“Super holiday - excellent food”
Review of Hotel Simplon

Hotel Simplon
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Baveno
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Super holiday - excellent food”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My wife and I have recently returned from a 10-night stay in the Simplon, which helped provide us with a really relaxing holiday. We relied on Tripadvisor reviews when choosing our holiday hotel and were not disappointed in any way. It was a pleasure to take breakfast and evening meals at the hotel, the food being of excellent quality throughout our stay. Although we stayed in peak holiday season, we were able to take full advantage of the swimming pool, as there were always times when either we were the only swimmers using it, or only a few others were in the pool. All of the favourable reviews proved accurate, as far as we were concerned.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

After a nightmare first day we arrived late at night to getter worst room in the hotel right on busy main road. This was issue due to booking company though and the following day the staff could not have done more to help us. Room changed first thing in the morning - staff bent over backwards. Lovely swimming pool, immaculate grounds, lobby, restaurant and rooms. A great breakfast spread but bar is best expensive. Cannot recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nick A
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This was my second trip, and it was just as good as before. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is excellent. The corridor leading to The Grand Hotel Dino is elegant to walk along and gives you the advantage of sharing the amenities of anotherwonderful hotel. The Simplon is quieter to dine in and very relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor facing the pool and not the road are the best. Great views from 3rd floor of...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shirley E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was my second visit to the Hotel Simplon on Lake Maggiore. I first came two years ago and I was delighted to find that the hotel was just as perfect on my second visit. Where do I start? All of the staff are wonderful - the receptionists, the waiters and waitresses, the handyman, everyone! They all give exceptional service, friendliness and professionalism. I've never known better service in any other hotel.

The food is incredible. I've never had better food in a hotel. I stayed half board and enjoyed every single meal. The breakfasts were lovely with pastries, cakes, fruits, cereals, cooked food and cold meats and hams. Faultless. The dinners are out of this world. The starter buffet changes every day and each time the spread and selection of food is delicious and fresh. The pasta course is freshly cooked to order with several different choices each day. The meat/fish course is again freshly cooked to order with different choices every day. The only problem is deciding which delicious option to choose. The cheese course is lovely with a selection of local and delicious cheeses. The dessert buffet changes every day too and offers wonderful and beautifully presented options. Every day we looked forward to the delicious menu on offer. A real highlight of the trip.

The hotel itself is very well kept. The gardens are lovely and the swimming pool is just delightful. It's a salt water pool too so you don't feel drenched in chlorine or chemicals after a swim. The rooms are lovely and have different artwork in each one. My partner and I had a small balcony with a bit of a view of the lake - which we hadn't expected or paid for, so that was a real bonus. My parents paid for a lake view ands it was lovely. The only thing I'd say is that the 3rd and 4th floors would have even better views as the second floor view was just a touch obscured by the restaurant roof. Not a problem though. The view was still spectacular.

The location of the hotel is good. It's a few minutes walk into the centre of the sweet town of Baveno. You can also walk through the Dino Hotel art gallery which is a bit of fun. My father has mobility issues and found the walk into Baveno a little difficult as the pavement is a little uneven. Although he said that he wouldn't have changed hotels for the world.

The town of Baveno has a night market every Tuesday which is worth a visit. The ferry service to the islands is also excellent. You can also get buses to Stresa which are very good. We tried to get a bus to Lake Orta but the small bus was full so we couldn't go. The next bus was a few hours off, so we sadly missed the trip. I'd recommend going there on an organised trip instead. Also, go to Milam for the day either on an organised trip or on the train. Well worth a visit - especially for La Scala and the rooftop walk on the Cathedral.

I hope to return to the Hotel Simplon again one day. Very happy memories of both visits. This hotel is really perfection.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor - third or fourth - to get a better view of the lake.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank KateLondon_9
Reading
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My partner and I just spent 2 nights at this lovely hotel. It was her birthday and the hotel gave us an upgrade to a lake view room which we really appreciated. It was on the 3rd floor, 344 and had a nice balcony and also looked out over the grounds and pool area which are also lovely.
The room wasn't a bad size and was nicely furnished and decorated in a traditional style. The bed was firm but we slept ok. No bath, but a decent shower.

We stayed half board and really enjoyed the food. The dining room is very nice with big windows overlooking the gardens to the rear. The service was excellent. We had a problem with a fuse blowing in the room, and this was sorted out immediately All the staff we found to be friendly and helpful. The hotel is also linked to a sister hotel through a long tunnel and you could use the facilities here as well.

The hotel is a fairly short walk to the lakeside where you can catch ferries. We visited the Borromean islands from here and they are beautiful and well worth a visit.

I would certainly recommend this hotel and would stay here again if we return to Baveno.

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank larnerdarren
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Unbelievable service from the start. The receptionists helped us every day in one way or another, sometimes going to great lengths to assist us. The Restaurant staff became part of the family after a couple of days and couldn't do enough for us. The food was excellent, both the buffet and the main courses with an amazing selection to choose from. The evening meals became the highlight of every day. The rooms were elegant, clean and comfortable. The grounds were very pleasant with a great pool which was never too busy and kept immaculately clean by the wonderful ground staff. The only slight downside was that the hotel isn't on the lakeside so the aspect from our balcony room wasn't as good as we were expecting, but this didn't turn out to be important.

Room Tip: For a better view of the lake, go for a balcony room on the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
farnborough
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have been travelling to Italy since the mid-1960s, and if there is an hotel that serves better food than the Simplon, I haven't been there. Outstanding food, generous portions, great choices, excellent service. Not one disappointing meal in eleven nights! The staff are friendly and helpful, the hotel elegant....I could go on for ever! One couple I met there told me they had been back every year for fifteen years - I can understand why, and am tempted to join that club!

Room Tip: We had a room facing the pool, lake and mountains. Worth paying extra for.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank peter s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baveno
0.3 km away
3.4 km away
Grand Hotel Bristol
Grand Hotel Bristol
#8 of 35 in Stresa

Been to Hotel Simplon? Share your experiences!