. As we turned the corner to reception finally 'there it was' the owner of the chain was now spread out in front of us, a huge mountain dog, it was in a bad mood and then I spotted the sign ' do not touch the dog' he is not friendly! Great. Such notes make you slightly concerned and what with the disappointing bedroom we were now wondering what to do next. The girl offered us another bedroom and we were showed the adjacent room number 72, this was identical to room 70, but thankfully had been decorated in bright yellow in more recent years and we rather dissapointingly accepted and decided to see how things went over the next couple of days, whilst we looked for an alternative property. We were to realise the full potential of our having booked this hotel when, the next morning I was confronted by the owners wife who chastised me for pouring myself a glass of water, five minutes after breakfast had finished and then she loudly stated that I must now pay one Euro - I paid her readily in an act of rather timid defiance and I was now convinced that the director of this satirical farce 'faulty towers Italian style' would appear to congratulate both myself and my girlfriend and to say that we were now free to enjoy our holiday at the tv companies expense? Sadly, no such Director jumped out from behind one of Aunties sofas and we spent the day on the look out for a different hotel. We managed to escape the following morning and headed for Lake Garda and another hotel - fortunately for us at the time of our departure, the owner, the wife and the dog had each decided to be momentarily elsewhere - we were relieved for small mercies

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christopher B
Reviewed September 3, 2017

This is certainly a hotel with a quirky taste! We had a problem with first room and we were moved the next day but this room really shouldn't have been booked out in this state! The second room was nice ( room 74) . The breakfast was very nice , didn't have evening meal there !

Room Tip: Second floor with sea view
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nellie015
Reviewed August 15, 2017

Good Lord, what a terrible place! Advertised as "pet friendly," the hotel is occupied by a St. Bernard that hates all other dogs, as the owner told us when we arrived with our miniature poodle. We had to go around to another entrance - and when we came down from our room each day or returned ,we were ordered to send a scouting party to see where the St. Bernard was and whether we could pass. The owner would stand over the St. Bernard, repeating "Ferme, ferme," as we hurried past. Not relaxing!
That attitude - this place is ours and you are merely pests - was the overweening feeling at this kitschy, preciously decorated hotel - lots of knitting, kitties and sentimental gee-gaws - on the unlovely side of Sirmione smelling of the nearby sulphur baths. The lady of the establishment, it turned out, keeps a chair at the front of the hotel's pier that is untouchable throughout the day. We were admonished! The hotel provides beach towels - with a deposit of 30 euros each - that can't be exchanged or washed for 5 days. We were ordered not to let the dog touch the towels.
The non-family staff seemed terrified, and kept the room very clean. Breakfast middling. Pool tiny, adjacent to a garage. Basically, everything here sucks.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2017

We spent a week here in late June '17. The hotel is at the far side of the Sirmione peninsula meaning you have to drive through the narrow streets to get there. The entrance across the bridge is only open during certain times but the man at the gate speaks NO English and refused to give me a card detailing the opening times. Strange, anyway, we found our way and the receptionist was lovely and spoke perfect English. Our friends rooms was a Comfort Double and it overlooked the treetops to the west side of the lake. It was ample for them, containing fridge, air con, TV etc. We had booked the only other room available at the time which was a suite. It was massive. I could fit my house inside it. It had obviously been newly decorated in a 'dark wood - yellow walls - opaque glass fittings' way and was lovely to have so much space. The air con in our room wasn't sufficient to cool the room tho. We couldn't open the patio doors onto the balcony as the heat was so fierce. The communal areas downstairs are like walking into your great aunt's house - which is fine if that's what you like - lace & satin are everywhere, glass boxes of artistic creations, odd drawings on the wall, sofas that seem to seat no-one other than ghosts as I did not see anyone use them other than the owner. Breakfast choice is vast - fruit, yogurt, meat and cheeses, pastries and juices. Here again the staff do not speak English much and in typical Italian fashion look like someone has just insulted them so you are loath to ask them for anything.
The major drawback for me was the great furry mass of St Bernard dog that lay in the reception area all day and night. Obviously s/he is the owner's dog and is much-loved, but there are signs everywhere to Not Touch The Dog - he is NOT friendly. (I own a business where I am able to take my dogs to work and if they were as unfriendly as this, they wouldn't come to work with me) In order to pass the reception area to get to your room you must step over either the dog or the dogs metal chain. Not great for business.
The hotel has a great pool area and the pool bar was just opening while we were staying. The jetty the hotel talks of on their website involves a walk over a dog toilet area on the beach so not recommended. The peninsula itself has a vast choice of eatieries, ice creameries, bars and posh restaurants. We found those around the square where the boat departs to be some of the best.
I would certainly go back but not to Hotel Serenella. The hotel and staff (apart from the night porter) are just too out of kilter with my idea of a relaxing hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west over the lake are lovely
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tiddlypoo
Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights here as part of week long break in Italy,we had room 74 which had beautiful views of the lake,staff were very helpful and friendly.
Room and hotel were kept very clean and breakfast was very good with lots of choice.
The hotel is different from the normal as in decor and rooms etc but that is a good thing as not just square concrete block with all rooms the same,stay relax and enjoy.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple